Traveling to Australia with a narcotic

I have a prescription for hydrocodone for a back injury to take as needed. 

I have been reading about taking prescriptions to Australia.

All of my prescriptions including this are in their original bottles.

Is there anything I need to do at the airport? (sorry ignorance on my part--I travel with them all the time & have never had an issue in N. America, C. America, Caribbean & Europe)

Thanks for your help.

From experience, an important thing for you to do will be to declare that you have drugs with you. It is possible that you will then be asked to show them or you will be just asked if they are for your personal medicinal use. If you don't declare and they are found, then your problems may well start..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fixi said:

8 hours ago, Cascade1 said:

From experience, an important thing for you to do will be to declare that you have drugs with you. It is possible that you will then be asked to show them or you will be just asked if they are for your personal medicinal use. If you don't declare and they are found, then your problems may well start..

Thank you both so much.

It is in the original prescription bottle, with the prescription attatched.

I just wanted to do things right & simplify the process!

(I usually use a pill container for my couple of daily meds & just bring the narcotic in it's bottle but I figured leaving them all in bottles would be more prudent this time)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

I'm sure all will be fine - golden rules: original prescription containers, prescription or doctor's note if the item is questionable, and declare if asked.  I've never had my pills queried or inspected, even though for a few years mine included steroids. They are well used to travellers [cough] of a certain age carrying a variety of pills. PS, take a few days extra supply just in case of unforeseen delays getting back home 🛩️

• Like 1

I always get a letter from the Dr stating what medications are prescribed and how many milligrams in each tablet.  Once filled I've always found the the pharmacist keeps hold of the script.