First time on VV and need advice on reservations

Ilovesailaway

DW and I will be taking our first VV cruise on Scarlet Lady doing a TA from Miami to Barcelona. This cruise will have 8 straight sea days. How important do you think it will be to make reservations for restaurants and shows? Are there can't miss restaurants or shows that we should make a priority? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have done all 3 of the TAs on VV between BCN and Miami with passenger loads from 1400 - 1800.  I do not know how full the ship is now, but most categories are still available to purchase,
We made advance reservations for dinner, but when we learned that we really preferred to eat later, we had no trouble changing them. Same for preferring a different location for a different night.  There were 2 of us and we were not horribly picky--if we couldn't get what we wanted on the app, we would go to the restaurant about 6 and ask at the podium if we could get in later or whatever.  In 43 nights on board, the only time we were refused was when we tried a walk up for Wake brunch at noon and they were full; the offered us the next day instead.

Shows....often the app indicated they were full, but we quickly learned that there were lots of people who made multiple reservations for the same show on day 1.  THere was always a walk up line, and we always got in thru that method.  I'd recommend reservations, but don't worry if you can't get them. I was more irritated by the passengers who reserved the same show 3 times but only showed up once,

The restaurants I expected to be favorites the first time were no and some that I didn't think I'd like became favorites.  I'd make one reservation at each restaurant, then a second at Test Kitchen for the opposite menu (check at the podium that the schedule is what you thought it would be).  Then book the places you think you'll like best, knowing that you can change them later.

Shows--I'd be sure to see Dueling Reality.  Ship Show has improved greatly since our first cruise but I wouldn't call it a "must do," MisBehave was not to my liking, in part because of a couple of screaming drunks behind me, but overall, not something I'd choose,  Scarlet Night "for real" starts about 9; everyone has a different experience with it based on where you are, who you followed, etc.

Don't laugh--one not to miss are the evening specials in The Galley.  The Beef Wellington was delicious, The special is announced each day in the paper schedule which you can get at Grounds Club 1 or 2, Sailor Services, and the red desk.  You don't even need to take it if you are saving paper; just look at what the special is.  If it is something you like, you might even consider canceling your dinner reservation.  There are several specials at lunch and some of those are available at dinner, but there is also the nightly dinner special. If we do The Galley for lunch, I walk around and check out the specials, then sit and order.  They are not on the menu and ofter the servers don't even know what they are,

• Thanks 2

I would always make a dinner reservation for each night and then change or cancel if needed, better to have the option. 

For shows the dinner show will fill up quicker as it is smaller capacity so book that. 

but the main thing to get booking quickly if you see availability for something you want to do is fitness classes, some hold as few as eight people.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

I would always make a dinner reservation for each night and then change or cancel if needed, better to have the option. 

For shows the dinner show will fill up quicker as it is smaller capacity so book that. 

but the main thing to get booking quickly if you see availability for something you want to do is fitness classes, some hold as few as eight people.

Totally agree.  We always make an advance dinner reservation and then cancel if we choose to do something else.

Another hint--Ship Eats (room service) has a $7 delivery fee which is waived if you order anything that has a charge, even though that charge may be less than $7.  You can get a specialty coffee or tea, a bottle of beer (or any other alcohol), or whatever.  My logic is to get something even if it is for later and avoid the "for nothing" delivery charge. I don't do expresso, but I've read that a shot of expresso is $3 and waives the fee,