Melbourne CBD to cruise port

What is the best way to get from our hotel (Ibis Budget Melbourne, at Collins and Elizabeth Strs) to the cruise port?  My husband and I will  have a medium suitcase and a carry on each.

Thanks for any advice.

Barb

The cheapest option is the 109 tram which runs down Collins St just around the corner from your hotel.

The best option is taxi or Uber. It is just a 15 minute ride to Station Pier.

If you don't already have a Myki card each, they can be purchased from any 7 Eleven

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matamanoa said:

What is the best way to get from our hotel (Ibis Budget Melbourne, at Collins and Elizabeth Strs) to the cruise port?  My husband and I will  have a medium suitcase and a carry on each.

Thanks for any advice.

Barb

If you feel you can easily manage your luggage, you hotel is just around the corner from a stop for the 109 tram which will take to Beacon Cove Port Melbourne - about a 20 minute ride. It is then around a 300-350 metre walk to the cruise terminal. Other than the tram, a taxi or Uber would be best. 

Another question if you don't mind.  We will be using the tram service on Easter Sunday to get to the cruise port.  Due to the holiday, will tram service run on a lighter schedule with fewer trains available?

Barb

7 hours ago, matamanoa said:

Another question if you don't mind.  We will be using the tram service on Easter Sunday to get to the cruise port.  Due to the holiday, will tram service run on a lighter schedule with fewer trains available?

Barb

Public holidays (including Easter) use a weekend timetable which means there is a tram every 9-11 minutes. Please ensure you have your Myki card before travelling. 

If you use an Android phone and have Google wallet, you can add the Myki app to it and use that. Android Myki App

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I hope you enjoy your time in Melbourne Barb.

I'm sure we will.  The only problem is that we have so little time to discover your wonderful city.  My husband and I will be coming through Melbourne on a cruise and so that affords us one day in the area.  We don't plan on going into the city that particular day as we will be back again after the cruise ends.  At that time, we will have two days to see whatever we can of Melbourne and then we're off again on another cruise.  So the first time in port, we are going to stay in the port area and discover the shops, restaurants and galleries in the beach area and Bay St.  On our second time in Melbourne a week later, we will have more time to see what the CBD has to offer and I'm sure we'll enjoy our brief stay.

Barb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I'm sure we will.  The only problem is that we have so little time to discover your wonderful city.  My husband and I will be coming through Melbourne on a cruise and so that affords us one day in the area.  We don't plan on going into the city that particular day as we will be back again after the cruise ends.  At that time, we will have two days to see whatever we can of Melbourne and then we're off again on another cruise.  So the first time in port, we are going to stay in the port area and discover the shops, restaurants and galleries in the beach area and Bay St.  On our second time in Melbourne a week later, we will have more time to see what the CBD has to offer and I'm sure we'll enjoy our brief stay.

Barb

What are your interests? We can perhaps offer some suggestions.

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What are your interests? We can perhaps offer some suggestions.

We love quaint little shops and alleyways, art museums (not modern art).  We are taking a guided walk around the CBD one morning, so that should show us some interesting places that we might want to pop back to.  We like antiques and historic architecture.  And - I love tea rooms and being able to have a cream tea! 

We love quaint little shops and alleyways, art museums (not modern art).  We are taking a guided walk around the CBD one morning, so that should show us some interesting places that we might want to pop back to.  We like antiques and historic architecture.  And - I love tea rooms and being able to have a cream tea! 

Then you will LOVE Melbourne. If you are paying for your guided walk, DON'T. You can do a free tour run by the city  There is a bit of a trademark dispute happening over at the Hopetoun Tearooms in the Block Arcade. It is now called "The Tea Rooms 1892" But still worth visiting. https://thetearooms1892.com.au/ 

Around Port Melbourne and even Bay St is not that interesting. I am there every week and would not recommend going there unless you want lunch at one of the nice cafes. I would, however, recommend going a few suburbs down to St Kilda. You could walk along the beach to get there and catch an Uber back (it is about 5km) https://stkildamelbourne.com.au/visitor-info/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarramar said:

Then you will LOVE Melbourne. If you are paying for your guided walk, DON'T. You can do a free tour run by the city  There is a bit of a trademark dispute happening over at the Hopetoun Tearooms in the Block Arcade. It is now called "The Tea Rooms 1892" But still worth visiting. https://thetearooms1892.com.au/ 

Around Port Melbourne and even Bay St is not that interesting. I am there every week and would not recommend going there unless you want lunch at one of the nice cafes. I would, however, recommend going a few suburbs down to St Kilda. You could walk along the beach to get there and catch an Uber back (it is about 5km) https://stkildamelbourne.com.au/visitor-info/

Thanks for the useful tips.  The walk we are taking is free and is run by the city.  They do cover a fair bit of ground so should give us the most value for the short amount of time we have in Melbourne. A friend did recommend the Hopetoun Tea Room and said that we might need a reservation.  From the pictures that I've seen for the lineups waiting to get in, we'll keep our fingers crossed that we can get a seat without too much of a wait.  It looks just like my kind of place.   I'll check out the website you suggested for St. Kilda.

Thanks for the useful tips.  The walk we are taking is free and is run by the city.  They do cover a fair bit of ground so should give us the most value for the short amount of time we have in Melbourne. A friend did recommend the Hopetoun Tea Room and said that we might need a reservation.  From the pictures that I've seen for the lineups waiting to get in, we'll keep our fingers crossed that we can get a seat without too much of a wait.  It looks just like my kind of place.   I'll check out the website you suggested for St. Kilda.

If the Tea rooms at the Block Arcade are inundated by cruise ship passengers 😂, you could try another iconic Melbourne establishment. The Windsor