Cancellation coverage for daughters chemo treatment?

Booked on a European Carnival cruise departing Barcelona late May. Daughter just diagnosed with breast cancer. Final payment for cruise due March 1.

Not sure what the treatment schedule will be or when it will start but, is cancelling due to daughter starting chemo a covered situation? If we make final we will have vacation protection thru Carnival.

12 minutes ago, cwtravel said:

Booked on a European Carnival cruise departing Barcelona late May. Daughter just diagnosed with breast cancer. Final payment for cruise due March 1.

Not sure what the treatment schedule will be or when it will start but, is cancelling due to daughter starting chemo a covered situation? If we make final we will have vacation protection thru Carnival.

I'd say yes, but you had better check with Carnival before you finalize.  Here is an excerpt from the insurance document (for Maryland).

Screenshot_20240213_202734_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

First, I am very sorry for your daughters diagnosis, and hope that she will come through this well...

I want to be devils advocate however and ask why you would make final payment only to turn around and do a claim back?

If this is the route that you are going to take, I would make VERY sure that this is a covered reason - which means that a doctor will have to issue a letter or report of the diagnosis and the subsequent chemo treatments and that his/her/their recommendation is that they don't travel.

What is your deposit total?  I am assuming that you don't have insurance to cover that?

Is the deposit refundable?

My other question would be, that if you have not yet purchased the insurance, and this diagnosis pre-dates the purchase of the insurance by making final payment, could Carnival consider this a pre-existing condition and not pay out?  If this is the case then you would be better to forfeit your deposit than pay full cruise fare and then find out that you are losing it all.

Hope what I am saying makes sense.... especially about the pre-existing condition.

Edited by CDNPolar