From Israel/Egypt to Greek Isles

wilmingtech

31 minutes ago, MrsMod said:

We are also on this cruise next week….we too are hoping it will just be two thirds full!  🤞 Just pondering what to take clothes wise…..decisions, decisions on whether it’s going to be sunny! 😎

I’m going for layers.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:00 PM, lexmiller said:

The only "for sure" way to see Egypt is by booking a land tour or booking a Nile River cruise.  Ocean cruise ships are not going there for the foreseeable future due to the activity in that part of the Med.  And to see Israel as a tourist would seem impossible period for who knows how long due to the unfortunate strife in the region.  So if you really want to go to Egypt, booking an ocean voyage is extremely iffy - be ready to be disappointed.  We were booked on the Oct 16, 2023 cruise out of Athens which was supposed to have gone to Egypt and Israel, but became a Greek Isles cruise due to the Hamas attacks - substitute ports were Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete, Cyprus, and Bodrum in Turkey.  Someone above mentioned a reduction in price for the complete change of plan but there was no reduction, no credit, no recompense whatsoever.  

This was my conclusion. We were on Oct. 6 Apex to Egypt Holy Land so we were learning of itinerary changes the morning after debarkation. Our saving grace was doing a bid up to SS which at the time I thought was 'stupid' since we were on so many shore excursions. At the end of the day disappointed but we had a wonderful weather Greek Island journey which was enjoyed. That said there was much scuttlebut about some cruise credits forthcoming but even after reaching out to T/A and X 'crickets'. X let us down in this- we weren't looking for much but SOMETHING would have been appreciated. 

Anyway as you said, the cruise 'travel' to these areas is fraught with unknowns. I thought, ' why get on a bus for 6 hours travel when I can stay at a four star hotel and see the pyramids'. Staying in the Holy Land would also allow some extended touring. This leaves you more leeway to cancel a land based tour based on political climate (not much was going to help us when hostilities broke out the next morning). We hope to get there eventually but will definitely take a land based tour to do so.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 4:50 PM, villauk said:

Wise, we have had only one wet day so far, and it has been sunny on most days.Temperature is around 17 though if out of the breeze it has felt warmer.I have to say it’s very pleasant for so early in the year! I brought a couple of light fleece jackets and they have been ideal.Safe travels I’m sure you will enjoy the cruise! Dianne

I’m going for layers.

• Like 1

Today it is 22 celcius in Heraklion. Likewise yesterday the pool deck was full of sun bathers and swimmers. 

On Cyprus locals said, they expect the cold period to be over now. JFYI.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I was on the Infinity last month. In speaking to a lot of the upper staff (Retreat Manager & Hotel Director) we were told it will be a Greek Isle cruise for all of this year and possibly into 2025. If you have booked in hopes of seeing Egypt/Israel on this ship it won't be this year. 

It’s not really a Greek islands cruise.  You visit Rhodes and Crete plus Cyprus and Turkey. The other Greek ports are on the mainland. And with 2 overnights and 2 sea days there are only 6 destinations apart from the start and end at Athens over the 11 nights of the itinerary. It’s appealing for its access to the ancient sites of Ephesus Heraklion & Mycenae, and for the old towns in Limassol, Nafplio and Thessaloniki, but it’s not your typical Greek Isles trip. 

We booked last minute to sail in two weeks at a very reasonable price for aqua class of less than £100 pppn including fees and gratuities. Move ups to a suite were on offer for £50pppn. 

We are interested in history and love sea days so think that it’s a great itinerary for us, but I would expect demand to be lower and for the bargain prices to stay low all year.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dawnspring said:

Move ups to a suite were on offer for £50pppn.

Yes, same for us but as this was an extra cruise for this year, we didn’t bother bidding from our Aqua cabin. The only main difference would have been a slightly bigger cabin, which still wouldn’t have been updated. I’m presuming that most of the ship will be mainly Brits because the pricing was so cheap over here, due to the redeployment.

Edited by villauk

Currrent weather forecasts:

will come back and update but this is a good start for the packing list. 

athens 25th sunny 19*

thessaloniki 26 sunny 18*

thessaloniki 27 sunny rain? 20*

Kusadasi 28 rain am 21*

limassol 30 sunny 23*

Rhodes1

heraklion 2

nafplion 3

athens 4/5

On 3/18/2024 at 11:48 AM, Dawnspring said:

Currrent weather forecasts:

will come back and update but this is a good start for the packing list. 

athens 25th sunny 19*

thessaloniki 26 sunny 18*

thessaloniki 27 sunny rain? 20*

Kusadasi 28 rain am 21*

limassol 30 sunny 23*

Rhodes1

heraklion 2

nafplion 3

athens 4/5

Updated weather 

rhodes 21* sunny 

Heraklion 22* sunny 

Nafplio 25* sunny 

Athens 23* sunny intervals. 

Kusadasi now 24* sunny 

thessaloniki now cooler with rain on 2nd day 

definitely packing layers and a rain jacket.