Do we want the minibus or the train to Klondike summit?

dizgal64

The minibus has stops, photo opportunities but no bathroom.

The train has no stops, wide vistas of the mountains and a restroom on board. If there was no money difference which would you go with?

TIA

1 hour ago, dizgal64 said:

The minibus has stops, photo opportunities but no bathroom.

The train has no stops, wide vistas of the mountains and a restroom on board. If there was no money difference which would you go with?

TIA

Train is fabulous 

Do a combo, train one way and bus the other. Did this a few years ago on my last trip to Alaska. Was one of the best excursions we have had. With the bus, you get to see so much more that you will not see doing just the train-like Emerald Lake. We did not book through the cruise line. We used Chilkoot Charters. Great company. Again, my experience with them was about 5 yrs ago.

• Like 3

A number of years ago we did the combo with train up and then mini van onward to the Yukon and Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway. The train was very scenic. The mini van part was also scenic (follows a different route than the train) and allowed for lunch, stops for photo ops, a little exploration and great commentary from the tour guide. We booked privately, not through the cruise line. This time we will be doing the same through Chilkoot Charters. 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:19 PM, banditoo said:

A number of years ago we did the combo with train up and then mini van onward to the Yukon and Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway. The train was very scenic. The mini van part was also scenic (follows a different route than the train) and allowed for lunch, stops for photo ops, a little exploration and great commentary from the tour guide. We booked privately, not through the cruise line. This time we will be doing the same through Chilkoot Charters. 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:26 PM, Coral said:

I would do train/van combination through Chilkoot. Go farther than the Summit.

thank you both! I think we have decided to go with them doing the 3.5 hour tour. I just need to decide if we want train first or bus first

25 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

thank you both! I think we have decided to go with them doing the 3.5 hour tour. I just need to decide if we want train first or bus first

Some of the best scenery is beyond the Summit. How often do you get to this area of the world? Splurge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Some of the best scenery is beyond the Summit. How often do you get to this area of the world? Splurge.

Well we would like to do some other things in the town too. Plus we are doing 4 nights on land also so between more train rides, bus rides and 4 hour tour of Denali, I think we have a lot of time for scenery. 

Edited by dizgal64

24 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

Well we would like to do some other things in the town too. Plus we are doing 4 nights on land also so between more train rides, bus rides and 4 hour tour of Denali, I think we have a lot of time for scenery. 

Most itineraries have 12-13 hours in Skagway. Plenty of time to do more in Skagway.

54 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

Do the longer tour. You will not regret it. IMO - going to just the Summit isn't worth doing. The views get better past the Summit. The scenery is this part of Canada/Alaska is different than elsewhere in Alaska. The history is unique to this area as well.

• Like 2

I am also in the camp of doing an entire day split between van and train. Definitely go beyond the Summit. The scenery you see in the Yukon is different than anywhere else in Alaska (well you are in Canada) that you will go. For example - you will see a desert and beautiful Emerald Lake. To go the entire distance you will get a better feel for the Gold Rush and the distance individuals went. This is an extremely gorgeous area scenery wise. Different than your other ports. If you don't plan on coming back-- take advantage of the long day you have here to see the area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 5:54 PM, Casey12 said:

I am also in the camp of doing an entire day split between van and train. Definitely go beyond the Summit. The scenery you see in the Yukon is different than anywhere else in Alaska (well you are in Canada) that you will go. For example - you will see a desert and beautiful Emerald Lake. To go the entire distance you will get a better feel for the Gold Rush and the distance individuals went. This is an extremely gorgeous area scenery wise. Different than your other ports. If you don't plan on coming back-- take advantage of the long day you have here to see the area.

Welp, I see the 7.5 hour tour is sold out. But the 3.5 hour tour bus/train is available. It says it goes beyond the summit, to Fraser? So do I want the bus first or the train?

and thank you all for your help