Rome or raveena to pick up 11 day cruise italy and croatia

We did Rome to Ravenna on Constellation last summer. If you are from the US, there a typically direct flights from the east coast to Rome. Spending a few days at least in Rome is a must. The cruise port is about 90 min from Rome so need to factor that into your travel plan. The mosaics in Ravenna are absolutely stunning ( we spent a whole day touring there, having been to Venice previously), but if you have never been to Venice, it would be my recommendation to head there after disembarking in Ravenna- will need arrange some kind of  transport from port to Venice ( celebrity, private or train) as it is a distance. Many hotels available in Venice and then would

fly back from Venice.

• Like 1

I’d suggest also into Rome out of Venice or vice versa. If you fly into Rome add 2 extra days, then fly out of Venice the day after cruise ends and take celebrity bus transfer to Venice for ease. You’d get that afternoon to walk around V. Of course, more time is great. But even a 1/2 day in Venice is great. V is amazing for architecture, scenery, but I don’t need as much time as for Florence or Rome. Taking cruise transfer makes it easy logistics to/from V. 
We just did the reverse on RT Ravenna-into V for 2 days, out of Rome, via 2 days in Florence. 

Edited by elaine5

Having lived in Italy I would recommend not going in the hot summer months.  Additionally, much of Europe vacations during the month of August and heads south.  Italy is less crowded and more temperate in Spring and Fall.  We are doing the cruise from Ravenna to Rome this fall.  Venice and Rome are both great places to spend a few days!  You will enjoy the Adriatic and Italy regardless of which direction you sail 😁