Train from Berlin Central Station to Warnemünde on a Saturday in May

There is only one direct train that will get me to the port for my embarkation time so I would like to book my seat early.  There are several options - regular or first class, super saving/savings/flex, reserve a seat - compartment, table, or open saloon, and more than one seller for tickets.

I want to make sure I have a seat and that I can keep an eye on my luggage - no other preferences.  I am also wondering if the train station in Warnemunde is near the port used by MSC.    

Is there someone here that can offer advice on what is the best ticket option?  TIA

• Like 1

Train station in Warnemuende is very near the port. No problems there. 5 mins walk at most. 

Book through Deutsche Bahn and if you can get the App as it gives you any up to date changes about your journey. Second class is comfortable enough, I don’t see a need for first class. Definitely go on and reserve a seat - it’s a popular route. You can see the seating plan before you choose your seat. I always prefer open saloon - you never know who you might be stuck in a compartment with. Often the luggage storage is at one end of the carriage but if you book a seat which is back to back with the one behind there is normally a space in between to stash small/medium  sized luggage. The overhead storage is a bit narrow to stow big luggage, which is a huge design flaw. 

An alternative is to get a train to Rostock and change there for Warnemuende. Rostock HBF is very manageable and trains leave from there to Warnemuende every 20 mins. It’s a stress- free change. 

Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask. I’m pretty familiar with this route.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Scottishclover that is very helpful.  It seems only table seats are available.  To get a forward facing seat ... the direction of the train is to the right of the page? - so I am looking for a seat with a shaded rounded corner to my left ...with the shaded corner representing the back of the seat?

Edited by g8way2go
added ? mark

Hi,

I’ve had a wee look at the seating plan. I assume it is the intercity(IC) train.

The shaded line is at the back of the seat. Have a look at the table configurations to confirm. The luggage storage areas are also indicated on the plan so you can see if you could get a seat near those. I would have no qualms about leaving my luggage there and sitting within eyeshot or even further down the carriage. 

On 2/17/2024 at 4:33 AM, Scottishclover said:

Hi,

I’ve had a wee look at the seating plan. I assume it is the intercity(IC) train.

The shaded line is at the back of the seat. Have a look at the table configurations to confirm. The luggage storage areas are also indicated on the plan so you can see if you could get a seat near those. I would have no qualms about leaving my luggage there and sitting within eyeshot or even further down the carriage. 

Ticket purchased, thank you again for your assistance.

Edited by g8way2go
finish sentence.
  • Like 1

Thanks for asking this. We are also planning on catching the train from central Berlin to Warnemunde on a Saturday, early June 2024, for our MSC Poesia cruise. I have been looking at it looks like there are quite a few direct trains. Do I need to book in advance?

We don't speak German and getting from Berlin to the cruise port is what is stressing me out most about the trip. We plan on arriving a day early (Saturday) and I booked an airbnb for Saturday night and our cruise is Sunday. For our debarkation I booked the cruise sponsored excursion that tours Berlin and drops you at the airport.

Sorry, to hijack your post, but I am hoping to get some help also if you don't mind. I have attached a screen shot of what train schedule I am looking at, does this look correct? Thanks so much!!

Screenshot 2024-02-20 152230.png

Yes this is correct. I would advise you to book direct with Deutsche Bahn. They have an international site in English. Also reserve a seat too just to be on the safe side. Mindyou most Germans would probably forego the IC train for the regional one because of the Deutschland ticket, so the IC might be quieter. Still it’s worth booking a seat. The earlier you book in advance the cheaper the fare. It can creep up quite substantially if bought on the day. 

You can’t really go wrong. Get on at Berlin Hauptbahnhof and stay on until the train stops. Warnemuende is the end stop. Don’t worry about not speaking German, there will always be Germans who will jump at the chance to practise their English. Seriously, don’t stress,  this journey is very straightforward.

• Thanks 1

a few years ago we did regional train with no reservations-what a mistake

we were one of first at Berlin station with our cases but as train pulled in people surged past us to get on train ahead of us

we ended up sitting on our cases after lugging them up the stairs on train for most of journey to Rostock where we has a hotel booked

took local train to Warnemunde next day to embark

be warned although there is a wheelchair accessible route we couldnt find it and ended up lugging our cases down and up steps to get across rail to cruise ships  

The regional trains are even busier now due to the €49 Deutschland ticket available to German residents. My daughter is making good use of hers on the Rostock - Berlin route. If you are a tourist with luggage best to travel on IC trains with seat reservation if possible.

Something to know about Germany - there is no such thing as a queue. Most of us tourists learn that the hard way😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

The regional trains are even busier now due to the €49 Deutschland ticket available to German residents. My daughter is making good use of hers on the Rostock - Berlin route. If you are a tourist with luggage best to travel on IC trains with seat reservation if possible.

Something to know about Germany - there is no such thing as a queue. Most of us tourists learn that the hard way😂

Thanks for the tips. I don't know the difference between IC and Deutsche Bahn though...should I not book through the site mentioned above?

Also, since you are all so helpful can I also ask you what is the best way to get to center city Berlin around 9am in the morning from the airport? We are flying in a couple days before we take the train to Warnemunde. I am debating if we should try to take the train or we can just uber? There will be 4 of us (my children will be 18 and 20).  Thanks so much!

29 minutes ago, FlaMommy75 said:

Thanks for the tips. I don't know the difference between IC and Deutsche Bahn though...should I not book through the site mentioned above?

IC is an inter-city train. Generally faster with fewer stops than a regional train. It should be clear on the booking page which trains are IC and which are not, at least by the train number. (Only regional trains can be used with the €49 Deutschland ticket.) All are part of Deutsche Bahn and can be booked on their website or in the app. 

I will let others answer your other questions. 

Edited by gnome12
  • Thanks 1

We are a train or walk family - we very rarely take an Uber or taxi. Travelling on public transport is much more interesting. The train to the Hauptbahnhof take around half an hour, leave every 15 mins and costs €3.20. You can look at ticket options on Verkehrsverbund Berlin ( VBB). Perhaps a daily ticket for transport is better for you. It’s 3 zones (ABC) from the airport but in Berlin itself 2 zones (AB) cover most journeys. You can use trains, underground, trams etc on this ticket. The train station is underneath the airport and is well signposted. Tickets can be purchased at the machines on the platform or on the App. One thing to note is that Hbf will probably not be the last destination. Also, depending where you are staying in Berlin, other stops in the city may be closer. 

To clarify: Deutsche Bahn is the company responsible for railways in Germany. Book on their site. 

IC: intercity

ICE: intercity express

RB: regiobahn ( regional) no seat reservations

S- Bahn: trains within city centres only, like a suburban line
U-Bahn: underground. Berlin has an extensive underground and we use it a lot as a lot of the different attractions are spread out.

Have fun in Berlin. It’s a great city😀

• Thanks 1