Port anchoring?? Falmouth UK

My Cruise 2018

Anyone in the past have an issue with anchoring in Falmouth Uk ? Viking normally docks but I have noticed that they seem to also schedule anchoring. My understanding is that this port can be cancelled due to strong winds. I would be interested in hearing about your experience. 

Falmouth, at the entrance to the River Fal is a very challenging arrival and has docking times limited by the tides.

The entrance channel is reasonably deep, but it is very narrow, shoaling on both sides. If the wind is blowing, it would not be prudent for the Master to enter the approaches. Once inside, you then alter to port, leaving the main channel.

To approach the berth, the Master requires a specific height of tide to provide the required under keel clearance. Departure time is also limited by tidal height, as once the tide drop below a certain amount the ship is stuck. It has been many years since I have been into Falmouth, so can't remember the tidal restrictions, based on the ship's draught.

If tidal conditions dictated an early departure, rather than docking for only a few hours, they can anchor in deeper water, within the bay, so pax can have the full experience in this amazing area, using tenders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, My Cruise 2018 said:

Anyone in the past have an issue with anchoring in Falmouth Uk ? Viking normally docks but I have noticed that they seem to also schedule anchoring. My understanding is that this port can be cancelled due to strong winds. I would be interested in hearing about your experience. 

We docked there in 2019 and had no issues. IMG_6623.thumb.jpeg.03b5b6ecc4b6262bfcfbf33a2e99817a.jpeg

IMG_6614.thumb.jpeg.bf99267a8f7794fb76c1a8a99fa2f4d6.jpeg

On 2/20/2024 at 8:31 PM, My Cruise 2018 said:

There is an episode on the TV series "Mighty Cruise Ships" with the Viking Star, I believe season 2, and it goes into some detail about porting in Falmouth, with the timing of tides both getting in and out of port. It was pretty interesting! 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, LissaKay said:

There is an episode on the TV series "Mighty Cruise Ships" with the Viking Star, I believe season 2, and it goes into some detail about porting in Falmouth, with the timing of tides both getting in and out of port. It was pretty interesting! 

Yes, watched that episode. There were several behind the scene issues that the crew handled without passengers aware. Docking was just one of them. It made we more thankful for all the crew do to keep passengers safe, happy and as on schedule as humanly possible. We as passengers need to remember this and also the Mother Nature is in control of a lot that the crew does their best to deal with while on the journey.