Valletta Malta Itinerary help needed

I have read most of the Valetta posts, but I think I need some wisdom from the experts.

We will be there in late May from 8:00 - 6:00.  We would love to do 3 things, just not sure if its feasible and if it is, what is the best way to do it.  

We would love to go to the Blue Grotto in the morning, visit the Hypogeum and then Valletta.

I would love any advice on the best way to fit this all in.

@zinniagirl

The Hypogeum only allows 10 people in at a time about 4 or 5 times a day. You must book it now and then plan your day around that. A taxi can take you to the Blue Grotto and Hypogeum. You don't need transport to Valletta, the ship docks there and you just walk around. Save it for after the other two.

Edited by marazul

On 2/19/2024 at 2:23 AM, zinniagirl said:

and then Valletta.

There is a steep uphill walk from the waterfront to Valletta itself, so ideally you would want to be dropped off in a central uphill area.  If you only have time for one thing in Valletta, make it the Barrakka Gardens for the incredible views across the Grand Harbour. if you have extra time, exiting the gardens means you are in the heart of the city with a number of sights within minutes of walking..   There is a cannon fired at 12 noon and again at 1600 from the gardens  if that would interest you.

Read the usual Tourist informatuon websites, Tripadvisor, Youtube and others for additional sights you might want to prioritise to suit your own interests and your available time.

From the Gardens you can either walk down to your ship, or take the lift down. It is free going down, only 1 euro to go up.  If you are visiting the city first and want to take the lift up from the harbour, at the port exit, turn right and walk along a few hundred yards on the flat road until you see the lift access across the street.

And do plan to be up on deck a little under an hour before arrival into the Grand Harbour as it is one of the most scenic arrivals of anywhere in the world. Forward or starboard facing for the best views. Local boat trips of the GH are available although you will already see it twice when arriving and departing.

Edited by edinburgher

I agree with Marazul re: arranging the Hypogeum reservation first. Depending on timing you could see the Grotto before or after. (If you are just planning a photo stop it won't take that long. Personally I didn't find it that impressive.)

I'd have your taxi drop you off at the Co-Cathedral. I'll have to differ slightly with edinburgher and say that if you make time for one thing in Valletta, it should be this impressive building. Do NOT miss the Caravaggio paintings in a separate area of the cathedral. I think they may have an audioguide -- if they do it's worth getting it so as not to miss all the many small details in the cathedral. The Grand Master's Palace is also worth doing.

For me, seeing the Barrakka gardens was just a quick walk-through enroute back to the ship. There is an elevator there that can quickly transport you down to the harbor level without having to walk down the longer, slopey road.

@zinniagirl 

And I agree with @cruisemom42 on the Co-Cathedral and Grandmaster's Palace.  One word of warning.  The Co-Cathedral is open to tourists between 9 am and 4:15 pm (last admission).  It is closed to tourists on Sundays and church holy days.  If you are there on one of those days, you can attend services and seat quietly to admire the church, but you will not be allowed to roam inside. 

https://www.stjohnscocathedral.com/visit/

And book the Hypogeum here:

https://heritagemalta.mt/explore/hal-saflieni-hypogeum/

On 2/20/2024 at 3:44 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I'll have to differ slightly with edinburgher and say that if you make time for one thing in Valletta, it should be this impressive building

I don't think I would say that the views from the Upper Barrakka Gardens are the #1 sight in Valletta, but they are astonishing and surely in the top 3 or so. Visitors go there, not so much for the gardens themselves, but for the views.  For anyone on a cruise ship down on the waterfront, the chances are high that some passengers  (even those on a private or taxi tour) will at some point find themselves uphill in the city centre and want to either get up there from the waterfront or go down from there  to the waterfront, and the lift is both easy, inexpensive and practical, also within the gardens meaning the viewpoints could not be easier to access.

As a bonus, Valletta can become extremely hot, and small as they are, the gardens do offer some shade and a few places to sit and rest, but the views are the main attraction..

Edited by edinburgher

On 2/20/2024 at 3:44 PM, cruisemom42 said:

For me, seeing the Barrakka gardens was just a quick walk-through enroute back to the ship. There is an elevator there that can quickly transport you down to the harbor level without having to walk down the longer, slopey road.

Did you not even take a tiny peek at the view during your walk-through?

18 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I don't think I would say that the views from the Upper Barrakka Gardens are the #1 sight in Valletta, but they are astonishing and surely in the top 3 or so.  For anyone on a cruise ship down on the waterfront, the chances are high that some passengers  (even those on a private or taxi tour) will at some point find themselves uphill in the city centre and want to either get up there from the waterfront or go down from there  to the waterfront, and the lift is both easy, inexpensive and practical, also within the gardens meaning the viewpoints could not be easier to access.

As a bonus, Valletta can become extremely hot, and small as they are, the gardens do offer some shade and a few places to sit and rest.

16 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Did you not even take a tiny peek at the view during your walk-through?

No need to defend your recommendations, I was merely trying to provide a different point of view. 😉  I always try to suggest things here based on what I would tell real-life friends not to miss. It's good to give options....

As I've mentioned many a time, I am more a student of history, architecture, archaeology, art. I'm afraid natural wonders don't hold that much charm for me. I found the gardens crowded and the few benches in the shade were occupied the couple of times I've been there. 

(And yes, I stopped to look at the view. 😊 )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I found the gardens crowded and the few benches in the shade were occupied the couple of times I've been there

Then rather sadly no different from many other locations in Europe nowadays.!!