What to do on our own in Fairbanks?

hrt4girls

Hello all, we are seasoned cruisers but have never been to Alaska.  We have a cruise tour this May/June and are working on our plans.  We fly into Fairbanks and arrive at 11:00 am.  Our plan is to drop our luggage at the hotel and then go out exploring. We aren't sure if we want to schedule an excursion through the hotel or go off on our own.   I have found the city bus webpage and it looks helpful.  Are there things that we shouldn't miss?  If we decide we would like a tour excursion are there tour operators available?  Is it like the Caribbean where they are just waiting for the non planners to arrive?  We have the afternoon and the evening to ourselves and don't want to miss something big.  Are there things at the University that we should see?  Thanks for your advice.

You wouldn't want to duplicate anything you'll be doing on the cruise tour. So what are you doing as part of that.

And, if you are seasoned travelers, I'd cancel the land portion of the tour and put together your own great trip with a rental car.

The cruise line sponsored cruise tour will likely include theRiverboat Discovery and the Gold Dredge #8 as the same family owns both and sells the tours as a package.

Our OP hasn't indicated their interests.  They need to google Explore Fairbanks to find the visitor and convention bureau website.  Lots of options listed on that website.

Our Fairbanks economy is very different than the cruise line driven economies of some of the south east Alaska ports.  While every component of an economy is important, tourism and, in particular, cruise line driven tourism is not a major factor.  There will not be booths of vendors greeting folks at the airport.  This certainly will not be like the Caribbean. 

The University of Alaska has the excellent Museum of the North.  

I also would recommend a DIY land tour.

Where are you staying? Second the Auto Museum and the University. Pioneer Park will be open and you could definitely waste some time there and then eat at the Alaska Salmon Bake. 

I'd look at the explore fairbanks webpage.  It's hard to know what you are interested in.  I'm not a museum person and I would go to Museum of the North.  You are correct, the bus system is good in FB.  Also, if you have to ask a question about the bus, the people are very helpful.  I suggest the bus, if you can't get a car or the prices are insane because often people are on a budget and the bus works well.  

Thanks for all your suggestions.  We haven't been assigned a hotel yet.  I think we have decided to use the bus and the university shuttle to explore the museum, the animal research center and perhaps figure out how to get a look at the pipeline.  We will only have the rest of the arrival day for exploring, so there isn't enough time to get the use out of a rental car.

3 hours ago, hrt4girls said:

Thanks for all your suggestions.  We haven't been assigned a hotel yet.  I think we have decided to use the bus and the university shuttle to explore the museum, the animal research center and perhaps figure out how to get a look at the pipeline.  We will only have the rest of the arrival day for exploring, so there isn't enough time to get the use out of a rental car.

I would disagree w you on your bus versus car logic.  How much would a car rental cost?  How long are you going to wait for buses and how much faster would it be to get from one place to another by car versus bus.  How much time will you waste walking from the nearest bus stop to where you want to be.  Do you want your short visit in Fairbanks to be limited by where you can get to by bus.  When are you going to get back to Fairbanks - probably never.  

Just think about it before you make a decision.  You can go onto Google Maps and work out you bus route options.  You can always reserve a car and cancel it later.  I am sure that Northern Aurora can provide her thoughts on this subject.

DON

10 hours ago, hrt4girls said:

I think we are on the same tour as you are. Check your current itinerary, ours just started showing the hotel this week. We are at the Westmark downtown. We are going to go ahead and rent a car to get the most out of the short time we have there. Plan is quick lunch at Cookie Jar, if we have time. Gold Dredge 8 (includes pipeline), then North Pole, Pioneer Village and downtown waterfront area if we have time. Dinner at maybe Pump House. Return Car, sleep, whew I'm tired already....lol.

Edited by Stevepcb64

2 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

I think we are on the same tour as you are. Check your current itinerary, ours just started showing the hotel this week. We are at the Westmark downtown. We are going to go ahead and rent a car to get the most out of the short time we have there. Plan is quick lunch at Cookie Jar, if we have time. Gold Dredge 8 (includes pipeline), then North Pole, Pioneer Village and downtown waterfront area if we have time. Dinner at maybe Pump House. Return Car, sleep, whew I'm tired already....lol.

We might be on the same trip. We arrive in Fairbanks on the 20th of May and then cruise on Royal Princess to Vancouver starting on the 25th. Your plan sounds very interesting. We would like to do something similar.  Gold Dredge 8 is definitely something we would like to see. I checked our itinerary and our hotel is Pikes Waterfront Lodge. So when you arrive are you dropping off your luggage at the welcome desk and then picking up your rental car before you leave the airport? Or is one of you going to the hotel with your luggage and another person getting the car and meeting at the hotel?  I am assuming there are taxis or Ubers to get you back to your hotel when you drop off the car that night. I am just trying to wrap my brain around the logistics of getting a rental car. Thanks so much for your input

43 minutes ago, Stevepcb64 said:

This review of North Pole AK describes my feelings about the place better than I can.  The TripAdvisor reviewer gave it 2 of 5 stars.  I would give it 1 of 5 and only because you can't give it zero stars.

"I read reviews on Trip Advisor prior to heading over to North Pole from Fairbanks. The reviews seemed promising, and our waiter at breakfast talked it up. We we were really disappointed. The store has a good amount of Christmas ornaments, and they have free pictures with Santa. I was able to see the entire store in about 10 minutes, and I didn't find anything unique worth buying. There are also reindeer at the other end of the parking lot, which you can pay to go into the enclosure and feed. Not sure how much that costs, as I didn't not go for the experience. Overall, a disappointment. I have seen better Christmas shops pop up in the malls around the holidays."

DON

10 hours ago, hrt4girls said:

We might be on the same trip. We arrive in Fairbanks on the 20th of May and then cruise on Royal Princess to Vancouver starting on the 25th. Your plan sounds very interesting. We would like to do something similar.  Gold Dredge 8 is definitely something we would like to see. I checked our itinerary and our hotel is Pikes Waterfront Lodge. So when you arrive are you dropping off your luggage at the welcome desk and then picking up your rental car before you leave the airport? Or is one of you going to the hotel with your luggage and another person getting the car and meeting at the hotel?  I am assuming there are taxis or Ubers to get you back to your hotel when you drop off the car that night. I am just trying to wrap my brain around the logistics of getting a rental car. Thanks so much for your input

Yep same itinerary for us. According to uncle google, it looks like Pikes is right at the airport so it should be easier for you. Ours is all the way downtown. I think the plan is for me to get the rental and my wife will go with the luggage to the hotel and I will pick her up there. But we may just drop the luggage at the desk, if we feel good about that and save some time. I'm hoping to get the hotel shuttle to the hotel when I drop off the rental but if not, yes it will be a taxi.

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This review of North Pole AK describes my feelings about the place better than I can.  The TripAdvisor reviewer gave it 2 of 5 stars.  I would give it 1 of 5 and only because you can't give it zero stars.

"I read reviews on Trip Advisor prior to heading over to North Pole from Fairbanks. The reviews seemed promising, and our waiter at breakfast talked it up. We we were really disappointed. The store has a good amount of Christmas ornaments, and they have free pictures with Santa. I was able to see the entire store in about 10 minutes, and I didn't find anything unique worth buying. There are also reindeer at the other end of the parking lot, which you can pay to go into the enclosure and feed. Not sure how much that costs, as I didn't not go for the experience. Overall, a disappointment. I have seen better Christmas shops pop up in the malls around the holidays."

DON

My expectations for North Pole are pretty low based on reading probably the same reviews. But, wife thinks it would be cool to check in on Facebook from the North Pole...lol. If we run short on time this will certainly be on the short list for getting cut out. Thanks for the input.

13 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

Check your current itinerary, ours just started showing the hotel this week.

We're not on the same itinerary as you (we arrive a few days later) but I noticed our hotel showed up this week as well.  I had to talk to my CVP about something unrelated but mentioned our hotel assignment showed up and he was surprised we were notified this early.  So I'm glad to hear others are getting assignments too and ours isn't a fluke or mixup 🙂  

20 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

Just a few comments from someone who lives in Fairbanks -- The Westmark is indeed downtown.  

For those who are doing a cruise line sponsored land trip two Fairbanks attractions generally include (if not always included) Gold Dredge #8 and the Riverboat Discovery.  Gold Dredge #8 is located very close to the pipeline viewing site closest to Fairbanks (about ten miles north of Fairbanks on the Steese Highway); this viewing site includes interpretative signs.  Before you purchase tickets to GD #8 make sure that it isn't included in your land package.  And remember that folks don't see the pipeline on the drive to Denali; I've had folks tell me that somehow they thought they would see it on the drive to DNP.

I would also suggest eliminating a visit to Santa Claus House at North Pole.  Santa Clause House is basically the "emporium of bad taste" in my opinion.  Almost nothing unique.  Basically junk made overseas.

Cookie Jar is not a great place for lunch.  When it was included that Food Network show (Dives, Dinners and whatever -- obviously I don't recall the name) there was surprise at the time that it was featured.

I don't know what you are planning to do along the waterfront area, but I would suggest a stop at the Morris Thompson Cultural Center.  If the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum is of interest (check their website -- this museum is worth a visit) it is a quick drive from the MTCC. Depending on what day of the week you are visiting, if the Tanana Valley Farmer's Market is operating (prior years they have opened on Wednesdays and Saturdays) then plan a stop there.

Pump House is a decent choice for dinner.  But if you like Thai the Lemon Grass is excellent.  Jazz Bistro is within walking distance of your hotel.

And I am not sure that the Westmark is going to offer a hotel shuttle from the airport after dropping off the rental car.  

18 hours ago, hrt4girls said:

Pike's Waterfront is essentially beside (other side of Airport Way) from a Fairbanks airport runway.  If folks don't have luggage they could walk to the hotel from the terminal.  

Regarding the rental car situation, the rental agencies have their airport desks directly across from the luggage carousels.  The cars are at the airport so no shuttle needed to reach the car lots.  And yes, Fairbanks has taxis and Uber drivers.  Actually, your particular hotel may have an airport shuttle (check their website to determine if they still offer an airport shuttle).  

While you could use the FNSB bus system and the campus shuttle to visit the Museum of the North and the LARS, but given your limited time the bus routes will eat a chunk of it .  A rental car would provide so much more flexibility and allow you to visit places like Running Reindeer Ranch.  Also, I don't know how you could use the FNSB bus system to reach the pipeline viewing site in the Fox area.  If you just want to visit the Museum of the North and LARS then consider taking a taxi to the Museum and then using the campus shuttle.

And, as I stated in another post, before purchasing tickets to Gold Dredge #8 make sure that your land package doesn't already include it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just a few comments from someone who lives in Fairbanks -- The Westmark is indeed downtown.  

For those who are doing a cruise line sponsored land trip two Fairbanks attractions generally include (if not always included) Gold Dredge #8 and the Riverboat Discovery.  Gold Dredge #8 is located very close to the pipeline viewing site closest to Fairbanks (about ten miles north of Fairbanks on the Steese Highway); this viewing site includes interpretative signs.  Before you purchase tickets to GD #8 make sure that it isn't included in your land package.  And remember that folks don't see the pipeline on the drive to Denali; I've had folks tell me that somehow they thought they would see it on the drive to DNP.

I would also suggest eliminating a visit to Santa Claus House at North Pole.  Santa Clause House is basically the "emporium of bad taste" in my opinion.  Almost nothing unique.  Basically junk made overseas.

Cookie Jar is not a great place for lunch.  When it was included that Food Network show (Dives, Dinners and whatever -- obviously I don't recall the name) there was surprise at the time that it was featured.

I don't know what you are planning to do along the waterfront area, but I would suggest a stop at the Morris Thompson Cultural Center.  If the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum is of interest (check their website -- this museum is worth a visit) it is a quick drive from the MTCC. Depending on what day of the week you are visiting, if the Tanana Valley Farmer's Market is operating (prior years they have opened on Wednesdays and Saturdays) then plan a stop there.

Pump House is a decent choice for dinner.  But if you like Thai the Lemon Grass is excellent.  Jazz Bistro is within walking distance of your hotel.

And I am not sure that the Westmark is going to offer a hotel shuttle from the airport after dropping off the rental car.  

So awesome to have a local pitching in with tips and suggestions. THANK YOU!!!

Best I can tell the Gold Dredge is not included in our tour, only the Riverboat. We are in Fairbanks on a Monday and we leave right after the Riverboat tour to go to Denali the next morning, Tuesday.

Thanks for the tip on Cookie Jar, I did see it was on DDD and that was exactly why we were looking at it. Any other local lunch suggestions? or dinner for that matter. I will look into Jazz Bistro.

Waterfront area just to check out the river,  and seems like saw something about an Antler Arch? And yes, the visitor/cultural center is in that same area. 

16 minutes ago, Stevepcb64 said:

So awesome to have a local pitching in with tips and suggestions. THANK YOU!!!

Best I can tell the Gold Dredge is not included in our tour, only the Riverboat. We are in Fairbanks on a Monday and we leave right after the Riverboat tour to go to Denali the next morning, Tuesday.

Thanks for the tip on Cookie Jar, I did see it was on DDD and that was exactly why we were looking at it. Any other local lunch suggestions? or dinner for that matter. I will look into Jazz Bistro.

Waterfront area just to check out the river,  and seems like saw something about an Antler Arch? And yes, the visitor/cultural center is in that same area. 

Interesting that GD#8 may not be included in your land package.  A local family owns both the GD and Riverboat Discovery so both attractions are often sold as a package.  The dredge itself is in good shape -- much better than the one outside of Dawson, Yukon Territory, but it is my understanding that Parks Canada has poured some restoration funds into that dredge in the last decade or so.

The antler arch is on the grounds of the Morris Thompson Cultural Center.  The center is well worth a visit.  And I hope you understand that you can walk from the Westmark to the MTCC.

Lunch options downtown include Soba (Moldovan cuisine) and the Thai House.  There is another Thai option downtown but I can't remember the name (it isn't our favorite Thai place). Also Lavelle's Bistro may be open during lunch; during the past few summers they have opened for lunch but we are experiencing a severe labor shortage so I don't know if they will be open for lunch this summer.  If you decide to visit the Antique Auto Museum then consider Geraldo's on College Road; the food is "Italian-ish."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

For those who are doing a cruise line sponsored land trip two Fairbanks attractions generally include (if not always included) Gold Dredge #8 and the Riverboat Discovery.  

I'm glad you mentioned this because I was wondering why people who are booked on the Princess cruisetour would do this tour on their own -- I thought it was always included.  

1 hour ago, Stevepcb64 said:

What does your Travel Summary document say?  Mine says this:  

Screenshot 2024-02-01 6.29.16 PM.png

34 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I'm glad you mentioned this because I was wondering why people who are booked on the Princess cruisetour would do this tour on their own -- I thought it was always included.  

My verbiage in my post #15 gave me some "wiggle room" regarding the pair (Riverboat and GD).  I felt I really shouldn't claim that the pair were "always" sold together to the cruise lines, but this is the first time I have heard of a Princess land package which didn't include both.  We spend about 90 days a year on a cruise ship doing lengthy fall and spring trips.  When fellow passengers find out that we are from Alaska we hear about their Alaska cruise.  When their trip to Alaska is on a cruise line sponsored package and they were in Fairbanks either pre- or post cruise I don't think that I have heard of someone only doing one (and not both).  The Binkley family, which owns both, makes it so easy to sell both attractions to the cruise lines as they even have facilities for lunch on their properties.

If @Stevepcb64 has a description of their day in Fairbanks which includes anything about trying to pan for gold, then they are going to the Gold Dredge #8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

What does your Travel Summary document say?  Mine says this:  

Screenshot 2024-02-01 6.29.16 PM.png

This is what ours says. I wish it was included but it doesn't look like it is on ours.

Fairbanks
AM RIVERBOAT

The Riverboat Discovery Cruise Board an authentic sternwheeler for a fully narrated 3-hour cruise along the Chena and Tanana rivers. See a bush pilot's demonstration, watch a fish wheel in operation and see the "Wedding of the Rivers," where the Chena and Tanana rivers converge. Alaska Native guides take you ashore at an authentic Athabascan village where you experience traditional Native lifestyles, enjoy the work of an Athabascan beadwork artist, and meet dogs from Susan Butcher's kennels.   Travel time is approximately 30 minutes each way. Lunch is not included and is on own.

8:15am - 12:45pm
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

My verbiage in my post #15 gave me some "wiggle room" regarding the pair (Riverboat and GD).  I felt I really shouldn't claim that the pair were "always" sold together to the cruise lines, but this is the first time I have heard of a Princess land package which didn't include both.  We spend about 90 days a year on a cruise ship doing lengthy fall and spring trips.  When fellow passengers find out that we are from Alaska we hear about their Alaska cruise.  When their trip to Alaska is on a cruise line sponsored package and they were in Fairbanks either pre- or post cruise I don't think that I have heard of someone only doing one (and not both).  The Binkley family, which owns both, makes it so easy to sell both attractions to the cruise lines as they even have facilities for lunch on their properties.

If @Stevepcb64 has a description of their day in Fairbanks which includes anything about trying to pan for gold, then they are going to the Gold Dredge #8.

I think we are getting hosed. lol

Fairbanks
AM RIVERBOAT

The Riverboat Discovery Cruise Board an authentic sternwheeler for a fully narrated 3-hour cruise along the Chena and Tanana rivers. See a bush pilot's demonstration, watch a fish wheel in operation and see the "Wedding of the Rivers," where the Chena and Tanana rivers converge. Alaska Native guides take you ashore at an authentic Athabascan village where you experience traditional Native lifestyles, enjoy the work of an Athabascan beadwork artist, and meet dogs from Susan Butcher's kennels.   Travel time is approximately 30 minutes each way. Lunch is not included and is on own.

COACH: FAIRBANKS RIVERBOAT TO DENALI

Motorcoach: Fairbanks to Denali Travel time is approximately 3 hours (121 miles).

8:15am - 12:45pm

I would also recommend just renting the car - May 20 is fairly early in the season and I think people underestimate how spread out Fairbanks is. You'll be able to fit a lot more in and maybe be a little spontaneous if you come across a suggestion you want to chase down. 

AM or PM Riverboat only is a common itinerary for pax that just spend one night in Fairbanks as part of their land tour.