Piraeus Cruise Terminal - Piraeus Ferry Gate 8

LIMPIT

We are sailing on Infinity in June, and at the end of the cruise we have booked 3 nights at Aegina one of the Saronic islands.

Our ferry departs Gate 8 and depending on which Terminal A, B or C Celebrity use at Piraeus we plan on self disembarking to allow arrival at the Ferry Gate by 9.15am latest, the distance looks around 1 mile on Google Maps, maybe a bit nearer if Terminal A, so maybe walkable with luggage or otherwise taxi, anyone else had any experience of this process  ? 

Might be better off posting this in the port forums instead of Celebrity, and a moderator might move this post there.  That being said....

I didn't take a ferry after I disembarked but it's going to be a 15-20 minute walk.  We waited 20 minutes for taxis and we were on a smaller ship.   Not sure a taxi driver is going to want to do a trip just around the port unless you give a big tip, perhaps equivalent to going to city center?. 

I personally would walk it but I'd keep the amount of luggage down, ensure luggage has really good wheels.  

9:15am is doable even with a walk providing you get off the ship early enough.   Leave at least an hour for the walk (in case you need to stop for breaks) plus time for baggage retrieval, possible passport and border control/customs.    Your ferry is late enough you shouldn't have a problem.

BTW, you can also pre-arrange a car for more $, and you *may* be able to pre-arrange a taxi via FreeNow but I'm really not sure if they are able to cut the taxi line.

Edited by mtempelaar
  • Thanks 1

I do not believe Athens assigns ships to a specific berth until close to arrival. This is true of several large ports in the Med. I've looked at 3 different port calendars (including the official Greek one) and none of them list the anticipated berth. 

I've been in Piraeus many times, in all three cruise port areas (A, B, and C). Area A has a terminal and is obviously closest to the ferries but I believe it is usually reserved for smallest ships unless you are the only one in port. There is a large taxi rank at Area A but from my recollection taxis are also available at B and C, just not as many of them. If you are one of the first off the ship, you may be able to poach a waiting taxi to take you to your ferry, especially since it is a short trip and they'd have time to get back in the queue for passengers wanting to go a longer distance.

From Terminal A and with luggage I think it would be AT LEAST a 20 minute walk. It's definitely a longer walk from B (and longer still from C). There is no port shuttle.

It's possible that an operation like Welcome Pickups (like a pre-reserved taxi) would let you pre-arrange a transfer with them at a set price. 

With the departure time you give, you should have time to walk it, if necessary -- the question is whether you want to (or are able to) do it with your luggage. I'd want to be at the ferry terminal no later than 9:00 am and if possible a bit earlier.

• Thanks 1

I walked from the metro station back to Terminal B last year.  I had walked to Terminal A previously.  On the previous trip, there was a shuttle bus taking you from Terminal A to B.  However, when I arrived at Terminal A this time, there was no shuttle bus running.  Terminal A was dead (no ships docked at that time on that day).   So I started walking to Terminal B.  I started to walk along the route that the shuttle bus had taken me on the previous trip... along a roadway close to the water.  I was stopped by a guard and told that I could not do that.  He made me leave the port area and walk on the elevated street (Akti Miaouli on Google Maps) toward another port entrance (for Terminals C and B).  This route took me MUCH longer than I would have anticipated.   I would not have wanted to be dragging luggage along for that much time.  And it was along an uphill/downhill street due to the elevated roadway.

I would pay a taxi a significant premium to take me to the Ferry Pier.  I think I would do this even if I was permitted to walk along the waterfront route.  It's further than you would think.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LIMPIT said:

We are sailing on Infinity in June, and at the end of the cruise we have booked 3 nights at Aegina one of the Saronic islands.

Our ferry departs Gate 8 and depending on which Terminal A, B or C Celebrity use at Piraeus we plan on self disembarking to allow arrival at the Ferry Gate by 9.15am latest, the distance looks around 1 mile on Google Maps, maybe a bit nearer if Terminal A, so maybe walkable with luggage or otherwise taxi, anyone else had any experience of this process  ? 

We had to catch a ferry to Naxos and needed to get to the gate across the street from the train station (about a mile walk).  With luggage we did not want to hike so simply got a taxi at the port.  Since it is such a short haul we did negotiate a price (about 10 Euros) to be fair to the driver.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1