YC One Time Change Questions

SeasideMemories

We are currently booked in YC on Seascape for Nov 2024. There is an Explora cruise that we saw and are interested in taking in Jan 2025 but would be too close, vacation time-wise, to our already booked MSC cruise.

What we’d like to do is use our “one-time move” of our MSC non-refundable YC deposit to pull our Nov 2024 cruise back in to May 2024 and switch from YC on Seascape to YC on Seashore. Anyone know if this is possible? Also the May cruise is a little less $$ so would our final price be the going price for the May cruise or the higher price for the already booked Nov cruise?

I have searched and all I can find is people wanting to move their date out to a future date and not a closer date from the date booked. Also from what I see on the MSC website they only discuss a change to different dates/itinerary but no mention of changing ships.

I know MSC will have the final word on what is possible but we are relatively new to this cruiseline so would at least like to have some knowledge before I make the call.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

If you did not book aboard (Future Cruise Program) I don't believe it will work. Following is from MSC booking and terms.

The new departure date must be within 90 days of the original departure date. Any change to a date that is more than 90 days from the original departure date is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges.

Also I hear from others it has to be 90 days after not before the cruise. 

If you booked onboard the FCP applies.

" Allowed to move a cruise date within the term of 1 year from the departure date of the cruise package originally chosen."  The 90 days has been removed. However MSC customer service is hard to work with and I don't know what's happening in the real word.

If I'm reading it right the standard booking terms say you don't get a refund on the lower price but with the FCP you do.

Standard booking and terms

If the price of the new Cruise Package is lower than that of the original Cruise Package, no refund will be due to the Passenger

FCP

"If the fare of the new cruise package is lower than the original one, the the new fare shall apply".

All of our 10 cruises on MSC have been in the YC, so protecting the deposit is important.

Edited by Todd320

1 hour ago, SeasideMemories said:

Also from what I see on the MSC website they only discuss a change to different dates/itinerary but no mention of changing ships.

I have changed ship and itinerary.  Went from Seaside (eastern) out of Miami to Seashore (western) out of Port Canaveral..

Typically you can only move a cruise to a later date, not an earlier date, but I suspect there is some latitude on this, especially if the reason is to facilitate an Explora booking...

Edited by Mark_T

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Typically you can only move a cruise to a later date, not an earlier date, but I suspect there is some latitude on this, especially if the reason is to facilitate an Explora booking...

They are acting as independent companies; I can't see one side of the Balance Sheet bending to help the others.

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

They are acting as independent companies; I can't see one side of the Balance Sheet bending to help the others.

I understand, but I recently moved a cruise and initially the agent thought I was asking to move it to an earlier date, and he asked for the reason as he would have to get approval from 'the corporate office' to do that and the reason could make a difference...

That didn't sound like a blanket 'no' to me...

Anyway, it falls under the general heading of 'it never hurts to ask...' 🙂

Edited by Mark_T

23 hours ago, SeasideMemories said:

Also the May cruise is a little less $$ so would our final price be the going price for the May cruise or the higher price for the already booked Nov cruise?

Also from what I see on the MSC website they only discuss a change to different dates/itinerary but no mention of changing ships.

I can only give you my experience but it may answer at least 2 of your questions which I quoted above.

I booked a 7 night Med cruise on MSC Opera for 5/12/24. I was able to make the "one time change" to a 5/12/24 MSC Seashore 7 night Caribbean cruise. 

The Seashore cruise was about $100 less than the Opera cruise (the going price at the time of the change). So my balance due is the lower amount. At the time of the change, I had only paid the deposit.

Hope this helps. When you get some answers, I hope you'll get back to us and share your experience.

Edited by wikoffclan
grammer

Despite being a seasoned MSC cruiser I have not heard of this ability to switch dates. 

is it “one time in a lifetime” like the status match?   And a full year if booked on board?