Alaska at the end of April

dmwnc1959

I do understand that coming into Alaskan ports towards the end of April is not ideal, that the seasonal workers may not have arrived yet, and some (if not most) shops and tours will be very limited. I’ve already been to Alaska 5x, so shopping and onshore sightseeing isn’t really really a priority.

But as for the scenery, is it just not worth the effort to come in this very early in the season? I’ve included some screenshots of the itinerary and the dates. This is the tail-end of a 25-day cruise coming from Tampa through the Panama Canal. 

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

It’s beautiful in April, but a higher chance of missed ports due to storms. You likely won’t get to Hubbard due to ice, but the train in Skagway would be thru snowbanks carved out by the plow train. I’m going May 3rd this year and looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

It’s beautiful in April, but a higher chance of missed ports due to storms. You likely won’t get to Hubbard due to ice, but the train in Skagway would be thru snowbanks carved out by the plow train. I’m going May 3rd this year and looking forward to it.

Going to Hubbard Glacier was the other main reason for liking this extended cruise. I’ve been to Glacier Bay and College Fjord and they were both beautiful in their own right. Also already been to Los Angeles in San Francisco (which are the port of calls prior to a Astoria), but the idea of going back to those two places was attractive, mainly to see either the Queen Mary or the USS Iowa in LA and just hanging out at Fisherman’s Wharf in SF. I hate the thought of going on this 25-day cruise and missing one of the two main highlights.

Have a great time in Alaska! 

There is a huge chance (probably 80%+) that you will miss Hubbard glacier. If you do go - you will not be close at all. I was there in May this past year and it was underwhelming due to our distance. Technically we got there but not close enough to hear/see calving or understand how large it is. Of course those who have never been thought it was great but most had never seen a glacier before. 

The snow on the mountains will be beautiful. I once saw a picture of Glacier Bay in April and it was stunning. Unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Since the Sun hit an iceberg at Hubbard in 2022, they have strict protocols in place as to approaching the glacier.  I have seen them stop seven miles away.  You might have the small boat excursion to Hubbard available though.  If so, grab it.  They sell out fast.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

There is a huge chance (probably 80%+) that you will miss Hubbard glacier. If you do go - you will not be close at all. I was there in May this past year and it was underwhelming due to our distance. Technically we got there but not close enough to hear/see calving or understand how large it is. Of course those who have never been thought it was great but most had never seen a glacier before. 

The snow on the mountains will be beautiful. I once saw a picture of Glacier Bay in April and it was stunning. Unlike anything I have ever seen before.

As much as I’d be really sad 😢 missing Hubbard Glacier, seeing the Inside Passage scenery from Ketchikan, Juneau, and up to Skagway would be worth the trip. Even if I never get off the ship while it’s in port, cruising past those snow covered mountains again and seeing the occasional wildlife would be simply amazing. 🥰

40 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Since the Sun hit an iceberg at Hubbard in 2022, they have strict protocols in place as to approaching the glacier.  I have seen them stop seven miles away.  You might have the small boat excursion to Hubbard available though.  If so, grab it.  They sell out fast.

OOOOH! That would be amazing! I’d jump on that in a heartbeat. Heck yes!!! 

We've been to Hubbard Glacier 6 times and only made it close, past Haenke Island, twice.  It's not as much that you miss the glacier, just that you may be miles away. Besides the two trips to the face of the glacier we were 3-9 miles away.

We were on Princess each time we didn't make it. Oceania and Holland when we did. I do wonder if the ships are making fewer attempts since there's the optional excursion provided now and they do make quite a bit of money from it.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

We were on Princess each time we didn't make it. Oceania and Holland when we did. I do wonder if the ships are making fewer attempts since there's the optional excursion provided now and they do make quite a bit of money from it.

It would be interesting to see how much this excursion costs. And if it’s done in a regular tender (that are basically just giant enclosed cocoons) or something that’s more open-air to be able to enjoy the surroundings and the glacier.

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

It would be interesting to see how much this excursion costs. And if it’s done in a regular tender (that are basically just giant enclosed cocoons) or something that’s more open-air to be able to enjoy the surroundings and the glacier.

It’s a catamaran that holds around 150 pax run by Allen Marine.  Costs vary by cruise line from around $250 to $450.  

9 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

It’s a catamaran that holds around 150 pax run by Allen Marine.  Costs vary by cruise line from around $250 to $450.  

WOW, that’s a nice chunk of change! Here’s hoping mine would be on the lower end of that price range. 😉

17 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Google searched and found them on a FB video. It would be interesting to see if they offer this in late April, and if so how close they can get. 

https://www.facebook.com/AllenMarineTours/videos/471535963701163/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I doubt it. My cruise last year was May 12th and they hadn’t started yet. It starts later in May. We were like a week early.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glaciers said:

We've been to Hubbard Glacier 6 times and only made it close, past Haenke Island, twice.  It's not as much that you miss the glacier, just that you may be miles away. Besides the two trips to the face of the glacier we were 3-9 miles away.

My farthest distance from Hubbard was with RCCL. My closest was with Princess though last year with Princess, we were not close at all.

• Thanks 1

@wolfie11 @Coral that sucks not starting until later, but I completely understand the precautions that need to be taken. Nonetheless, it’ll be interesting to see how close Norwegian Jade gets, if at all. I wonder if they skip Hubbard Glacier would they make for College Fjord? I’m sure they don’t have advanced scouting to see which glacier areas are impassible. 

5 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

@wolfie11 @Coral that sucks not starting until later, but I completely understand the precautions that need to be taken. Nonetheless, it’ll be interesting to see how close Norwegian Jade gets, if at all. I wonder if they skip Hubbard Glacier would they make for College Fjord? I’m sure they don’t have advanced scouting to see which glacier areas are impassible. 

I think you will get a view - it maybe 9 miles away. I don't think they will substitute any other glacier for it. This was my view May 15th (with and with out a zoom):

image.thumb.jpeg.57ee1763d167732f2db1bed7c311462b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.54958a3c794cfd41968663eaebc9cc50.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think you will get a view - it maybe 9 miles away. I don't think they will substitute any other glacier for it. This was my view May 15th (with and with out a zoom):

image.thumb.jpeg.57ee1763d167732f2db1bed7c311462b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.54958a3c794cfd41968663eaebc9cc50.jpeg

Those are some really amazing pictures, absolutely gorgeous, and exactly what I want (whether it’s 9 miles away or closer). Alaska is so amazing and diverse, can’t wait to get back. 🥰

9 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Those are some really amazing pictures, absolutely gorgeous, and exactly what I want (whether it’s 9 miles away or closer). Alaska is so amazing and diverse, can’t wait to get back. 🥰

It is just so much better when you are closer!

• Like 1