Transportation from Trieste to Venice

mamakore

Recently discovered that we are disembarking in Trieste not Venice and are looking for transportation for 2 couples from the cruise terminal to Venice. All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

We have used both train and GoOpti (taxi, shuttle service).

The former is much cheaper and a good option if you luggage doesn't weigh you down. I found their booking app very easy to use, though, of course, you can buy tickets at the station. The latter is door-to-door. However, the Trieste-Venice motorway can be very busy!

All kinds of options.

1) Hired car which you can find via a google search using terms Trieste/Venice/Transfer service
  - if you used a travel agent they should be able to provide you some options
  - with 4 of you the cost would not be that bad (found costs to be 400-500 range for the car)

2) Cruise transfer bus - have not seen one being offered by Oceania. Most go from the cruise port to 
    airport near Venice.  If so you still need to hop a cab/bus to venice or catch the water taxi from the airport to venice  to a dock close to your hotel ($$$)   I thought I saw a post on another cruise line saying its about 60-65/person.  

3) ItaliaRail   Trieste centrale to Venice San Lucia  -   Hop a cab from cruise port to trieste station (or 15 minute walk with bags).  Be careful as there are two stations for Venice.  San Lucia is the one on the island, Mestre is on the mainland closer to the airport.   Catch an express which takes about 2 hours and costs about 24 $ canadian per person  Train times don't necessarily sync with the disembarkation times.   For us we disembark at 8 am in Trieste and the direct/non stop to San Lucia is at 9:15.  Doubt we can make it as we plan to walk to the station.  Next direct non stop is about 12:15 so we will likely stow our bags at the locker service in the station and wander around the town and have an early bite.

4) Regional bus service.   By far the cheapest but also the longest way to get to Venice. Strikes me more as a back packer/hostel staying option. Be a bit of a shock after an O cruise for 10 days.

The hired car/limo is smoothest easiest.  Post on your roll call if you want to find some others to split a larger van but then you have to coordinate destinations in Venice (airport?/Hotel near airport or on island etc...)

• 2 weeks later...

We just discovered the same thing!  Oceania quotes $449 for their transportation to the airport per person and $699 per person to your hotel.  It is 95 miles.  We are happy to share a van with people to Venice.  Based on responses that I am seeing here, the train is even an option.  Jane Stricker. 917.716.8337 janestricker@yahoo.com. Robstricker@yahoo.com

Those looking for sharing a ride, you probably should ask about that in your cruise's roll call forum.  That is a much more targeted audience for those disembarking the same day as you, rather than in this general O forum.

• Like 1

We used a private car service, treviso airporter, booked online, for our transport from cruise ship in Trieste to Venice. They arranged for a water taxi to take us to our hotel as well. It was perfect. They handled our luggage, assisted with transfer to water taxi, who also helped with our luggage, dropping us at our hotel dock. Exceptionally easy, no waiting for others to get on the bus with Oceania transport! Cost was 400 euros for the four of us. 

We took the train - a few blocks for where we docked. We bought tickets on their app and it was easy and inexpensive ($30 each) - I think the train took about 2 hours. We were in port about 12 hours and spent a glorious morning, early afternoon wandering the canals before taking the train back,