Cruise port to Vasa museum and purchase of museum tickets

From other threads in the forum I am trying to get a clear picture on getting from the cruise port (I am thinking it will be Stadsgarden) to the Vasa Museum. Is going by ferry the only way to get there? 

I am traveling with someone who has mobility issues....If we need to take the ferry, how far is the walk to get there?

It looks like there are limited daily tickets sold.....did you purchase your tickets before hand through the Vasa website? TIA

You can take a taxi, which winds through Old Town to get to the bridge that goes to the museums. The ferry is more direct, scenic and cheaper, but it is a walk to the ferry terminals.A taxi may better for those with limited mobility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dfilpus said:

You can take a taxi, which winds through Old Town to get to the bridge that goes to the museums. The ferry is more direct, scenic and cheaper, but it is a walk to the ferry terminals.A taxi may better for those with limited mobility.

Thank you! Did you purchase your tickets when you got there or before your trip?

On 2/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, luv2ndhalf said:

From other threads in the forum I am trying to get a clear picture on getting from the cruise port (I am thinking it will be Stadsgarden) to the Vasa Museum. Is going by ferry the only way to get there? 

I am traveling with someone who has mobility issues....If we need to take the ferry, how far is the walk to get there?

It looks like there are limited daily tickets sold.....did you purchase your tickets before hand through the Vasa website? TIA

Could you tell us on what cruise ship you are sailing into Stockholm??

On 2/16/2024 at 1:00 PM, luv2ndhalf said:

We will be on Celebrity...Silhouette

Thanks.  We’re sailing on the Seabourn Quest.  It has a max of 450 passengers, so it should be able to pull into a smaller port area.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get to the ABBA museum in June also have mobility issues and thought a taxi would be a more direct and easier route, but was worried about the cost? 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, sarar said:

I'm hoping to get to the ABBA museum in June also have mobility issues and thought a taxi would be a more direct and easier route, but was worried about the cost? 

Is your cruise from Stadsgården or maybe Frihamnen?

47 minutes ago, sarar said:

How close to Stradsgarden is the place to get a ferry to go to the ABBA museum?

It looks close, but you are dealing with different levels. To walk you go out, turn right and walk to stairs, up the stairs, walk over the bridge which leads to Gamla Stan. Walk to your right, turn left when you reach the shore and the ferry building is there a short distance away. (This is my memory from two years ago, if I am mistaken, please someone correct this). Cabs have to drive up the hill to drive over the bridge.

3 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

It looks close, but you are dealing with different levels. To walk you go out, turn right and walk to stairs, up the stairs, walk over the bridge which leads to Gamla Stan. Walk to your right, turn left when you reach the shore and the ferry building is there a short distance away. (This is my memory from two years ago, if I am mistaken, please someone correct this). Cabs have to drive up the hill to drive over the bridge.

I am a part time wheelchair user, so it will probably be easier to get a taxi there.  Thanks for your reply.

Posted (edited)

There is a second ferry company that does stop at the Masthamnen/Stadsgården quay but summer time tables aren't available yet. You can however check this website at the end of April to see summer time tables. https://ressel.se/en/emelie-traffic/

It will drop you off very close to Abba/Vasa/Nordiska museet.

"Is the ferry accessible?

Our boarding bridge takes both wheelchairs and permobiles without problems. We also always have a deck attendant to assist with embarking and disembarking. The thresholds on the main deck are only a few centimetres high and well chamfered so the main deck is fully accessible."

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

There is a second ferry company that does stop at the Masthamnen/Stadsgården quay but summer time tables aren't available yet. You can however check this website at the end of April to see summer time tables. https://ressel.se/en/emelie-traffic/

It will drop you off very close to Abba/Vasa/Nordiska museet.

"Is the ferry accessible?

Our boarding bridge takes both wheelchairs and permobiles without problems. We also always have a deck attendant to assist with embarking and disembarking. The thresholds on the main deck are only a few centimetres high and well chamfered so the main deck is fully accessible."

So if we dock at Stadsgarden like I have been informed, we won’t need to get over to Slussen on Gamla Stan?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sarar said:

So if we dock at Stadsgarden like I have been informed, we won’t need to get over to Slussen on Gamla Stan?

That is correct. Both ferries use the same berth over at Djurgården, however the one departing from Slussen have a higher departure frequency (like every 10 minutes, depending on season and time of day) while the one from Stadsgarden is only 1-2 times/hour.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 1