OPERA HOUSE INFO

If anyone has been inside the Sydney Opera House is there an entrance that doesn’t require climbing up stairs? We plan to do a tour of the Opera House but looking at pictures it looks like there are many stairs to the entrance. Is that where the tours enter or is there a side door without stairs? Thanks!

4 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

If anyone has been inside the Sydney Opera House is there an entrance that doesn’t require climbing up stairs? We plan to do a tour of the Opera House but looking at pictures it looks like there are many stairs to the entrance. Is that where the tours enter or is there a side door without stairs? Thanks!

We did the Opera House tour late last year and definitely worth it, but there are a lot of steps. If you look on the website I think you will find that there are a few tours for people with disabilities that limit the steps.

21 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

Thank you both. I’m not disabled but have two bad knees and those front steps do not look like fun!

Husband has knee issues too and he didn’t have any problems. You can take it slowly and there are rails. Plenty of stops along the way too.

2 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Thank you both. I’m not disabled but have two bad knees and those front steps do not look like fun!

There is a lift to get you up to the ticket office level -  there is an entrance to it at the Circular Quay corner of the building - then escalators up to the next level. I believe they have made some changes inside the main part to provide easier access to those who need it but I'm not sure what that entails.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is a lift to get you up to the ticket office level -  there is an entrance to it at the Circular Quay corner of the building - then escalators up to the next level. I believe they have made some changes inside the main part to provide easier access to those who need it but I'm not sure what that entails.

You are definitely right for access to the Opera House, but for the tour, there is unfortunately still stairs.