Comparing the two #1 rated, Adult only, cruise lines

WanderingBrit

3 hours ago, millybess said:

I understand what you're saying.  The line up at Guest Services is usually fairly long the day after the gratuities have been added, and I doubt that they're there to increase the amount.

After the first Viking cruise, one knows what to expect.

I simply do not like the fact that Viking adds something to the bill and imposes a burden upon me if I want to remove the charge.  If they really wanted the charge to be optional, one would be able to remove the charge via the app or through the TV interface.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I find being called things like a "Mega Rock Star" incredibly off-putting. In many ways hubby & I would probably be Virgin's target audience: both tattooed (hubby esp.), we enjoy dressing in retro rockabilly-style clothes, and we enjoy being in our 40s with no kids. But VV just seems so .. for a lack of a better word .. tacky

I don't want non-stop rock/pop throughout a ship. I don't want swings on my balcony. I don't want to "play all day, sleep at night." It all seems a bit too try-hard for our tastes. I want a quiet space where I can read or do my cross-stitch. My hubby wants to learn about wildlife and history.

Really, while I think VV has an audience, I don't think there is much of a crossover with Viking. 

• Like 7

We just returned from a 12-day trip to London. Every restaurant in that wonderful city added a discretionary 12.5% service charge to our bill. This didn’t bother us at all; the service and food were both excellent, and we appreciated that we didn’t have to pay the charge (though we did every time).

That’s why it’s hard for us to understand the angst on this thread about the Viking gratuity. Like the restaurant charges we paid, the gratuity is discretionary. So if you don’t like the service Viking provides, then don’t pay the gratuity! There — problem solved.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

That’s why it’s hard for us to understand the angst on this thread about the Viking gratuity. Like the restaurant charges we paid, the gratuity is discretionary. So if you don’t like the service Viking provides, then don’t pay the gratuity! There — problem solved.

Would one have to go to a guest services counter at the restaurant before they left for the evening to dispute the charge?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mwike said:

Would one have to go to a guest services counter at the restaurant before they left for the evening to dispute the charge?

As I wrote above, we paid the discretionary service charge at every restaurant — so we don’t know the process for reversing the charge.

Edited by SJD117

1 hour ago, mwike said:

I simply do not like the fact that Viking adds something to the bill and imposes a burden upon me if I want to remove the charge.  If they really wanted the charge to be optional, one would be able to remove the charge via the app or through the TV interface.  

And there you have it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

As I wrote above, we paid the discretionary service charge at every restaurant — so we don’t know the process for reversing the charge.

Point is your comparison of a restaurant to Viking is apples to oranges due to the method of charging the gratuity.  One is discretionary where the customer determines the amount at point of sale.  The other is discretionary where the business determines the amount, and the customer has the right to object which entails standing in line at a guest services counter.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:43 PM, WanderingBrit said:

The Virgin decor is very modern, shiny marble and bright colors, and there is pop/rock music almost everywhere, almost all the time

I would jump overboard. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

I’ve done a Virgin cruise out of Miami to the Caribbean and found that Virgin definitely caters to a younger “hipster” crowd. Their demographic target group for other destinations might be different. 

I will say that their restaurant venues were creative and interesting and their food was excellent.

The swimming pool area almost seems like it was an afterthought, in my opinion it’s very poorly designed. Even the common areas on the ship were choppy and not conducive for relaxing. The cabin layouts are unconventional. The balconies include a hammock to sit on; while it was a fun novelty, they weren’t very comfortable to sit on for any length of time. 

There is probably a market for their brand, but it doesn’t include me, as I don’t plan on cruising with them again. 

On 2/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, duquephart said:

Indeed. But at least you know what you're getting - or not getting. With Viking you pay the price and are later informed that there is more to pay ("gratuities").

So why do you keep involved with Viking?  Seriously?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

So why do you keep involved with Viking?  Seriously?

Viking doesn't do anything to "hide" the gratuities from you---if you are an educated shopper, you learn about who includes tips and who does not quickly.  Land tour companies don't always include tips either.  Nobody puts a gun to your head or makes you walk the plank if you don't want to tip.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Viking doesn't do anything to "hide" the gratuities from you---if you are an educated shopper, you learn about who includes tips and who does not quickly.  Land tour companies don't always include tips either.  Nobody puts a gun to your head or makes you walk the plank if you don't want to tip.

Land tours usually suggest tips - they don't bill them.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

You quoted the wrong person.  I totally agree with what you've said.  Nobody forces people to go walk the plank as you say.  My point is - then why do people continue to complain about "having" to walk the plank.  Just give it up if it doesn't suit you and stop complaining.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You quoted the wrong person.  I totally agree with what you've said.  Nobody forces people to go walk the plank as you say.  My point is - then why do people continue to complain about "having" to walk the plank.  Just give it up if it doesn't suit you and stop complaining.

But Kent, some people just like to complain!   😁

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 4

On 2/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, duquephart said:

Once you know about them you know about them. But they are basically sprung upon first timers - in which case the price is not the price.

I knew in advance they weren't included.  It's easy to find out.  

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We'd be right behind you! I'm so thankful for this review. This sounds like our worst nightmare. 

Same here!  It wasn't sounding so bad until the non-stop music thing was mentioned.  Nooooo!

10 minutes ago, Frisky070802 said:

I knew in advance they weren't included.  It's easy to find out.  

Not everyone goes looking for information not provided. I'm only suggesting that there are people who feel they are done paying for a cruise once they have paid for the cruise. Something billed later is what is known as a hidden cost. I'm guessing many first time customers just assume they have paid for everything upon booking.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Land tours usually suggest tips - they don't bill them.

Are we to assume that you prefer to never leave tips? Many are getting fed up tipping absolutely everyone that didn’t previously ask for tips. Counter service for example. Or do you think Viking should include the tips and charge more? I think I’d prefer that. We leave extra tips anyway, on top of the billed ones, if we are extra happy with the service from a particular person. 

16 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Not everyone goes looking for information not provided. I'm only suggesting that there are people who feel they are done paying for a cruise once they have paid for the cruise. Something billed later is what is known as a hidden cost. I'm guessing many first time customers just assume they have paid for everything upon booking.

I think the large number of cruise ads that say "gratuities included" would cause people to wonder if they're added in when it doesn't say that.  Maybe some people are caught off guard, but I have to think the number is low.  And as someone pointed out, it's in the Viking documentation.  

17 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I’ve only done Viking ocean. Don’t most or all of the other lines have lots of added costs when you board. So you «are done paying for the cruise » until you board and then pay for so many extras: specialty dining, drinks, excursions and on. I think Viking is close to all inclusive. I agree they should include gratuity though, and just raise the price a bit. Makes it easier, imho. 

26 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

I’ve only done Viking ocean. Don’t most or all of the other lines have lots of added costs when you board. So you «are done paying for the cruise » until you board and then pay for so many extras: specialty dining, drinks, excursions and on. I think Viking is close to all inclusive. I agree they should include gratuity though, and just raise the price a bit. Makes it easier, imho. 

"close to all inclusive" and inclusive are two different things. And --- we're not talking about other cruise lines.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

Are we to assume that you prefer to never leave tips? Many are getting fed up tipping absolutely everyone that didn’t previously ask for tips. Counter service for example. Or do you think Viking should include the tips and charge more? I think I’d prefer that. We leave extra tips anyway, on top of the billed ones, if we are extra happy with the service from a particular person. 

"Are we to assume that you prefer to never leave tips?" Why would you assume that? How businesses handle tipping has nothing to do with what I do.

• Haha 1