Live and Solo: B2B on Oasis Feb 4 - 18, a Running report

On 2/4/2024 at 5:59 PM, GetToLivin said:

Our last few cruises we have sailed in a suite as well, and bags haven't shown up until 5pm or 6pm, try not to stress!

Our bags have been beating us to the room.  We're always in the first boarding group, regular rooms /not suites.  

On 2/4/2024 at 8:52 PM, DandDM said:

Photos from dinner.

Thanks, I love to see pictures of the food!  

How was the cheesecake?  I'm a bit of a cheesecake snob. 

On 2/6/2024 at 11:19 AM, DandDM said:

Hideaway is on the windward side of the island and boy was it windy!

Thanks for the pictures -- these are the first I've seen of Hideaway Beach.  I wonder if it's always windy or if it was so bad because of that storm. 

Was the coconut shrimp included or extra cost?  I cruise mainly to eat shrimp (not really, but not completely joking either).  

On 2/6/2024 at 8:44 PM, DandDM said:

Since the meat dishes have only been ok the first two nights, wanted to try the fish, so The Brazino.

LOVE the Brazino, and it's supposed to be a sustainable fish -- good /better than other fish for the environment somehow.  

On 2/7/2024 at 10:29 PM, HBE4 said:

See what you can discover about Project Discovery.

I'd love to know more about this.  We favor the mid-sized ships -- Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Independence -- and would like to see more of them added to the fleet.  

On 2/8/2024 at 9:28 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not the OP, but I cruise solo and I am quite happy to sit by myself, thank you. 

I'm okay with sitting alone most of the time.  I wish they'd build in more ocean-front bar seating in Windjammer like they have on Grandeur.  Ideal for the solo diner.  

On 2/10/2024 at 1:56 AM, perfect match said:

So, you’re starting to understand what happens to one’s body as one gets older!

Hey, I'm past 50, and I've barely slowed down -- yes, I'm about 1/3 gray and have orthopedic inserts in my shoes, but I'm not slowing down yet.  Don't go scarin' the young folks.   

36 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Our bags have been beating us to the room.  We're always in the first boarding group, regular rooms /not suites.  

Thanks, I love to see pictures of the food!  

How was the cheesecake?  I'm a bit of a cheesecake snob. 

Thanks for the pictures -- these are the first I've seen of Hideaway Beach.  I wonder if it's always windy or if it was so bad because of that storm. 

Was the coconut shrimp included or extra cost?  

I'd love to know more about this.  We favor the mid-sized ships -- Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Independence -- and would like to see more of them added to the fleet.  

A few answers:

the cheese cake was fantastic and I would/will order it again. 

I think hideaway will away be windier than other spots based on its location, but on a hot day, that could be nice. Our visit had some extreme weather!  I’ll be back this week and will see what’s it’s like (to coco cay, didn’t buy a pass to hideaway this time). 

all food included , although you go to a window to order instead of a buffet. 

Haven’t heard any more (other than confirmation from other guests that it was said). Top tier is tomorrow and not sure if I’ll make it…but will report if I’m there!  

Edited by DandDM
Clarification
  • Like 2

Had the option between two included drinks. Choose this one which is basically a mojito. It’s very refreshing and  enjoyable on this muggy evening. Ended up ordering a second one and may have more. We have a dedicated server up here so service has been great. 

IMG_8128.thumb.jpeg.575062f93335ed196dba8a3e37e4afc0.jpeg

• Like 3

Have a great day going!  Sea day today. Woke up early, and other than some heartburn in the middle of the night from the fried food, had a great night’s sleep. Got going slowly, rehydrated, had some coffee and fruit. After a good stretch went for a run on the promenade track. As it was an interesting and good run will go into some detail. 

Started out strong, but also got a little winded. Checked my timer and calculated that I did the first mile in just under 10 minutes. While I was pleased that I hit that mark, knew that I couldn’t sustain the pace. It was also very busy and part of that pace was me speeding up to go around people, which I knew would wear me out quickly. Photo of an especially busy stretch. 
IMG_8133.thumb.jpeg.c2b1b4a84ccdec8b5f0ee9080d1ce944.jpeg

After five laps, decided this would be a long run so committed myself to run at least 12 laps and aim for 15. Had my water bottle and stopped every few laps to get a drink. No hydration issues today. However, next to where I stored the bottle, saw this top and bottom of a ladies swim suit…had a few thoughts of how it got there!

IMG_8135.thumb.jpeg.6967d7d147e5607e0e9ca832b026bb73.jpeg

On lap 7, my brain was elsewhere (maybe still thinking about the disposed clothing) and didn’t notice the slight rise in the track. One of my feet caught and I stumbled and fell - of course in front of people! Luckily I had a pretty soft landing and no injuries or pain. On lap 9 had a shoelace come untied. I bring these things up, because at that point, wasn’t feeling good about the run and started to talk myself into stopping at ten laps…but I’d promised myself at least 12, so powered through. 

Glad I did as soon got a second wind and had a few good laps, then it was lap 15 and nothing was going to stop me. Finished strong and have now done my first full length training run for the 10k as 15 laps is ten kilometers!  Time was 67 minutes, well under a 11 min/mile. 

Vegas will be a different run with a ton of other racers and 1800 feet of altitude, but I’m pretty confident I’ll get through it now without issues. BTW, race is two weeks from yesterday. 

Edited by DandDM
Typo
  • Like 8

After cooling down and cleaning up, time for lunch!

Started with tomato soup with little sandwiches that someone told me the other day was his favorite thing on the lunch menu. I agree, the sandwich dipped in the soup was superb!  Too bad the sandwiches were so small…

IMG_8136.thumb.jpeg.cfe477069541a33157406fdf6e226cb5.jpeg

Next was the wedge salad. I’d seen this but not tried it. It was tasty and well plated, but really not my thing, I think the amount of dressing turned me off it. 

IMG_8137.thumb.jpeg.b8bda51b5cc946e6034aa2cc4ede7dab.jpeg

For the entree, went back to the salmon, I really liked it last time and it was just as good today. 
IMG_8138.thumb.jpeg.0f43b72b882e786629d29beeaede06a2.jpegNo dessert, but had white wine. As tomorrow is Labedee again, I’m going to take it easy today on the drink so I’m sure not to miss it…see how that goes!

• Like 3

We’re on Freedom now.  Tomorrow is Coco Cay.  I’m hoping for a less interesting day.  We got Hideaway Beach for a very small fee, I’m interested to see what it’s like.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ATG said:

We’re on Freedom now.  Tomorrow is Coco Cay.  I’m hoping for a less interesting day.  We got Hideaway Beach for a very small fee, I’m interested to see what it’s like.

Good luck!  Seas have been very nice for us today. 

Hmmm, maybe not the best idea, but I have two of these in my fridge!  I WILL make it to Labedee tomorrow!  (That is a message to myself). 
IMG_0010.thumb.jpeg.433faa37f6f9a0035794dea6f0572c25.jpeg

Went out on deck for awhile, but it is very busy and a bit windy (mostly from the ships speed, I think, as the seas are smooth). So I’m relaxing on my balcony, doing some Vegas research for next week. 

• Like 3

Dinner tonight at Giovanni’s. It was my favorite last week so pleased to return. 

Started with Minestrone soup. I always enjoy Minestrone but end up ordering something else. Tonight I’m glad I got it, was very good and a nice solid start to the meal. 
IMG_8143.thumb.jpeg.c9383d49801f2b1a333abe65c700b2c3.jpeg

pasta was …. Surprise … the mushroom risotto. Third time I’ve had it this trip and it never disappoints. 
IMG_8144.thumb.jpeg.eeb7d7f58b828ba4d3e11e8f969b165e.jpeg

For main dish, went with the Fillet. I’ve had this one and the chops fillet on consecutive nights in the past, and I prefer the Giovanni one. It also blew the one in CK away. 
IMG_8145.thumb.jpeg.8489ba6ad071a04ca4e88bdfbde54e18.jpeg

Tiramisu for dessert. This wasn’t that great, pretty mild flavor. The biscotti was my favorite part. 

IMG_8146.thumb.jpeg.11b38955c090123412932737e2d32d8d.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DandDM said:

Vegas will be a different run with a ton of other racers and 1800 feet of altitude, but I’m pretty confident I’ll get through it now without issues. BTW, race is two weeks from yesterday

I hope you’ll come back here and let us know how the race goes. I know I’d like to see how the training we have been following you do paid off for you in the race. I’m proud of you for keeping that run going yesterday in spite of adversity. Well done! 👍 

• Like 2

As for the Daily Planner, I did a b-2-b recently and had my room guy put the Planner inside my cabin because I noticed passengers helping themselves to the Planners that were in the mail slot.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, perfect match said:

I hope you’ll come back here and let us know how the race goes. I know I’d like to see how the training we have been following you do paid off for you in the race. I’m proud of you for keeping that run going yesterday in spite of adversity. Well done! 👍 

Me too!

11 hours ago, perfect match said:

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Me too!

Will do!  Considering doing a short trip report on the race on a site called Vegas message board, but leaning against since other than the run, won’t be a very exciting trip. Either way, will post here. 

cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, JamesEM said:

As for the Daily Planner, I did a b-2-b recently and had my room guy put the Planner inside my cabin because I noticed passengers helping themselves to the Planners that were in the mail slot.

Just seems random when I get stuff!  Today I got a print out of celebrity cruises from next cruise….

About to head to Labedee, definitely making it this week. Had a pretty mellow evening yesterday so was up early. 

Had an interesting run; before I started, the Captain announced a staff only drill. When I started running, there were a few white jumpsuited engineers fiddling around the lifeboats. As time went on, more and more staff showed up, quickly realized they were doing a muster drill. Eventually there were probably over a hundred folks lining the track, felt like it was a spectator event!  I think because they were there I ran faster than usual, ended up doing 10 laps (4.2 miles) in 43 minutes. Happy with that run as I was a bit sore from yesterday, this was run eight. 

After my run did something I shouldn’t have…found a scale. Backing up: yesterday I put on some shorts that I hadn’t worn since early in the cruise. I thought they felt tight, then I could help but check my belly out in the mirror. The weigh in was right after my run, and I was wearing my sweaty clothes and shoes, plus I don’t have a comparison on that scale…but it said I’ve GAINED FIVE POUNDS!!

Disappointing for sure. I guess I’ve had large portions, and the food has been rich. I’ve also drank much more than I usually do. But was really hoping I’d at least hold steady. Oh well, I bet this is weight I can lose quickly when I get back to regular life. Also got me thinking about where I would be if I treated this like a regular cruise!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 8:51 PM, DandDM said:

My cabin is on the port, or left, side. Was looking at the parking lot in Miami and at all four ports, was on the non- dock side. Don’t know if this changes from cruise to cruise…

Oasis class (and Icon, as far as I can tell) are designed to dock primarily on the starboard side.  They will usually try to do so whenever possible.

Edited by compuryan

3 hours ago, compuryan said:

Oasis class (and Icon, as far as I can tell) are designed to dock primarily on the starboard side.  They will usually try to do so whenever possible.

Now that I think about that, I guess it makes sense as there is that escalator on that side…. Labadee was starboard again. 

7 minutes ago, DandDM said:

Now that I think about that, I guess it makes sense as there is that escalator on that side…. Labadee was starboard again. 

Exactly! Escalator plus a large area for security screening.  Port side has less than half the space.

I want to say this wasn’t a ‘f - it’ meal in response to my weigh in today…but you can decide. 

Venue is chops. bread….

IMG_8171.thumb.jpeg.5edab41bb57ab253f35648d06c8b89f9.jpeg

First dish:bacon slab. I thought it was more fatty than usual, but very tasty. 
IMG_8170.thumb.jpeg.5d45cae791b7f9f84b90c2cc9cbc9796.jpeg

wild mushroom soup as I love mushrooms. This was the worst course of the night (still very good), as the flavors was so-so and a bit salty. 
IMG_8173.thumb.jpeg.cc96f78d366336183b8a7c83d1f0434a.jpeg

Lamb more main course with asparagus and baked potato. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I’m not that big into steak, and found the lamb with its sauce to be very good. 
IMG_8175.thumb.jpeg.6cee67e37e0b18d533de713c0b1bc477.jpegIMG_8174.thumb.jpeg.7bcfd7a2b430331eaa41d677839b9108.jpeg

Hot lave cake (or whatever they call it on RC), this is the first dessert I’ve finished this cruise. 
IMG_8176.thumb.jpeg.19b1ec50eafbb5315d28c7dff0df5afa.jpeg

cheers, 

• Like 4

Yesterday in Labadee. Third stop here for me…first time went straight to a beach to meet some people then went for a sail and swim. Second time didn’t get off the ship. This time, made sure to check out as much as I could. 

It was hot with little wind. I took this later, when I left the ship, it said 86. Big change from last week. 
IMG_8168.thumb.jpeg.7682f49d521b046c9bc7386ffe794eb4.jpeg

Was welcomed to shore. 
IMG_8152.thumb.jpeg.e9fc9b5010016b88f7ee726322519b1f.jpeg

climbed some steps and around some trails. 
IMG_8154.thumb.jpeg.9834817997c0eecae44d7f3211d9093d.jpegIMG_8156.thumb.jpeg.b50ab15756f5e32c299f00e42e5adbff.jpeg

ended up at hideaway beach for a couple hours, ate, got in the water and laid out for a bit. Didn’t take any photos. Notable item at the buffet was a shrimp sandwich roll. I saw it after I’d already had some other stuff and so didn’t try (it looked good!)

Some other photos from my exploring to follow. I did walk through the craft area and a few vendors approach me, but gave up quickly when I said I wasn’t shopping or had no money. 

My initial thought is that I prefer Labedee over Coco Cay because of the paved trails and more ‘natural’ feel. 

IMG_8166.thumb.jpeg.24787d637223457ba9734d12a795b524.jpegIMG_8163.thumb.jpeg.fbc95eed101ba83e8c395daac251bd4a.jpegIMG_8162.thumb.jpeg.8f22b6c9478de96f977979ba297a9424.jpegIMG_8160.thumb.jpeg.16592e218af5e9bf59a659641fe3374c.jpegIMG_8150.thumb.jpeg.aec6c23e1908f2b2c68ef91f223f3232.jpeg

• Like 2