Rental car from Juneau Airport

mncbabu_yahoo

With my employee benefits, I can rent a car in Avis Juneau Airport for very less amount (about $30 for a day). However renting the car at cruise port is expensive. I am thinking of taking a taxi from cruise port and rent a car in Airport. We can go to Mandenhall glacier with the rental car. We can finish the Mandenhall glacier visit by noon. What can we do rest of the afternoon in Juneau, with flexible options with rental car? The ship docks at 8 am leaves 9 pm.

Agree with both of the above.  Also, drive by the Governor's mansion, and then out Basin Rd to the end where you can hike a little and check out the mining museum.

Drive down Skaters Cabin Rd and stop by the cabin that overlooks Mendenhall Lake.  Maybe hike a little bit of West Glacier Trail.

If you like craft beers, stop by Forbidden Peak Brewery in Auk Bay.  

We always rent from the airport…short ride, so much cheaper…I concur, all the above mentioned are top notch. Peak brewing and Alaskan brewery are good stops. There are great trail heads around the shrine and eagle beach as well. Have a great trip 

We are thinking of the exact same but without an employee benefit based low rate. still much cheaper than if renting from the cruise port. May I ask what's the public transportation option to get us from cruise port to the airport please? I checked the website (https://juneaucapitaltransit.org/routes/riverside-airport-connector/) and it seems there is no direct bus that goes into airport and one would have to connect at valley transit center bay 1? if so, that maybe too time/efforts consuming to give up on. 

thank you for confirming! looks like taxi is the only option. Just did some quick maths: car rental (without employee discount deal) from airport + taxi cost + tip is equivalent to the Mendenhall tour cost for 2 ppl. Those tours are priced very strategically. 

Frankly, even if it is costly, the freedom of having your own car and exploring at will is worth far more than the taxi fare.  You're on vacation.  Just pay the money and go have an extraordinary day.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:51 PM, sharon_pei said:

We are thinking of the exact same but without an employee benefit based low rate. still much cheaper than if renting from the cruise port. May I ask what's the public transportation option to get us from cruise port to the airport please? I checked the website (https://juneaucapitaltransit.org/routes/riverside-airport-connector/) and it seems there is no direct bus that goes into airport and one would have to connect at valley transit center bay 1? if so, that maybe too time/efforts consuming to give up on. 

We took the city bus to the airport last summer and rented a car. We caught the bus at the transportation hub in down town. You do need to walk a couple of blocks into the airport but it wasn't a big deal.