The Bahamas Travel advisory (intending to stay near the pier in Nassau)

motravelerken

I would assume the Bahamas Travel Advisory is still in effect. I have some friends that are going on a Liberty of the Seas cruise in March. They will be arriving in Nassau on Thursday, March 21. They do not currently have any excursions planned for this day and their hope is to get off the boat, stay relatively close to the cruise pier and explore the Straw Market and possibly the "Queen's Staircase" area. I am assuming this situation would be like traveling to any big city. Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings but I am guessing they will be safe? Any other places close to the pier that people would recommend they visit??

The travel advisory is not uncommon.   Seems to apply to an area that is known for gang violence.   As I do anywhere just be aware of your surroundings.   

I will be in Nassau in a little over 2 weeks and plan on walking over to Junkanoo beach, maybe the Fish Fry area and probably some shops on my walk back.    

I avoid stops at the Straw Market building, I find them pushy.     

This will be my first visit with new shops open at the newly designed port.   I was there several times during construction and look forward to exploring now.

I have heard the Pirate Museum is neat to visit at least once.   

The alert is just a reminder, and the level II status is not new. In fact that is the status in many EU countries and other popular cruise destinations.

The misinformation from the news media that was posted in this forum has created undue confusion…

We spent two weeks on New Providence, visiting several residential neighborhoods and never felt unsafe. As anywhere, common sense prevails…

Edited by blue_water