Europe v Caribbean differences

We did a RT Barcelona for the Mediterranean cruise and there were a large number of Spaniards and Spanish families. I thought the entertainment content was geared to the Spaniards but it was in English.  This was in 2015 so there may be many changes since then.  Have to say that we were 12 hours in port, for the most part.  Our tours were all privately arranged and we did extensive and exhaustive sight-seeing.  I would go again in a heartbeat.

We have done quite a few European cruises both before and after the pandemic. When we started cruising, many years ago, we sailed mostly to the Caribbean. After a while most of the Islands, although each a bit different, are all about the same, Beautiful beaches, mountains, and rainforests. In Europe, you are dealing with history that goes back sometimes thousands of years. Each country is different depending on what you like.

I agree, that a European cruise is usually more port-intensive, but just seeing and learning so many other cultures makes it worthwhile. 

Of course, if you cruise just to lie on the beach and drink, then forget Europe, and stay in the Caribbean.

As for the ship itself, yes there may be more Europeans, but English is what is spoken, and about everything else is the same. Cruising is cruising no matter where you are.

I did find that Caribbean cruising seems to attract a younger crowd than European cruising. 

Cheers

Len

On 2/12/2024 at 1:26 PM, pyrateslife4me84 said:

We had free lobster in Europe. 

I was on the Odyssey last July for a Greek Islands cruise and there wasn't lobster on either Formal Night. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:07 PM, Woody14 said:

In my 3 previous cruises in Europe I have found the lines I was on were different compared to their North American offerings.   I am heading to Italy & Greece on the odyssey in May.    I have been on Royal twice to the Caribbean and wondering if it is different in Europe as it is with many other lines.

I was on the Odyssey last July for a Greek Islands cruise and everything was the same as compared to Royal in the Caribbean. You're lucky you're going in May when there should be less families. It was a madhouse in July and one thing I did notice is that Europeans do like to sunbathe.The pool deck was packed, overwhelmingly so. More than any Caribbean sailing I have ever been on, and worse than Spring Break and Easter.

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I was on the Odyssey last July for a Greek Islands cruise and there wasn't lobster on either Formal Night. 

I'm on Oasis in May out of Barcelona and lobster is showing on the app menu.

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I was on the Odyssey last July for a Greek Islands cruise and everything was the same as compared to Royal in the Caribbean. You're lucky you're going in May when there should be less families. It was a madhouse in July and one thing I did notice is that Europeans do like to sunbathe.The pool deck was packed, overwhelmingly so. More than any Caribbean sailing I have ever been on, and worse than Spring Break and Easter.

Could have been us British. There's a saying 'mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun'. We see so little of it during the year that we go overboard with the sun worship when we do get sun.

Other colder European countries are probably the same!