Comparing the two #1 rated, Adult only, cruise lines

WanderingBrit

On 2/25/2024 at 7:45 AM, janetcbl said:

The only reason we don’t pay gratuities in advance is we have often had excursions cancelled and end up wit a lot of extra OBC, which is helpful in paying for gratuities at the end of the trip.

Aren't the gratuities for the crew of the ship?   For excursion those are dispensed from what we saw to the guides and drives at the end of the tour.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:04 PM, ericosmith said:

By the same token, I prefer they be added automatically.  I don't want to have to go to a desk to add tips.  I know, many people like to tip individually and personally but how else are the people you never see going to share in the tips.  Yes, I'd prefer they'd be included in the fare but it's not much different when they charge them automatically.  Oh, and I've yet to see a line whose price includes gratuities that doesn't point that out in capitol letters.  

We just got off our first cruise.  I see no problem with the auto add, and then for the waiters and our room steward we gave them something extra when we saw them at the various dining venues or during the cruise for our steward.  BTW they were all excellent, was an amazing environment!

• Like 2

My final thought after our first Viking, we found it a good value and deserving of whatever they have been able to market as the "best smalll cruise".  

When we reflect back on the food, entertainment, ship and intangibles of the experience as well as the port offering for the included we have no regrets with the money we paid nor the choice going with them for our recent cruise.  They have a niche, and hope they can hold that niche as I would sail them again if that is the niche I'm looking for on my next cruise, YMMV

We had the chance to mingle with a few couples on the tour shared meals, on board, and during the social time.   I wasn't surprised by the average age, but more the actual backgrounds. But I don't cruise necessarily based on who my mates would be, but I know if you are looking for a certain ambience than your mates become part of that consideration and Viking might not be for many people. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chipmaster said:

My final thought after our first Viking, we found it a good value and deserving of whatever they have been able to market as the "best smalll cruise".  

When we reflect back on the food, entertainment, ship and intangibles of the experience as well as the port offering for the included we have no regrets with the money we paid nor the choice going with them for our recent cruise.  They have a niche, and hope they can hold that niche as I would sail them again if that is the niche I'm looking for on my next cruise, YMMV

We had the chance to mingle with a few couples on the tour shared meals, on board, and during the social time.   I wasn't surprised by the average age, but more the actual backgrounds. But I don't cruise necessarily based on who my mates would be, but I know if you are looking for a certain ambience than your mates become part of that consideration and Viking might not be for many people. 

We too like the variety of backgrounds as you mention.

We find Viking guests - those that we engage with anyway - to be very interesting.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Clearly we've never met!

Now I am intrigued!  Perhaps we will cross paths on a future sailing.

• Like 1