Oceania Vista and Explora Journeys Compared

Waltershipman

Curently sailing on Oceanis Vista with some conclusions from my experiences as compared to Explora Journeys having sailed on EJ in October 2023. Both ships are new builds. One thing to remember is that much of what I am sharing is highly subjective and depends on ones tastes.

Vista operates top to bottom like a regular very nice cruise ship.  EJ is a cruise ship yet offering something very different more akin to a high end luxury hotel. Both ships lovely.

Food on EJ is best I've ever had at sea overall.

The ⁹Vista bed is better.

Entertainment on Vista is better. EJ staff more personally focused and generally more attentive while Vista staff is cruise ship professional.

GDR is big beautiful loud and enjoyable on Vista while EJ intimate restaurants are tops. When we were on EJ it was less than half full so that may be hard to compare since Vista is full at 1200 pax. Embarkation on both ships excellent. On EJ no crew assistance at all when getting off and on ship and no assistance with info on how to get to a town or sites at ports.

Smoked salmon on Vista is better at least more to my tastes.
The poolside music on Vista is great and is wonderfully typical of big fun Carribean cruise

Bathrooms on entry level cabins are comparable although the cabin on E J is a bit larger and the extra 9 square feet is a big plus, plus the separate makeup  dressing area on EJ also big plus. Heated floor on EJ bathroom a real winner. Vista shower is excellent. The light on large mirror in bathroom on Vista has a secret button that even our cabin steward was not aware of that dims the light on mirror which is great to use instead of the blue night light in entry. Vista night light are less intrusive  than EJ floor lights that light at night

EJ feels more intimate and plush.
Announcements on Vista help organize the day better and they are not intrusive. No announcements on EJ along with far less info on ship activities and ports. .
More daily activities on Vista with beautiful string quartet playing at some bars and Tea time as well as pop music vocal group singing pop music.

A fellow CC passenger organized a meet and greet on Vista well-attended by over 40 CC passengers and it was great. Oceania provided snacks hors d'oeuvre extended happy hour and it was most enjoyable.

Vista has a large number of passegers requiring some type of mobility assistance while on our EJ cruise we saw no one that utilized mobility assistance.  Whether or not that is true for each sailing may differ for each ship. Overall older guests on Vista.

EJ is very well staffed. Vista is understaffed.

Emporium Marketplace on EJ is superb in every detail with attentive service and amazing food. Dinner at Emporium is truly outstanding. Terrace Cafe on Vista while adequate is understaffed at dinner. Terrace offers the more traditional cruise ship buffet which can also mean lines at stations making fresh cooked food items at all meal times. Both ships have similar bagels. I am told typical New York bagel is different. Aquamar is a nice healthy food restaurant open for breakfast and lunch on Vista that is very good and offers a quiet setting thats lovely.

Humphry Slocombe ice cream on board Vista remains an excellent addition.
Both ships have automatic sensors on public restrooms which is a plus. Vista has more in additional locations.

Vista cruise director and staff are warm welcoming and helpful as well as visible.
Shows on Vista done nicely with a comedian, some singers and well intentioned ensemble group of 12 capable young singers and dancers. EJ had the popular Billy Joel show and when we were on board we were fortunate to have Steinway piano shows and outstanding piano artists on board. Singers on EJ just OK.
Overall there is significantly more entertainment on Vista.

Polo Grill on Vista excellent and while many love Marble and Co on EJ we did not so much. Toscano on Vista was overall nice but no need to return. Mediterranean yatch club was enjoyed on EJ. Still have more restaurants to explore on Vista.

That's it for  now thanks. Still more days to cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Excellent review. I have also sailed both ships (on EJ now) and agree with most everything. 

Explora is a slightly longer and heavier ship than Vista and there are considerably more passengers on Vista. Explora just feels way less crowded.  There is never any waiting for elevators or “hogging” of deck chairs.  For us that is important.

I have found the service on Explora to be head and shoulders over what we received on Vista. 

I believe the daily program and announcements on Explora have improved since you sailed in the fall.  Still not quite up to the level of Oceania, but it’s a brand new line and they are still feeling their way.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Following along. Hope to be on Vista by the end of the year.

on EJ are there outdoor dining areas for lunch and dinner?

There are certainly outdoor dining areas on Vista however we were in colder weather on EJ so we never ate outside. There are some very seasoned cruisers that comment on EJ board so they might have better info. I do plan to post more after 2nd part of Vista cruise. Thanks much

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Excellent review. I have also sailed both ships (on EJ now) and agree with most everything. 

Explora is a slightly longer and heavier ship than Vista and there are considerably more passengers on Vista. Explora just feels way less crowded.  There is never any waiting for elevators or “hogging” of deck chairs.  For us that is important.

I have found the service on Explora to be head and shoulders over what we received on Vista. 

I believe the daily program and announcements on Explora have improved since you sailed in the fall.  Still not quite up to the level of Oceania, but it’s a brand new line and they are still feeling their way.  

Great response and thank you. I did find the elevators on EJ much better more roomy and easier to navigate.  Entry to Vista elevators on one set of elevators have very small entry point.  Good to hear your experiences as well because we certainly would love to cruise EJ again and their current specials run until the end of February.  Thanks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

I am going to book EJ for my next year’s winter cruise. To me it’s a good fit for the Caribbean.  Prices look pretty reasonable now. 

I plan to look at that as well thank you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Curently sailing on Oceanis Vista with some conclusions from my experiences as compared to Explora Journeys having sailed on EJ in October 2023. Both ships are new builds. One thing to remember is that much of what I am sharing is highly subjective and depends on ones tastes.

Vista operates top to bottom like a regular very nice cruise ship.  EJ is a cruise ship yet offering something very different more akin to a high end luxury hotel. Both ships lovely.

Entertainment on Vista is better. EJ staff more personally focused and generally more attentive while Vista staff is cruise ship professional.

GDR is big beautiful loud and enjoyable on Vista while EJ intimate restaurants are tops. When we were on EJ it was less than half full so that may be hard to compare since Vista is full at 1200 pax. Embarkation on both ships excellent. On EJ no crew assistance at all when getting off and on ship and no assistance with info on how to get to a town or sites at ports.

The poolside music on Vista is great and is wonderfully typical of big fun Carribean cruise

Bathrooms on entry level cabins are comparable although the cabin on E J is a bit larger and the extra 9 square feet is a big plus, plus the separate makeup  dressing area on EJ also big plus. Heated floor on EJ bathroom a real winner. Vista shower is excellent. The light on large mirror in bathroom on Vista has a secret button that even our cabin steward was not aware of that dims the light on mirror which is great to use instead of the blue night light in entry. Vista night light are less intrusive  than EJ floor lights that light at night

Announcements on Vista help organize the day better and they are not intrusive. No announcements on EJ along with far less info on ship activities and ports. .
More daily activities on Vista with beautiful string quartet playing at some bars and Tea time as well as pop music vocal group singing pop music.

A fellow CC passenger organized a meet and greet on Vista well-attended by over 40 CC passengers and it was great. Oceania provided snacks hors d'oeuvre extended happy hour and it was most enjoyable.

Vista has a large number of passegers requiring some type of mobility assistance while on our EJ cruise we saw no one that utilized mobility assistance.  Whether or not that is true for each sailing may differ for each ship. Overall older guests on Vista.

Emporium Marketplace on EJ is superb in every detail with attentive service and amazing food. Dinner at Emporium is truly outstanding. Terrace Cafe on Vista while adequate is understaffed at dinner. Terrace offers the more traditional cruise ship buffet which can also mean lines at stations making fresh cooked food items at all meal times. Both ships have similar bagels. I am told typical New York bagel is different. Aquamar is a nice healthy food restaurant open for breakfast and lunch on Vista that is very good and offers a quiet setting thats lovely.

Both ships have automatic sensors on public restrooms which is a plus. Vista has more in additional locations.

Vista cruise director and staff are warm welcoming and helpful as well as visible.
Shows on Vista done nicely with a comedian, some singers and well intentioned ensemble group of 12 capable young singers and dancers. EJ had the popular Billy Joel show and when we were on board we were fortunate to have Steinway piano shows and outstanding piano artists on board. Singers on EJ just OK.

Polo Grill on Vista excellent and while many love Marble and Co on EJ we did not so much. Toscano on Vista was overall nice but no need to return. Mediterranean yatch club was enjoyed on EJ. Still have more restaurants to explore on Vista.

Thanks for taking valuable time out of your vacation to post!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Following along. Hope to be on Vista by the end of the year.

on EJ are there outdoor dining areas for lunch and dinner?

Yes, but they were rarely set up and used. On our 3 cruises, weather was the reason for this. Did have breakfast and lunch outside but never dinner. Sakura has outside dining, the Emporium and I believe the upscale restaurant too (never dined there). EJ didn’t really focus on their outside dining areas while we were aboard. While on Atlas and Oceania Regatta, we often dined al fresco. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Good to hear your experiences as well because we certainly would love to cruise EJ again and their current specials run until the end of February.

Plan to enjoy our time on Vista in March and will be looking for another opportunity to sail with Explora, hopefully on EJII. For now, Oceania offers better itineraries. Thanks for a solid comparison, look forward to part 2. Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Yes, but they were rarely set up and used. On our 3 cruises, weather was the reason for this. Did have breakfast and lunch outside but never dinner. Sakura has outside dining, the Emporium and I believe the upscale restaurant too (never dined there). EJ didn’t really focus on their outside dining areas while we were aboard. While on Atlas and Oceania Regatta, we often dined al fresco. 

How does atlas compare to EJ

Thanks 

1 hour ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Plan to enjoy our time on Vista in March and will be looking for another opportunity to sail with Explora, hopefully on EJII. For now, Oceania offers better itineraries. Thanks for a solid comparison, look forward to part 2. Enjoy your trip. 

Many thanks enjoy

On 2/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Waltershipman said:

Fil Rouge on EJ excellent as was Sakura.
More 2 top tables on EJ.

Showrooms on both the Vista and EJ appear size comparable and both may be a bit small for pax loads. Acoustics on Vista lounge are far superior to EJ. We found vocalists on EJ appearing to strain and performances from both crew performers and an invited Broadway performer were just barely ok as performers seemed to screech  except for the Billy Joel singer and the wonderful guest Steinway artists who were superb.

Vista entertainment has been very excellent.  David Shannon a well known Boardway and West end singer and actor delivered shows that rank among the best. An Irish comic George Casey was also fun and very enjoyable. Crew ensembles on Vista are typical  and enjoyable. No ensembles on EJ. The singing duo on our EJ cruise were not so great while ancillary entertainers on Vista are excellent.

Cabin attendants on both ships excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Waltershipman said:

Fil Rouge on EJ excellent as was Sakura.
More 2 top tables on EJ.

Showrooms on both the Vista and EJ appear size comparable and both may be a bit small for pax loads. Acoustics on Vista lounge are far superior to EJ. We found vocalists on EJ appearing to strain and performances from both crew performers and an invited Broadway performer were just barely ok as performers seemed to screech  except for the Billy Joel singer and the wonderful guest Steinway artists who were superb.

Vista entertainment has been very excellent.  David Shannon a well known Boardway and West end singer and actor delivered shows that rank among the best. An Irish comic George Casey was also fun and very enjoyable. Crew ensembles on Vista are typical  and enjoyable. No ensembles on EJ. The singing duo on our EJ cruise were not so great while ancillary entertainers on Vista are excellent.

Cabin attendants on both ships excellent.

More to come for those interested as lovely cruise continues

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

Explora now has a 5 piece ship’s band that I find pretty decent. 

Lydia Christina was also very good. Justine the piano/vocalist is amazing. So some good, some not great on EJ. They have struggled with entertainment. Looking forward to comparing. 

• Like 3

It seems the entry level rooms on Vista are a lot smaller than on EJ (240 v 301 sqft). Vista says the balcony rooms are 291 sqft, but that includes the balcony, and they make no effort to point that out. Where EJ clearly says 301 sqft plus a 70 sqft balcony for 371 sqft. So 291 v 371 with balcony, or 240 v 301 room only, makes EJ cabins and balconies more that 25% bigger than Vista. I've been on EJ, but my sizes for Vista are just what I see on their website, so can't confirm.

59 minutes ago, frankhi said:

It seems the entry level rooms on Vista are a lot smaller than on EJ (240 v 301 sqft). Vista says the balcony rooms are 291 sqft, but that includes the balcony, and they make no effort to point that out. Where EJ clearly says 301 sqft plus a 70 sqft balcony for 371 sqft. So 291 v 371 with balcony, or 240 v 301 room only, makes EJ cabins and balconies more that 25% bigger than Vista. I've been on EJ, but my sizes for Vista are just what I see on their website, so can't confirm.

Good points it does seem that way

Not to go off point, but I liked the entry level cabins on SS Nova even more than EJ. They are the same size, but Nova has a larger, better laid out bathroom (no heated floor though, and I'm talking about the shower only cabins). I also didn't like, and found unusual compared to other ships I've been on, that EJ didn't have a "desk". That said, I still prefer EJ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frankhi said:

49 minutes ago, frankhi said:

Not to go off point, but I liked the entry level cabins on SS Nova even more than EJ. They are the same size, but Nova has a larger, better laid out bathroom (no heated floor though, and I'm talking about the shower only cabins). I also didn't like, and found unusual compared to other ships I've been on, that EJ didn't have a "desk". That said, I still prefer EJ.

Isn't it great that we have the health and means to enjoy and compare these superb new products?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Lydia Christina was also very good. Justine the piano/vocalist is amazing. So some good, some not great on EJ. They have struggled with entertainment. Looking forward to comparing. 

Agreed that Justine has amazing talent!

As our 9 night cruise has gone on, I have been more and more impressed with the EJ entertainment. Guest artiste  Lisa Press was excellent, both as Céline Dion and a more low key performance and the ships’s resident artists and band have been great. We tripped across excellent bands playing in the smaller lounges. Overall, I don’t see the problem with the entertainment is. It’s been really good.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CaroleP58 said:

As our 9 night cruise has gone on, I have been more and more impressed with the EJ entertainment. Guest artiste  Lisa Press was excellent, both as Céline Dion and a more low key performance and the ships’s resident artists and band have been great. We tripped across excellent bands playing in the smaller lounges. Overall, I don’t see the problem with the entertainment is. It’s been really good.

It’s becoming more and more clear that what the VP for Entertainment (or whatever he is at EJ) told us about the early days during the inaugural season. He said that booking entertainment for the first season was a significant challenge as the entertainers who are booked for cruises are generally committed a year or more in advance. Remember the delays in delivering EJI?  He said we would see marked improvement as the year got on as they were now getting that great talent. I hope EJ II already has their entertainment booked for her inaugural season. We have two cruises booked. 😀

• Like 2