Gastro on board QE

daisybel

7 hours ago, daisybel said:

Does anyone know if this is accurate who is on board at the moment? 

can I cancel if I have this day before sailing ?

Obviously if you are unwell and unable to travel on any day up to your embarkation day then your own Travel Insurance Cancellation Cover will kick in surely >? 
Regardless of what ailment you have that would prevent you from travel.....

35 minutes ago, rog747 said:

Obviously if you are unwell and unable to travel on any day up to your embarkation day then your own Travel Insurance Cancellation Cover will kick in surely >? 
Regardless of what ailment you have that would prevent you from travel.....

But you will need it in writing from the cruise line that they will not allow you to board and confirmation from your doctor, no matter what the illness, otherwise you may have difficulty claiming off your insurance

31 minutes ago, david63 said:

But you will need it in writing from the cruise line that they will not allow you to board and confirmation from your doctor, no matter what the illness, otherwise you may have difficulty claiming off your insurance

Not so, it will be your own GP as the one signing off your Travel Insurance claim form.

If you are sick before sailing (right up to departure day) especially with Noro, or any GE or Flu Bug, then it's a no brainer that your GP will be able to confirm to the Insurers that you were unfit to travel...

Trust me -

Had to do it sadly before several times. 

I didn't even have to go to see my GP, he took my word for it that I was too unwell and could not fly/sail.
I just called the Surgery to advise them for my records, and submitted my claim form later.
Plus, you don't go toddling off down to the Surgery with a GE or Flu bug unless you need treatment.  

You do not have to tell Cunard anything except you are not travelling.
If you are that unwell then you would not be going down to the ship on the day to try to get on....

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, daisybel said:

Does anyone know if this is accurate who is on board at the moment? 
can I cancel if I have this day before sailing ?

You may want to amplify your comments here so as to pinpoint your concerns, you are more likely to get an accurate and helpful reply if you do this. 

Cunard, like all lines, have a "Noro protocol" that kicks in when there is a high level of infection, which means that buffets are not fully self-serve, a crew member will place what you want on the plate. There's a higher stress on using hand gel at venues (which is not as good as soap and water), and things like the snack bowls vanish from the Commodore Club. Mostly that works and it won't get in the way of your enjoyment, but as usual it's really down to individual behaviour, and personal attention to detail during frequent hand washing, that deals with Noro (and a range of other pathogens).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Cunard won’t refund you if you don’t sail you will need to claim off your travel insurance so if you thinking of cancelling best call them and ask what proof you need. 

Yes, that is so, and Cunard will supply you with a Cancellation Invoice detailing your financial losses to include with your claim.
So,
If you have to cancel your cruise if you are too unwell to travel (even as late as 'on the day') all you need to do is inform Cunard you will be not now be going (or you will be down as a 'no show').

Then let your GP know you have cancelled your holiday so he/she can note it, and if you are that unwell then they may want to see if you need any treatment.

Then call your Insurers for a cancellation claim form, or in the case of my Insurance (Nationwide) there is a Travel Claim Portal to do it all online. 

Your GP will be required to sign off** your claim form, but he/she would have no issue in doing that for you as any GE or Flu bug will be covered (**you may have to pay for this as some Surgeries charge for form filling) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rog747 said:

Not so, it will be your own GP as the one signing off your Travel Insurance claim form.

It may not be necessary to get anything from the cruise line but in my experience it is far easier to get information at the time than leave it until three months down the line when it becomes difficult - even if that information is not required.

Insurance companies have a habit of asking for something you have not got.

Thank you for all your replies. CC is always very helpful.  Heads up

for advice about getting letters for the insurance claim 

The cruise was for a significant wedding anniversary so pretty upset but glad spouse is getting the treatment he needs to beat this bug .

• Like 1