Taxis or Uber Available At Port in Belfast, Galway, Dublin, and Cork?

This May we'll be doing the NCL cruise around Ireland. My husband is an avid amateur landscape photographer so in several ports we've reserved rental cars so we can go where we want and stay as long as we want (until 2 hours before ship's sailing time, that is).  We're from the US but have driven on the left side of the road in Scotland so we're not concerned about that.  I just want to be sure we can count on either a taxi or uber at the cruise port to take us to get the rental car.  Does anybody know if taxis/ubers are usually available at Belfast, Galway, Dublin, and Cork?  We're picking up the cars at the airport at each city except Dublin, where I reserved it at Dublin South - Dun Laohaire since that's where the ship docks.

Thanks.

Taxis will be available. Uber in Ireland will just get you a taxi, it is not like in other countries where you get a private citizen in their own car.

If you want, you can use an app called Freenow to book your taxi.

3 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

Does anybody know if taxis/ubers are usually available at Belfast, Galway, Dublin, and Cork?  We're picking up the cars at the airport at each city except Dublin, where I reserved it at Dublin South - Dun Laohaire since that's where the ship docks.

For Cork, you will dock in Cobh.  The airport is the last place that I would attempt to collect a car in Cork.  There is a local car rental company in Cobh - expensive, but you will save a lot of time!  Or take the train at the dock to Cork and Hertz is just beside the train station.  

I would guestimate the taxi fare from Cobh to Cork Airport at about €70 each way.

Thanks!  I’ll check out the app and reconsider the plan for Cork.  If anybody else has info or suggestions on car rentals I’d appreciate hearing it. 

Our original plan to see Ireland was to fly into Dublin, rent a car, and drive around for 2 weeks so my husband could stop wherever he wanted to take pictures. That’s our usual method of traveling. But, long story short, because my husband was 75 there were issues with him driving a rental in Ireland. We didn’t want me to do all the driving for 2 weeks so this cruise is a compromise. I can handle driving a few hours for a few days, I’m just not entirely sure it won’t be a huge hassle to pick up the car in some of the ports. 

35 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

For Cork, you will dock in Cobh.  The airport is the last place that I would attempt to collect a car in Cork.  There is a local car rental company in Cobh - expensive, but you will save a lot of time!  Or take the train at the dock to Cork and Hertz is just beside the train station.  

I would guestimate the taxi fare from Cobh to Cork Airport at about €70 each way.

I see that Great Island Car Rentals has a location at Cobh Cruise Terminal.  Is it safe to assume that's where our ship will dock?  There isn't another location the cruise ships go to, is there?  It's only a little more expensive than the cars at the airport but it would be incredibly nice to be able to pick up and drop off right at the port.

After more research and discussion we've decided to take the train to the Hertz location in Cork.  We'll have to return the car to the Cork City Centre instead of the train station, but it appears to be a short walk back to the train station so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help.  I feel better about the stop in Cork now.  [...smile...]

4 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

I see that Great Island Car Rentals has a location at Cobh Cruise Terminal.  Is it safe to assume that's where our ship will dock?  There isn't another location the cruise ships go to, is there?  It's only a little more expensive than the cars at the airport but it would be incredibly nice to be able to pick up and drop off right at the port.

There is another location for docking (Ringaskiddy), but NCL in May will be docking in Cobh.

3 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

After more research and discussion we've decided to take the train to the Hertz location in Cork.  We'll have to return the car to the Cork City Centre instead of the train station, but it appears to be a short walk back to the train station so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help.  I feel better about the stop in Cork now.  [...smile...]

It is a very short walk.  Just a few minutes!