Wine bottle opener?

Cruzn Fool

4 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

This was only for in-room use. 😶‍🌫️

I keep all our wine in the cabin and do consume some there.  Take one or two bottles to dinner, depending on what we are likely to have for mains.  I normally would have a couple of bottles on the go for variety.  I just need to remember to get any open one(s) out of the fridge ahead of time so they are not "beer cold".  Don't like leaving them at cabin temp.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I keep all our wine in the cabin and do consume some there.  Take one or two bottles to dinner, depending on what we are likely to have for mains.  I normally would have a couple of bottles on the go for variety.  I just need to remember to get any open one(s) out of the fridge ahead of time so they are not "beer cold".  Don't like leaving them at cabin temp.

Do you just ask to keep the bottles then after dinner and take them back to the cabin? I never thought of doing that and always asked them to store the wine for me although getting it back can be a bit of a faff sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Do you just ask to keep the bottles then after dinner and take them back to the cabin? I never thought of doing that and always asked them to store the wine for me although getting it back can be a bit of a faff sometimes.

No need to ask.  To me, the asking comes in if you want them to keep them.  I always bring back to cabin as might want some at another time.  I use a small backpack to transport it.  Yes, sometimes don't have time to go straight back if heading off to a show, but I can always head to cabin while my wife heads to the show and then I scoot over to the show and find her there.  Extra exercise!

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the waiter style opener in the kitchen drawer - unfortunately it has a less than 1" tiny toothed blade - that means a no go?  We drive to the port so no need to pass airport security, just the ship security...

If it is a sure thing the room attendant can lend us one to open the bottle, I would be fine.  He does not need to lend it for the whole cruise, just enough time for me to open the bottle.

On 2/15/2024 at 1:07 PM, EDVM96 said:

My essential survial kit on Princess Cruises:

20240215_215548.thumb.jpg.5762d8653a553529107222004e5854ec.jpg

The corkscrewer is available on many ships in the Princess Shops.

And the wine bottle cap was a nice present from Juan from Peru, from the Vines Bar on Sapphire Princess.

Never cruise without! ☝️

I always take a cork puller that is not Princess branded but quite similar. I also have the wine topper from a prize onboard but don't carry it on cruises.

9 hours ago, nho9504 said:

I just checked the waiter style opener in the kitchen drawer - unfortunately it has a less than 1" tiny toothed blade - that means a no go?  We drive to the port so no need to pass airport security, just the ship security...

If it is a sure thing the room attendant can lend us one to open the bottle, I would be fine.  He does not need to lend it for the whole cruise, just enough time for me to open the bottle.

@nho9504  I have never had a problem carrying on a corkscrew similar to what you are describing past the port security personnel.  It is only the TSA personnel at the airport that will disallow a bladed corkscrew in your carry-on baggage.  So, you are OK since you will not be flying.  Also, putting a corkscrew in you checked baggage is absolutely fine,  TSA and ship's personnel are not concerned with blades in checked baggage--only in things that are being carried onto the cabin.

I have never asked the room steward to provide a corkscrew, but numerous posters have commented that they have done so,  I cannot say that it is a "sure thing,"  Sometimes people forget.  I have to believe that it is quite rare, but I have to believe that it happens.  Also, and this is the part that bothers me, he is going to do it on his schedule, not mine.  If I want to open a bottle during sailaway, will he be back with a corkscrew in that time frame?