Opinions please – Escape Haven 2-Bedroom Villa (H6) or Owner’s Suite (H3)

Niffernay

Hi all – looking for some opinions from people who have cruised in both types of cabins on the Escape (or ships with similar layouts/cabins).

I have the opportunity to upgrade from our current cabin, a 2-bedroom family villa (H6) to one of the Owner’s Suites (H3; Haven Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony, on either 17 or 18) for $360.  Our cruise is not until next January (2025). It’s a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean, with 4 ports, leaving from Miami.  We are both Platinum and it’s just the two of us cruising (my husband and I). We both enjoy sitting on balcony with a cup of coffee in the morning and a drink any other time – or the morning.  We have been in a Haven 2-bedroom villa a couple of times (loved the extra space, i.e., a bathroom for my husband who spends ridiculous amounts of time in there doing lord knows what). Both times we were in a villa with a “large” balcony – the one that juts out in front of the window by the tub; the one we have booked for this cruise is the regular balcony.    

What I’ve learned from searching CC/NCL: the forward facing balconies can be extremely windy when in motion, to the point that they are unusable. There is no shower in the 2nd bathroom in the OS.  You get 3 bottles of alcohol in the OS (I think). You get cans of pop (Michigander here) in the OS. I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing.

My initial opinion was to upgrade to the OS as the balcony looks incredible and I think my husband would love it (as I’m sure would I). But I’ve read so many posts about the wind being a huge issue so I'm looking for people with experience for some insight.   

What I would like to know is, if you had the choice, which one would you do?  I’m not asking what “I” should do, I’m looking for first-hand opinions of others. 😉 Thanks in advance to all!

12 minutes ago, Niffernay said:

What I would like to know is, if you had the choice, which one would you do?  I’m not asking what “I” should do, I’m looking for first-hand opinions of others. 😉 Thanks in advance to all!

We have been in the Haven OS w/large balcony on Breakaway in the Caribbean.  Never again due to the wind while underway. Yes, I know there is a side-balcony.  Still unusable due to wind.  Our next cruise is in a 2Bdr with large balcony.

• Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Niffernay said:

I have the opportunity to upgrade from our current cabin, a 2-bedroom family villa (H6) to one of the Owner’s Suites (H3; Haven Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony, on either 17 or 18) for $360.

H2 - The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (17102/17702, 18102/18702)

H3 - The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Balcony (17100/17700, 18100/18700)

Which category is available for the upgrade?

The H2 and H3 are configured differently and are very different in size. The H3 used to be called just "Owner's Suite" (not Deluxe) but NCL later decided to call both categories "Deluxe...". 

Luxury-Travel-Blog-6.jpg

Either way, the forward-facing balcony on deck 17 is deeper/larger than the equivalent on deck 18. The side balconies for the H2 are the same depth/size. 

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We have been in the Haven OS w/large balcony on Breakaway in the Caribbean.  Never again due to the wind while underway. Yes, I know there is a side-balcony

That would be a H2 - Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite (DOS) with Large Balcony (16102/16702).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

maxresdefault.jpg

H3 - The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Balcony (17100/17700, 18100/18700)

Which category is available for the upgrade?

Sorry - H3. Looks like all 4 are available on our sailing.   I looked at several videos of the cabins. Just trying to figure out if I want to take a chance of not being able to use the Balcony.  Thanks!!!

Edited by Niffernay
Added sorry

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that show the difference between deck 17 and deck 18 as far as balcony size... 

...so if you're going to do it, go for deck 17. 

The wind issue can be tricky. If it's really windy, the crew will tie-up the furniture to prevent it from moving around. January weather can also be tricky. For port days, breakfast on the balcony shouldn't be a problem. It's a slightly larger stateroom even though it sleeps 4 instead of 6. For 2 people, I'd probably go for the H3. If more than 2, I'd keep the H6. I travel as 4 so my situation is different than most. 

• Like 1

We've sailed in 17100 (our first experience in the Haven was in this cabin on the Escape).  It was incredible!   It was just DH and myself.  The bathroom was amazing. The walk-in closet was a dream and we enjoyed every minute on the front-facing balcony.

We did have several family members who were not in the Haven who were able to come and use the suite (which made having the larger space even better).

As someone who frequently cruises in a 2 Br. haven (as a couple), I say go for it!

• Like 1

We had an H2 on Escape and probably one of best rooms ever.  Understand that you are looking at H3.

It is windy while underway.  Sitting not so bad as below railing height.  We were in Bermuda so in port for 2.5 days so wind not an issue there.

Yes, you get three bottles, in room soda, in room sparkling or still water.  Supposed to be one bottle of champagne but they cheap out with sparkling.

• Like 1