Oceania Air - seat selection

richyking

On 2/15/2024 at 2:53 PM, richyking said:

Hi all. My wife and I are booked on Vista, Istanbul - Rome in May 24. This is our first cruise ever, Oceania was recommended to us and we are looking forward to it and this forum has been invaluable thank you. Just a quick question which may sound dumb but I just haven't got my head around it. I booked direct with Oceania B2 cabin sm and included air fare. Normally when I book a holiday, usually a year or more in advance, I can choose my seats which I do at time of booking usually extra leg room. I now have my flight details but am unable to select seats because I do not have a ticket. To obtain a ticket early I have to agree to 'no refund whatsoever'.  My wife suffers from a flying phobia so we need to sit together I am concerned that leaving it so late we may not get seats together. Anyone able to advise or have experience we are flying in and out of London Heathrow. Sorry for long message and thank you.

Given your situation, I might make two suggestions:

1) Pay the air deviation fee so that you can select the most direct flights that provide the shortest amount of air time.

2) Pay the balance of your cruise.  In my (very positive) experiences with Oceania air, I have been able to have flights ticketed once my balance has been paid off.  Once the flight is ticketed you should be able to select seats.  It is true, as previously mentioned, that some airlines let you select seats under some circumstances without having to pay off the balance.  I experienced that with United but it may have been because of my advanced frequent flyer status.  I also experienced not being able to get my flights ticketed and select seats until I paid the Oceania balance. This was with Air France. 

I realize that my two suggestions cost money but it may be $ well-spent in your case.

Also- and I know you did not ask about this- there is effective treatment for phobias including a fear of flying.  It is called systematic desensitization and a mental health therapist who specializes in behavior therapy will be able to treat your partner.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Sounds good. I'm guessing if their doctor writes a note to that effect then would O and/or the airline go along with that?

Oceania has absolutely ZERO to do with what an airline chooses to do regarding their seating policy.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Oceania has absolutely ZERO to do with what an airline chooses to do regarding their seating policy.

Not all the time. Oceania booked premium economy flights for us on BA who doesn’t allow to choose the seats for free even in the premium cabins. Oceania was able to get us assigned seats at the time of booking (even before the flight was ticketed) without any additional fees.

46 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Not all the time. Oceania booked premium economy flights for us on BA who doesn’t allow to choose the seats for free even in the premium cabins. Oceania was able to get us assigned seats at the time of booking (even before the flight was ticketed) without any additional fees.

That's a function of the specific contract that BA and O entered into.  Unless that provision is part of the fare rules of the contract tickets purchased, O (and any other cruiseline) can be told by BA (or any airline) to go pound sand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

That's a function of the specific contract that BA and O entered into.  Unless that provision is part of the fare rules of the contract tickets purchased, O (and any other cruiseline) can be told by BA (or any airline) to go pound sand. 

Exactly that just doesn’t proof that Oceania can do nothing with regard to the seat polices at any time.

19 hours ago, osandomir said:

Exactly that just doesn’t proof that Oceania can do nothing with regard to the seat polices at any time.

Many years ago I worked at the Americas headquarters of an intl airline. We worked with companies that put together land/air/etc. packages that were then sold by travel agents. I worked closely with those companies and referred to our dept. as the "free ticket and favor department." And, rest assured, we could do everything legal to help these companies. I've no doubt that cruise lines can do the same. But, yeah, whatever, as @FlyerTalker says.