Bermuda for kids? Advice needed

misslyss1220

Hi everyone! Looking at an NCL Bermuda cruise out of NYC in April 2025 on the Prima. My kiddos will be 5 and 7. It's a 7 day cruise with 3 days in Bermuda. I've never been to Bermuda and I am wondering if there is enough stuff to do there for the kids between the port and the ship? This would be their first cruise. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

5 hours ago, misslyss1220 said:

Looking at an NCL Bermuda cruise out of NYC in April 2025 on the Prima. My kiddos will be 5 and 7. It's a 7 day cruise with 3 days in Bermuda. I've never been to Bermuda and I am wondering if there is enough stuff to do there for the kids between the port and the ship? This would be their first cruise. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

The rub here is that Bermuda is a wonderful beach getaway with kids-- with some of the best and most pristine beaches anywhere-- but April really isnt beach season. The air temp will be in the mid to low 70s during the day with lower humidity than you get during the summer, but the water temp will be in the high 60s making swimming not so great for most of us. 

That being said you can certainly enjoy the beach with much lower crowds than the main season but swimming might be off the table. 

The island itself is a beautiful British Overseas Territory and is much cleaner and upscale than most places further south in the Caribbean. It's very safe and family friendly. There are some great historic spots but that might be lost on a 5 and 7 year old. April is a fantastic time for golfing on the island-- again, not something they would be part of. 

It might be that either waiting until the summer season for beach weather on Bermuda or maybe looking at other cruises that are further south in the warmer weather in April where there will be more to do with them could be the two paths here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, misslyss1220 said:

Hi everyone! Looking at an NCL Bermuda cruise out of NYC in April 2025 on the Prima. My kiddos will be 5 and 7. It's a 7 day cruise with 3 days in Bermuda. I've never been to Bermuda and I am wondering if there is enough stuff to do there for the kids between the port and the ship? This would be their first cruise. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Activities that may please your children include:

A visit to the National Museum of Bermuda, which is located in the Royal Naval Dockyard just steps from where your ship will dock. 

Bermuda Fun Golf...a fancy mini golf course also located in the Dockyard

A trip to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo in Flatts

The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute on the outskirts of Hamilton

Crystal and Fantasy Caves, not far from St. George's (note: reservations suggested)

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, princeton123211 said:

The rub here is that Bermuda is a wonderful beach getaway with kids-- with some of the best and most pristine beaches anywhere-- but April really isnt beach season. The air temp will be in the mid to low 70s during the day with lower humidity than you get during the summer, but the water temp will be in the high 60s making swimming not so great for most of us. 

That being said you can certainly enjoy the beach with much lower crowds than the main season but swimming might be off the table. 

The island itself is a beautiful British Overseas Territory and is much cleaner and upscale than most places further south in the Caribbean. It's very safe and family friendly. There are some great historic spots but that might be lost on a 5 and 7 year old. April is a fantastic time for golfing on the island-- again, not something they would be part of. 

It might be that either waiting until the summer season for beach weather on Bermuda or maybe looking at other cruises that are further south in the warmer weather in April where there will be more to do with them could be the two paths here. 

Thank you! They do like the beach, but not so much swimming in the ocean so that might be OK. Unfortunately, this is really the only cruise that works for us during their spring break. There's one out of Miami, but, it's very port intensive... I thought maybe being docked somewhere for a few days might be better for them.

57 minutes ago, misslyss1220 said:

I thought maybe being docked somewhere for a few days might be better for them.

Thats my personal favorite reason for taking a cruise to Bermuda. The ship becomes essentially a floating hotel for a few days. You can actually enjoy the island instead of having to shuffle back on the ship at 4pm each day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misslyss1220 said:

Thank you! They do like the beach, but not so much swimming in the ocean so that might be OK. Unfortunately, this is really the only cruise that works for us during their spring break. There's one out of Miami, but, it's very port intensive... I thought maybe being docked somewhere for a few days might be better for them.

In addition to not swimming that early in Bermuda I found the beach could be unpleasant with sand blowing in my face and  Portuguse Man o' War.washed up on the beach that early in the year which can still sting if touched.It can be windy that time of year. The wind blowing sand  is also blowing in the swarms of man o war. Miami would be better in April if going to the beach even if ot swimming. There are other things to do. I think the litle ones would like the Zoo and Bermuda fun golf.

Edited by Charles4515