Different arrival times for large group in Port of Miami

tizbo1423

Hi all- there's a large group of us with 4 different reservations cruising out of Miami and as we went through the check in process we were given different arrival times. Will we have trouble if we all show up together or will they hold each group until it's their time slot?

7 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

Hi all- there's a large group of us with 4 different reservations cruising out of Miami and as we went through the check in process we were given different arrival times. Will we have trouble if we all show up together or will they hold each group until it's their time slot?

I haven’t seen a check in time enforced at all with NCL If you really wanted to play it safe you could all check in with whoever had the latest time but it’s probably not an issue. 

5 hours ago, tizbo1423 said:

As long as you enter the que together, it shouldn't matter when anyone's "arrival" time was supposed to be. Especially so if it is not an early time when you get there - like before 11.

You will all likely end up in the same waiting area for the same amount of time, regardless of your arrival time. Just get there all together and go with the flow.

I'll be the negative Nelly to dispute what everyone else is saying. It depends. 

Depends on the embarkation port. Depends on what time you are trying to gather and go together. Depends on the weather that day. Depends on what the other 3000+ fellow passengers decide to do that morning. Depends on what happens with the debarkation on the sailing before yours. 

We've been at ports where we weren't even allowed inside the terminal building until we were within 15 mins of our printed check in time. We've been at ports where we've stood in the rain for hours before being allowed inside the terminal building because everyone showed up early and there was literally no where to put people. 

I think the bigger question is why are you trying to all check in together? If you each have your own reservation, just check in when you get there and decide on a meet up place either inside the terminal after folks have gotten their key card, or even better somewhere on the ship. The first folks in can be the scouts to secure a table or couch nook for the rest to join you when they get on board. Will be much faster if the early arrivals already have gone through the process and are just waiting on say 1-2 other couples, rather than waiting for all 8+ of you to go through the process.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Depends on the embarkation port. Depends on what time you are trying to gather and go together. Depends on the weather that day. Depends on what the other 3000+ fellow passengers decide to do that morning. Depends on what happens with the debarkation on the sailing before yours. 

We've been at ports where we weren't even allowed inside the terminal building until we were within 15 mins of our printed check in time. We've been at ports where we've stood in the rain for hours before being allowed inside the terminal building because everyone showed up early and there was literally no where to put people. 

I think the bigger question is why are you trying to all check in together? If you each have your own reservation, just check in when you get there and decide on a meet up place either inside the terminal after folks have gotten their key card, or even better somewhere on the ship. The first folks in can be the scouts to secure a table or couch nook for the rest to join you when they get on board. Will be much faster if the early arrivals already have gone through the process and are just waiting on say 1-2 other couples, rather than waiting for all 8+ of you to go through the process.

I will have to disagree with this. In all the cruises over the last 18 years or so I have done not 1 time did they check those check in times. Now I never sailed out of New York maybe its a thing there but I doubt it. Also a lot of folks get excited when they go on a cruise and they want to all meet up together. I do not always do that but we have. 

I have checked in my family and received drastically different check in times with in minutes apart of clicking the check in button.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

Now I never sailed out of New York maybe its a thing there but I doubt it.

It’s not.

I've sailed out of NY at least once per year since 2018 and no one has ever looked at my eDocs to confirm my Check-In time. I realize we live in a world of constant change, so prior practice does not guarantee future performance, but it can be used as a guide. I’m heading out again on the Getaway in two weeks and I wager the streak continues……we shall see. 

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Well to answer your question as to why we want to check in together - because we will all be traveling together so it wouldn't make much sense to leave half our group at the hotel while the other half checks in. We're also traveling with groups who have never traveled anywhere and are anxious, so I don't think having them figure out a hectic cruise terminal and then a hectic boarding experience onto a ship on their own would be a great way for them to start their vacation. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

I will have to disagree with this. In all the cruises over the last 18 years or so I have done not 1 time did they check those check in times.

You can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened to me. This was in Seattle and LA when we had issues. Since then unless we're flying in the day of, we don't even try to go to the port until closer to noon.

41 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

Well to answer your question as to why we want to check in together - because we will all be traveling together so it wouldn't make much sense to leave half our group at the hotel while the other half checks in. We're also traveling with groups who have never traveled anywhere and are anxious, so I don't think having them figure out a hectic cruise terminal and then a hectic boarding experience onto a ship on their own would be a great way for them to start their vacation. 

Thanks. 

Ok, that wasn't clear. Didn't know if everyone was coming in on a different flight and arriving in Miami at different times.

You can certainly try, and if all goes well it should be fine. And as someone else said, if you're already in Miami and just headed over there when you're ready, the later in the morning you go the better it will be. Not sure what times you all got for your check in, but usually after 11am it's quieter anyway and you shouldn't have a problem. If you all wanted to show up at 9am with the 3000+ other people, less likely they can accomodate you. But if the main crowds have already been processed it shouldn't be as big an issue.

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

I will have to disagree with this. In all the cruises over the last 18 years or so I have done not 1 time did they check those check in times. Now I never sailed out of New York maybe its a thing there but I doubt it. Also a lot of folks get excited when they go on a cruise and they want to all meet up together. I do not always do that but we have. 

I have checked in my family and received drastically different check in times with in minutes apart of clicking the check in button.

1 hour ago, MCMC100 said:

It’s not.

I've sailed out of NY at least once per year since 2018 and no one has ever looked at my eDocs to confirm my Check-In time. I realize we live in a world of constant change, so prior practice does not guarantee future performance, but it can be used as a guide. I’m heading out again on the Getaway in two weeks and I wager the streak continues……we shall see. 

And I'll have to disagree with both of y'all. Back in September, 2022 security was checking boarding times at MCT. The lady only allowed us through, because we were cruising in the Haven. Others, who came before their boarding time were told to get out (in a NYC tone) and wait until their arrival time printed on their e-tickets.

I also cruised in April, 2022 and December/January 2022/23 from MCT and did not experience this. So, I do think it's an outlier, but it is a possibility.

16 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

As long as you enter the que together, it shouldn't matter when anyone's "arrival" time was supposed to be. Especially so if it is not an early time when you get there - like before 11.

Quick follow up question if you don't mind - it sounding like showing up early is actually a bad idea in terms of crowds. I was under the impression that the earlier you get there, the earlier boarding group you get and sooner you get on the ship once they start letting people on. is that not the case?

22 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

Quick follow up question if you don't mind - it sounding like showing up early is actually a bad idea in terms of crowds. I was under the impression that the earlier you get there, the earlier boarding group you get and sooner you get on the ship once they start letting people on. is that not the case?

yes, that is true, but you could be sitting around for a couple of hours waiting to board.  As long as you're ok with that, then pick an early time.  I try not to get to the port before Noon so that everyone who has waited has gone and I can check-in and go right onto the ship.  I just much rather wait in my hotel room until hotel check-out than sit around the port (and probably more like stand since all the seats would be taken).

58 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

Yeah, what dbrown84 said.

As another responder said, if you all go with the latest time, there is no issue whatsoever.

Another choice - split the difference and go at the mid-time. Only the later ones would have any chance of an issue - but, again, it seems unlikely.

As a sample possibility:

Last month we boarded the Bliss in LA.

Earliest time available when I went on line (at the 21 day mark) was 10:30. I chose 11 anyway.

We were at a hotel the night before,  a 20 minute cab ride away.

Got there about 10:45.

Long line for security; longer line for check in. All of the seating areas around the perimeter were full.

We saw priority passengers occasionally board.

By the time we cleared check in, it was 11:45-12:00; able to board immediately - all of the seated folks were already gone.

Bottom line, unless you need to get on quick to make specialty dinner reservations, show reservations and find some shore excursions...or are VERY hungry, there is no need to board early and hang around for hours waiting for them to open up your cabin and, longer still, probably, to get your luggage.

If none of these issues are on your list of urgent needs, shoot for the later check in time, avoid longer lines and have zero additional wait to board. Also, there will still be plenty of lunch available.

Try whichever main dining room is open - calmer, quieter, no table searching, especially with your crowd; also easier to handle your carry-ons there.

Good luck and happy cruising! 

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Yeah, what dbrown84 said.

As another responder said, if you all go with the latest time, there is no issue whatsoever.

Another choice - split the difference and go at the mid-time. Only the later ones would have any chance of an issue - but, again, it seems unlikely.

As a sample possibility:

Last month we boarded the Bliss in LA.

Earliest time available when I went on line (at the 21 day mark) was 10:30. I chose 11 anyway.

We were at a hotel the night before,  a 20 minute cab ride away.

Got there about 10:45.

Long line for security; longer line for check in. All of the seating areas around the perimeter were full.

We saw priority passengers occasionally board.

By the time we cleared check in, it was 11:45-12:00; able to board immediately - all of the seated folks were already gone.

Bottom line, unless you need to get on quick to make specialty dinner reservations, show reservations and find some shore excursions...or are VERY hungry, there is no need to board early and hang around for hours waiting for them to open up your cabin and, longer still, probably, to get your luggage.

If none of these issues are on your list of urgent needs, shoot for the later check in time, avoid longer lines and have zero additional wait to board. Also, there will still be plenty of lunch available.

Try whichever main dining room is open - calmer, quieter, no table searching, especially with your crowd; also easier to handle your carry-ons there.

Good luck and happy cruising! 

This is super helpful, thank you both!

5 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

If none of these issues are on your list of urgent needs, shoot for the later check in time, avoid longer lines and have zero additional wait to board.

This has become my philosophy of late. My specialty dining and show reservations are made well prior to embarkation and  I no longer need an early boarding time to increase my chances to snag the Vibe so for me, what’s the rush?  I much prefer the 11:00 ish arrival and check-in.  I’ve found that either thru Latitude status or simply crowd reduction, I’m usually walking onboard with minimal if any waiting.