Shuttle to Southampton Airport?

I'm not aware of any cruise line which offers shuttles to Southampton airport.

Ā 

The two useable options are by train or taxi.

There are several trains per hour from Southampton Central station to Southampton Parkway Airport station, 10 minute journey, fare only Ā£4.70 pp. You then use the elevators at that station to cross the train lines, and the airport terminal is less than 100 yards.

To the airport by taxi from the cruise terminal will be about Ā£23.

But If you need a taxi from your cruise terminal to Southampton Central station that'll chop into the savings, so a taxi direct to the airport (about 20 minutes) is probably be a better bet.Ā 

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

Thank you, but I am now thinking it might be easier to take the Princess shuttle (if there is one) to LHR and book my onward flight to Scotland from there rather than from Southampton. How long would I need to allow for travel to LHR terminal 5 on a Saturday? I'd rather go in a lounge at LHR than risk missing my flight.

Yes, Princess provide transfers to LHR and LGW (and usually central London)

Ā 

Saturday mornings šŸ™‚Ā are usually easy on roads leading to London (often clogged on roads fromĀ London on summer saturdays). Unless there's an unusual major delay, journey time by ships' transfer coaches about 90 minutes, by private transfer about 75 minutes.

Ā 

I can't imagine it being easier than flying from Southampton - like most big international airports it's a bit of a zoo - crowds, long lines, long walks, T 5 has two satellite departure areas.
Southampton is a sleepy one-terminal airport, departure gates right by the arrivals hall, aircraft right by the terminal exit, no lines, people who smile, etc.

Airfares a little higher from Southampton, but balanced by the higher cost of travel to LHR.

Ā 

We frequently fly from Southampton for domestic & some European destinations.

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

11 hours ago, Korimako said:

Thank you, but I am now thinking it might be easier to take the Princess shuttle (if there is one) to LHR and book my onward flight to Scotland from there rather than from Southampton. How long would I need to allow for travel to LHR terminal 5 on a Saturday? I'd rather go in a lounge at LHR than risk missing my flight.

That is simpler than taking a Ā£23 taxi to Southampton airport and flying from there?Ā 
Ā 

I think you got confused by @John Bullā€™s comment about taking the train to the airport, which, depending on your arrival terminal, might require a taxi to the station. Ignore that, just take a cab straight to the airport.Ā 

Thanks all. I wasn't Ā really clear in my 'easier' comment. Flying from LHR is a direct flight to my destination, whereas I have a connection if I go from Southampton and the onward flight is on Sunday as there are no Saturday flights, which would mean an airport hotel. Prepared to put up with LHR for that reason!!

48 minutes ago, Korimako said:

Thanks all. I wasn't Ā really clear in my 'easier' comment. Flying from LHR is a direct flight to my destination, whereas I have a connection if I go from Southampton and the onward flight is on Sunday as there are no Saturday flights, which would mean an airport hotel. Prepared to put up with LHR for that reason!!

Deleted.Ā 

Edited by gnome12

• 4 weeks later...

Flying to Southampton airport would be really convenient and avoids having to transfer there from a different city. But the choice of airlines, flights and times is pretty limited.

5 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

HelloĀ 

We are taking a cruise out of Southampton flying from U.S. which airport Ā you recommend

Southampton ? Or Heathrow Ā TIA Ā 

Ā 

Flights from Southampton airport are only to domestic and European airports, theĀ nearest airports for inter-continental flights are London Heathrow LHR (60 miles, average 90 minutes) and London Gatwick LGW (90 miles, 1 hr 45 mins).

Ā 

You can fly Southampton to several European hubs including several flights daily to Amsterdam and Paris, but most who fly to North America find direct flights from those London airports much simpler, quicker and more economical

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ā 

Flights from Southampton airport are only to domestic and European airports, theĀ nearest airports for inter-continental flights are London Heathrow LHR (60 miles, average 90 minutes) and London Gatwick LGW (90 miles, 1 hr 45 mins).

Ā 

You can fly Southampton to several European hubs including several flights daily to Amsterdam and Paris, but most who fly to North America find direct flights from those London airports much simpler, quicker and more economical

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

Ā 

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

Got it. Tank youĀ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 2:49 PM, Korimako said:

Do Princess have a shuttle to Southampton Airport? I'll ask on Princess board also.

Not sure if you got your answer yet; but Princess does have a shuttle from Southampton port to Heathrow.Ā  We booked it directly on their site for $56 pp. for the end of our Transatlantic on 5/19.

• 2 months later...