Norwegian Italy/Greece Cruise in April

Hello! 

My husband and family are doing a 10 day Italy/greece cruise with Norwegian in April! It'll be our first Europe cruise and had a couple questions. For anyone who's traveled to Italy and Greece in April, what's the weather like and how did you dress on your ports? 

Also, how much cash should we exchange into euros to bring with us on the trip? any advice? 

Finally, any tips/tricks you want to share would be great! We are SUPER excited for this trip!

Thanks!

Cruise Critic has forums dedicated to the Mediterranean ports, including one for Italy and one for Greece. You'll find all the info you can possibly digest there on weather, excursions, hotels for pre- and post-cruise stays and more.

Here's the link to the main forum: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/472-mediterranean-eastern-western/

Happy browsing.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:33 PM, kjoseph0810 said:

Hello! 

My husband and family are doing a 10 day Italy/greece cruise with Norwegian in April! It'll be our first Europe cruise and had a couple questions. For anyone who's traveled to Italy and Greece in April, what's the weather like and how did you dress on your ports? 

Also, how much cash should we exchange into euros to bring with us on the trip? any advice? 

Finally, any tips/tricks you want to share would be great! We are SUPER excited for this trip!

Thanks!

You can get the weather averages online.  People wear almost anything getting off the ship.  I like to look a bit more put-together, but almost anything goes.  Layers, of course.  It might be overcast and dreary at 8am but hot and sunny by 1030 or 11.  I always take 500 Euros.  Bring most of them home.  But there are some instances when you want a wad of cash ... like when your husband bangs into someone's brand new car in a Croatian parking lot.  Just outside a bar on a Sunday afternoon, I shrieked and they all came roaring out.  The owner was happy with several hundred euro and saved us a couple of wasted days.  I find that having low expectations for an NCL cruise rewards me with a very enjoyable trip.  Have a supreme cruise, early April and late October are my favorite months to visit southern Europe.

Edited by jsn55

You don’t need to take a lot of euros, you can get whatever you need from bank atms in port.  Use a debit card, preferably one from an account with no foreign transaction fees.  Most of what you spend can be paid for with credit cards, again without foreign transaction fees.  Visa and MC, sometimes AMEX, they don’t know what Discover is.  EM

I belong to the group that doesn't want to waste a minute of my travel time diddling with this stuff.  I agree about the credit cards, that's why most of my Euros come home.  I recommend them for an emergency.  Facing that bunch outside the Croatian bar while trying to explain that I had to find an ATM was a non-starter.