Looking for ideas for Kusadasi other than Ephesus

I did a B2B a few years ago that had Kusadasi on both cruises.  So I was there twice, one week after another.  This was my first visit.  On the first visit, I did the ship excursion which spent the most amount of time at Ephesus.  This included the Terrace Houses.

On the second trip, I didn't see any excursion that interested me other than one that went to Ephesus.  But this time it was a shorter time at Ephesus.  Basically just a walk down the main drag.  Then we proceeded to another ruin site called Magnesia.  Then we went on to Miletus where there was a very impressive theatre.   Finally we went to Didyma, which had a very impressive Temple of Apollo.  I actually enjoyed the second trip to Ephesus as well.  It was good to hear 2 guides version of what I was seeing.

So while I saw Ephesus twice, I still spent much of the day at other very worthwhile ruin sites.  This was a Royal Caribbean excursion named "Best of Antiquities".  If you can find a way to get to the non-Ephesus sites mentioned above, it would be an enjoyable day.  Assuming you're into Antiquities!  😀

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Any combination of the following ancient sites: Didyma, Miletus, Priene (involves an uphill walk to reach site), Magnesia.

Didyma has an amazing temple to Apollo where there was an oracle in ancient times, similar to Delphi in Greece. Miletus (Roman) has a great, well-preserved theatre and some baths. Priene is predominantly Greek ruins, very atmospheric. 

If your day in Ephesus is long enough, sometimes you can get to Aphrodisias, a very interesting site that served as a center for sculpture in the ancient world.  https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1519/

Even further is Hierapolis and Pamukkale. Pamukkale is a natural wonder and Hierapolis is a very interesting ancient Roman site that was known for its worship of the gods of the underworld:  https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/485/

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

It might not be for you, but my last time there (my 3rd) I stopped in a lovely hammam after wandering a while. Loved it, but not for the modest! Sorry, but I cannot remember the name of the place.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Last summer we took a tour called Jeep Safari To Zeus Cave And Dilek National Park and it was CRAZY!   We had to climb over a fence and down a rocky incline to get to the Zeus Cave, which was dark, much deeper than it looked, freezing, and a marvelous experience. There were many stops and it was beautiful.  The jeeps chased each other in circles, there were multiple water fights, it was something else. I think the best part was when the driver poured cold water down my sister's back (during a water fight) and instead of getting upset, she marvelled at what it was like to be an Israeli getting teased by a Turk. If you are into off-beat experiences, I highly recommend this one. We got it from Viator, if I am not mistaken. And they got us back to the ship on time, even with a beach stop at the end. 

Edited by cruisin cousin

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how adventurous you are, nor how the current logistics are nowadays but we took local mini-buses up to Sirince village which is a cute hilly town back in 2016. Some tour operators can also take you there.  

There's not a tonne to do there but it's kind of a nice walk exploring the village.  There's a also bit of shopping and quite a few restaurants.  You need to transfer buses in Selcuk which gives an opportunity to explore the town a bit beyond the typical tour stop to see the remaining Temple of Artemis column.

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Highly recommend the visit to the ancient cities of Priene, Didyma and Miletus.  Absolutely fantastic,   Not busy but very atmospheric! 

Stunning pics!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 1:53 AM, bennybear said:

Thank you!  I think my visit was a result of your recommendation,  it was truly amazing.  

Can I ask how you got there?

Local transport or tour guide .

On 4/17/2024 at 9:11 AM, bennybear said:

We used Levant Solmaz a local guide who provided transportation as well.   

When did you use Levant?

I was wondering if he is still guiding

Jancruz1