Comparison of cabins

Iloveketo

1 hour ago, sleepybobo said:

Late to this.  The travel consultant we spoke to onboard suggested starboard would be better side for the Trade Routes sailing from Barcelona to Bergen because it would be the side of the coast line.

We been on this itinerary and you do not see land 99% of the time. You go through the Straights of Gibraltar in the middle of the night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleepybobo said:

Late to this.  The travel consultant we spoke to onboard suggested starboard would be better side for the Trade Routes sailing from Barcelona to Bergen because it would be the side of the coast line.

Well, we’ll soon find out. We left Bergen this morning headed to Bruge on a 2 days at sea leg . (We were supposed to have departed Bergen yesterday evening, but rough seas in the North Sea led to a departure delay. We miss our Amsterdam port call). 

I was in 5109 (Starboard) for the Homelands portion, but moved to 4120 (Port) for Trade Routes. 
Side didn’t make much difference for Homelands because of the many islands we were sailing between. I’m anticipating that Port side will give us more coastline views as we approach European ports from the North. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moby_Spout said:

Microman, what was your opinion of 5109 in terms of sway with waves, etc?

We didn’t really have any rough sea issues on the Homelands cruise, so I can’t give you an opinion on 5th deck, aft. We did have very rough seas today (4 meter waves according to CruiseMapper). We are on 4th deck, aft as well and there were no issues for us. I had to redevelop my sea legs quickly but neither I or my wife had any nausea issues. We did take Bronine and I have a Scopolamine patch as preventatives. 

I might add that the bedroom in 4120 is at least 2 feet shorter than 5109. The distance between bed and Veranda curtain is VERY narrow, whereas in 5109 there was enough room for my exercise mat. 

Edited by Microman123
Missing word
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

We went port side for our Trade Routes, mostly because we had Iconic Med right before it and 5108 worked better for Istanbul to Barcelona. 😉

Overall, you’re generally far enough from land that you can’t see much, and when you are close to land and it happens to be on the other side of the ship, when you have an aft ES you can look across and see both sides easily enough.  While I’m not happy about the change, I can see why the best of the ES2 cabins are now categorized as ES1 on the Vela.  They really are the best cabins on the ship.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 1:58 PM, sleepybobo said:

It is true that on that particular cruise the starboard side will be the one that is most often facing the coast -- however, in our experience most cruises are have more equitably distributed segments of the "coast" sides.  That said, there are very few times that the coast is actually visible from one side of the ship and not the other.   Entering and leaving ports there is typically something to see on each side.   Going through the straits of Gibraltar there is something to see on both sides (assuming you go through during daylight -- we didn't).    It seems to me unlikely that either side of the ship would see anything from Lisbon until England (where the port side is "preferable").  Finally, the rear ES cabins have a remarkable field of view and even from the "wrong" side you can get an excellent line of sight of anything on shore as the ship passes it.

We used to consider this (port vs starboard) an important factor but in fact have found it pretty much irrelevant -- in PS cabins, it is a short walk to the Explorer's Lounge, which has the best view on the ship, and in the rear ES cabins you won't miss anything as long as you can wait for the ship to pass by.

Edited by Messybill
typo
  • Like 2