Reykjavik excursion

daddyaddy

We will be sailing on the Pearl for a transatlantic on Apr 25th from NY to Southampton, arriving in Reykjavik on May 2nd at 2:00 pm and leaving at 1:00 pm the next day.  We would like to book a shore excursion (perhaps a food tour?) but I need to know whether we are free to come and go from the ship for the entire duration of time in port?  In other words, if we arrive back to the ship late in the evening on the 2nd, will there be any problems getting back onboard?  I assume the ship will be berthed at a terminal and shuttle boats are not needed to return.

TIA!

18 hours ago, daddyaddy said:

We will be sailing on the Pearl for a transatlantic on Apr 25th from NY to Southampton, arriving in Reykjavik on May 2nd at 2:00 pm and leaving at 1:00 pm the next day.  We would like to book a shore excursion (perhaps a food tour?) but I need to know whether we are free to come and go from the ship for the entire duration of time in port?  In other words, if we arrive back to the ship late in the evening on the 2nd, will there be any problems getting back onboard?  I assume the ship will be berthed at a terminal and shuttle boats are not needed to return.

Ships dock in Reykjavik (no tenders), and you can come/go as you please. Re: tours, you have plenty of options. As mentioned below, the "Golden Circle" is the standard tour out of Reykjavik: Gulfoss, Geysir and Thingvellir, where the North American and European plates meet. Very manageable in a day.

Re: a food tour... Iceland is an amazing country, but isn't really known for their food. It's expensive, limited, and largely underwhelming (despite what YT creators trolling for likes say). There's a reason Icelanders eat the most candy/chocolate/licorice per capita of any nation in the world.

7 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

The Golden Circle is a great excursion but the volcanic activity has affected that area so not sure what’s open. The southern coast is lovely too.

Current volcanic activity in Iceland is near Grindavik and the Blue Lagoon, not anywhere near the Golden Circle area. 

regarding food... generally, i agree, however i did a golden circle tour that included lunch at a nondescript restaurant, just a room really, in the back of a gift shop. and they served some of the best fresh salmon i have ever had in my life.

A golden circle tour is probably not in the cards since we don't arrive until 2:00 PM and leave the next day at 1:00.  We intend to stay on the ship overnight so in my mind that limits us to staying in Reykjavik.

Thanks for the advice on food.  I'm a seafood addict so I'm hoping to find something good.

i'm pretty sure most of the tours run in conjunction with the ships schedule. at that time of year, you'll probably have daylight until midnight or 2 AM or thereabouts. so, i imagine many tours would not even begin until 4:30 or 5:00 or even 6:00 PM.

5 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Current volcanic activity in Iceland is near Grindavik and the Blue Lagoon, not anywhere near the Golden Circle area. 

When we did our Golden Xircle tour yu could book it with or without the Blue Lagoon.  We chose not to do the lagoon and were transferred to another van and returned to Reykjavik so they are close enough to be on the same tour. There was news last week that the geothermal park, forget the name, but it’s where they geysers and other remarkable phenomena are, was closed.  There has been extensive damage from lave flows to the ht water supply system in that part of the country.  These are very large pipeline “tubes” on the surface (the way you would see oil pipelines above ground in AK, they provide the heat to homes, businesses and heat ovens in commercial bakeries and restaurants.

Just saying there is significant secondary damage to the area, even if it didn’t see a drop of lava.

the Icelanders are resourceful people and the situation may be normal in short order, I hope so because I have a trip planned there next year but im watching it closely

I spent some time in Reykjavik pre-cruise in 2021. My flight from the US landed early morning so I had an afternoon free to spend in Reykjavik. I spent some time walking around in down town Reykjavik. I went to the handknitters store and bought a sweater with some assembly required (yarn). I had an afternoon trip planned with I think Mr Puffin-I ended up missing it because I had the time wrong-to go see the Puffins. I did end up making a tour after that where I was picked up at one of the tour meeting points and went to Sky Lagoon then was brought back to Reykjavik.

I was planning this day with not a ton of notice-I had free airfare from NCL, booked so long ago it was not the BOGO promo- and didn’t get my air until super late. I bet planning more than 2 weeks out, you could probably find a private tour, or do a shared tour with some people on your roll call that fits your schedule. There are a ton of tour operators in Reykjavik. 

On 2/13/2024 at 7:40 PM, daddyaddy said:

A golden circle tour is probably not in the cards since we don't arrive until 2:00 PM and leave the next day at 1:00.  We intend to stay on the ship overnight so in my mind that limits us to staying in Reykjavik.

Thanks for the advice on food.  I'm a seafood addict so I'm hoping to find something good.

One note on tours. In early May, you'll probably have daylight until around 10 pm, which gives you a lot of opportunity to see a lot, even with a 2 pm arrival.

Also, if you're a seafood fan I'd recommend the Arctic Char, which is sort an Icelandic cross between salmon and trout.