So, let’s call it “⅓ of “the Big One” - we’re back on World-Cruise-Sojourn!

shark b8

I have figured out how to play yesterday’s archived game of L.A. Kings hockey in our room.  I’m excited about it.  Mrs Sharkbait is……less enthusiastic.  

Edited by shark b8
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shark b8 said:

I have figured out how to play yesterday’s archived game of L.A. Kings hockey in our room.  I’m excited about it.  Mrs Sharkbait is……less enthusiastic.  

Did you need a VPN to access that US-based content? If so, what are you using? 

No, I’ve had differing results using a VPN.  Worked great in China (not on a ship) but for me has been temperamental onboard.  The Tune-In app is what I’m using, you can play games live, or after the fact, which of course is necessary with the time zone thing.

• Thanks 1

Before we left I tried to find out when the Keller/Solis transition was going to happen on the Sojourn, all I could find was “in the spring”.  So I went ahead and made Keller reservations online just because, well, because I could. Just got the email below from Seabourn.  So the transition will happen during the last week for us (ending in Shanghai), with Solis then being up and running for those onboard through Singapore.  If this has already been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it, apologies for the duplication.

Dear Seabourn Guest:

We are reaching out to advise you of a change to your fine dining reservation for The Grill by Thomas Keller.

As you may be aware, Seabourn is introducing Solis, a new fine dining venue celebrating Mediterranean cuisine inspired by the destinations visited by our ships. The new restaurant will offer an array of light, modern Mediterranean cuisine bursting with color and character, handcrafted and prepared fresh daily. The new dining experience has been meticulously curated to bring Seabourn’s signature elegance and sophistication to our fleet of ultra-luxury ships, ensuring that each meal becomes a truly memorable occasion.

Our implementation schedule to replace The Grill by Thomas Keller with Solis has been adjusted as a result of our deployment changes due to the conflict in the Red Sea region. Solis will now debut on Seabourn Sojourn on April 5, 2024. As a result, your reservation will be accommodated at Solis on the date reserved at the same or similar time. You will see this updated on your booking by March 1, 2024.

We trust you will find Solis an exquisite addition to Seabourn’s onboard culinary experience. Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shark b8 said:

If this unreadably small or light I’ll try to split it up into multiple more readable pages.

IMG_1061.thumb.jpeg.5a25202877be6dc00ccd86c3212ec3ec.jpeg

Are the wines included? If not what is the charge. 

9 hours ago, shark b8 said:

If this unreadably small or light I’ll try to split it up into multiple more readable pages.

IMG_1061.thumb.jpeg.5a25202877be6dc00ccd86c3212ec3ec.jpeg

I see the Sommelier is Joanna!  Is this your current cruise or a past one? Good to know that Joanna is back with SB if current. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isklaar said:

I see the Sommelier is Joanna!  Is this your current cruise or a past one? Good to know that Joanna is back with SB if current. 

Jo was the Sommelier from LA and will be there until Cairns. She is not employed full time with Seabourn but is doing contract work when needed. Phillipe is the Head Sommelier in TK and Jo would have him co-host the Sommelier lunches as he is also very knowledgeable. I think Kevinash will take over from Jo in Cairns.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Is this your current cruise or a past one? Good to know that Joanna is back with SB if current. 

Thanks frantic36 for answering the question.  Yes, she is only onboard for another few days, she told us last night at TK Grill.  And they’re doing another pairing dinner tomorrow night, as well.  Twice in 3 nights is a little heavy, but we’re on vacation, so what the hell.  And Stu, this was an option, cant remember exactly but I think it was around $150 p/p.   Since there is interest, I’ll try to remember to confirm who replaces Jo, but remind me if I lose track of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Anyone know what this might be?

It looks a contestant in the onboard ship building contest Seabourn does on transatlantic crossings.  Maybe the previous WC segment had that as an activity?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, johng75370 said:

It looks a contestant in the onboard ship building contest Seabourn does on transatlantic crossings.  Maybe the previous WC segment had that as an activity?  

Yes it was and held on a sea day just before we got to Sydney. I missed seeing it unfortunately so I can't tell you if this was the winning boat. But from my friend's description of the winner I think it might be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have left Cooktown and set sail for Darwin.  Several sea days ahead, so maybe here’s a question for the non-port-stop next few days.

During last year’s full World Cruise I booked something absolutely everywhere, almost every port, several months in advance.  I regret nothing, although I will confess that we returned home with fairly advanced cases of CTBFS - “Chronic Tour Bus Fatigue Syndrome”.   Surely among the First-est of First World Problems, but….nevertheless.

As a consequence, I have not yet booked shore excursions (Seabourn or otherwise) for most of the next several weeks, preferring to just settle in and see what appealed to us.

I’d ask this wonderful collective assemblage of cruisers - are there any experiences you would highly recommend, “you just gotta do this?”   (port destinations below)

Darwin (we’re there overnight, looking around at Kakadu options), Dili, Kupang, Banda Naira, Ambon, Bitung, Ternate.  

Like getting hot tea in the morning, from the Square, in my 2023 World Cruise tea mug.  Unfortunately, it didn't survive the trek to Sydney.  On the bright side, the 2024 version appears to be unbreakable.  

IMG_0973.thumb.jpeg.a10c02a720956636910530bc08a51dfb.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg.7a66e6b4b750ef36efd5a77721b14d9a.jpeg

• Like 1

…and, in the category of “who really gives a *&^%?”  

Am I missing something?  My knowledge of historical waste-basket design is non-existent.  But…..what is the point of this?  Other than insuring a dramatically higher percentage of stuff that you toss into it, bouncing off and ending up on the floor?  

IMG_1121.thumb.jpeg.5362c6ece38a07a0e35a5ad65fd420e4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2