Crab Shack

crowdraven87

I’m a little over a week out from my cruise and it’s showing up on the schedule in the app. It says it’ll be in the Crown grill. I’ve seen people say it’s usually in the buffet area though. I’ve also been informed that it is NOT one of the casual dining venues included in Plus. Devastating. 

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's a "pop-up" as you already know. It "lives" near the back of the ship just behind the buffet.  I've never seen it in operation....bad timing I guess!

The location will vary by ship. Crab Shack on Discovery Princess is at the Salty Dog deck 5 midship on select days. On Ruby it's been in the Crown Grill.

OP didn't specify which ship.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've never seen it in operation....bad timing I guess!

I would say good timing. We tried it once and it was the absolute worst crab we ever had. It reminded me of the way mom used to cook vegetables - boil for an hour until there's no texture or nutrition left.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crowdraven87 said:

Very good point. I didn't think about it being different by ship. I was specifically curious about Regal though 

I’m on Regal in a few weeks and the schedule in the app says Crown Grill. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I would say good timing. We tried it once and it was the absolute worst crab we ever had. It reminded me of the way mom used to cook vegetables - boil for an hour until there's no texture or nutrition left.

I agree - we did it over the holidays on the Crown, it was held at dinner time in the back area of the buffet. We shared the bucket, $39 per person even though the Patter said $29.  Poorly prepared food, the best part was the Key Lime dessert.

13 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

The location will vary by ship. Crab Shack on Discovery Princess is at the Salty Dog deck 5 midship on select days. On Ruby it's been in the Crown Grill.

OP didn't specify which ship.

On the crown it was in a curtained off area of the buffet to the rear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

I agree - we did it over the holidays on the Crown, it was held at dinner time in the back area of the buffet. We shared the bucket, $39 per person even though the Patter said $29.  Poorly prepared food, the best part was the Key Lime dessert.

It is considered a specialty dinner and they were taking reservations 

1 hour ago, Mags92 said:

I’m not sure. Crab shack is a lunch thing, is Crown usually open for lunch? 

No, they're not, but the Crab Shack is a popup in different ship locations. You'll sit in the Crown Grill, but the menu that's handed to you will be Crab Shack. 

Crown Grill has been open for lunch on Discovery, same price, but not on all cruises. 

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

Crown Grill has been open for lunch (not a usual thing), with their regular menu. 

I was referring to the Crab Shack on the Crown Princess

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yes, Crab Shack was a lunch popup at Salty Dog last month on Discovery. 

Every ship is different and perhaps even every cruise can be different. I would not make any assumptions 

• 3 months later...

On the Royal Princess right now on a Japan to Whittier crossing.  The crab shack was a dinner in the Crown Grill that they completely replaced the regular Crown Grill menu with the crab shack menu shown on the Princess website under the "Specialty Restaurants" page.  Even though we have the Premier package, we were charged the $49 per person plus gratuity ($92.04 for two).  We asked about this charge since we thought it was going to be one of our Premier package specialty dining nights and were told that no: Crab Shack is not considered to be one of the two "specialty dining" offerings within the premier package and the charge was correct and valid...

• Like 1