Flam included excursion

Bloodaxe

Anyone done the Flam included scenic excursion,. is it worth  worth booking or is it much better to book a train tour.

Have done scenic trains in various part of the world,  just wondering how the included trip compares.

Edited by Bloodaxe
To delete error

Not sure what the description of the "included" excursion shows but if it involves just the trip on the Flam railway from Flam to Myrdal and back then you can easily do it on your own.

We did that trip with P&O some years ago and discovered that the "Scenic" railway is in fact a commercial service that links Flam to Myrdal where passengers can pick up a connecting service to Oslo or Bergen, whichever you prefer.

Consequently our tour group were initially coralled in a holding area while other paying passengers were allowed to populate several of the rear carriages. We were then led forward to occupy a couple of the forward carriages. The journey to Myrdal is scenic with points where the train slows for photos and also a stop  at a scenic waterfall. You then have about 30mins wait at Myrdal before boarding the return train which does not stop on the way back.

I think with P&O we were charged maybe £30 or £40 per head for the trip whereas you could just buy a return ticket at the station in Flam for  a fraction of the cost.

I'm guessing if it's a Saga included tour then you're not being charged so in that case there may not be much benefit in doing it on your own, other than being more flexible in your timetable if that is feasible

16 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Not sure what the description of the "included" excursion shows but if it involves just the trip on the Flam railway from Flam to Myrdal and back then you can easily do it on your own.

We did that trip with P&O some years ago and discovered that the "Scenic" railway is in fact a commercial service that links Flam to Myrdal where passengers can pick up a connecting service to Oslo or Bergen, whichever you prefer.

Consequently our tour group were initially coralled in a holding area while other paying passengers were allowed to populate several of the rear carriages. We were then led forward to occupy a couple of the forward carriages. The journey to Myrdal is scenic with points where the train slows for photos and also a stop  at a scenic waterfall. You then have about 30mins wait at Myrdal before boarding the return train which does not stop on the way back.

I think with P&O we were charged maybe £30 or £40 per head for the trip whereas you could just buy a return ticket at the station in Flam for  a fraction of the cost.

I'm guessing if it's a Saga included tour then you're not being charged so in that case there may not be much benefit in doing it on your own, other than being more flexible in your timetable if that is feasible

The included tour is described has a scenic tour by bus, I believe the train ride will be offered has a extra charge tour.

Not had the full details of tours yet has the cruise in not until late May so cannot be booked until later.

Just wondered if anyone had done the included tour and what that is like.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

The Flam train ride on our Northern Lights trip is priced at £89pp.

Do it yourself approx £35pp.

Thanks for that, I had seen it priced on the websites for 500 krona, which has you say is around £35.

I am interested if the Saga included Bus Tour will worth doing but if we decide to do the train will book direct.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for that, I had seen it priced on the websites for 500 krona, which has you say is around £35.

I am interested if the Saga included Bus Tour will worth doing but if we decide to do the train will book direct.

We booked Flam Railway direct around £40 pp don't leave it too long.

19 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

We booked Flam Railway direct around £40 pp don't leave it too long.

Anyone know how close the dock is to the Railway station and is it walkable or is transport required.

We can walk a good way but not has mobile has we used to be.

Thanks to everyone for your information.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We were in Flam last September and from getting off the tender to the train is a 5-10 minute walk. We found the step up on to the train very high but the journey is worth it.

i hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did.

21 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Anyone done the Flam included scenic excursion,. is it worth  worth booking or is it much better to book a train tour.

Have done scenic trains in various part of the world,  just wondering how the included trip compares.

The Included Excursion is 2hrs Coach Ride around area & includes a couple of "Viewpoint Stops". It needs good weather to enjoy fully. It does not include the Railway Trip which is currently approx £55 each to book direct (June 24 price). If docked it is a 5 minute flat walk to the station.

17 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

You will need to book fast. We are on the June Norwegian Fjords cruise and I booked direct about a month ago. The two departures after the ship docked were already booked then.....

I advise that, if you want to do the Flam railway trip, book it yourself. We did it through Saga and were crammed into carriages like sardines, and this was when Covid was still an issue. Our guide shouted at those who tried to board an empty carriage. She lied to everyone, saying that it didn't matter which side of the train we sat because it turns round at the top. It doesn't! We were NOT allowed off the train at Myrdal, despite the excursion details saying we would be. People we sat near at dinner that eveing had enjoyed a leisurely trip by going it alone. 

Edited by Wacktle

On 2/15/2024 at 5:48 PM, Bloodaxe said:

Anyone know how close the dock is to the Railway station and is it walkable or is transport required.

We can walk a good way but not has mobile has we used to be.

Thanks to everyone for your information.

We were there last August aboard SoA and whether you go on the paid excursion with Saga or book independently, on either you will still have to walk the 200/300 metres [all on the flat] from the ship to the train station. That is of course if your ship docks in the same place.

9 hours ago, seasickphil said:

We were there last August aboard SoA and whether you go on the paid excursion with Saga or book independently, on either you will still have to walk the 200/300 metres [all on the flat] from the ship to the train station. That is of course if your ship docks in the same place.

There is only one Dock & the alternative is Tender.

I am on the 23rd May sailing to the fjords and have just booked the return Flam railway trip for 26th May.  It cost 730kr approx £55. I have booked the 13.30 from Flam.  Hopefully the itinerary won’t get changed!!

• 1 month later...

Perfectly possible to do the included scenic excursion (coach trip, nice views) and also the railway in a day.

Tendered from SoA sept 23, easy five min walk from tender to station, worth seeing what other ships are in Port on the same day to see how busy it is likely to be, I booked only a week before but on the day there was very little availability left.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:06 AM, JoJo1947 said:

We are  going by tender into Flam this June and not leaving until 22hrs. Booked our trip independently. 

Snap. See you onboard 🙂

• Like 1