What amounts do you cover when getting Insurance.

We are not new travelers and have traveled the world. I booked Allianz the first day we booked our cruise and am now adding the other parts of our seven week journey. We will be back in Sydney, Fiji, back to Sidney for the 17 night repositioning.

When insuring the amount for the cruise I usually keep the taxes and port fees off. I am curious what others do. I think the company has to refund the taxes if you have to cancel. Not certain about the port charges though. This would be before sailing and not a trip interruption where it probably is more complicated.

Just wondering.

Thank You,

Karen

43 minutes ago, renroc13 said:

We are not new travelers and have traveled the world. I booked Allianz the first day we booked our cruise and am now adding the other parts of our seven week journey. We will be back in Sydney, Fiji, back to Sidney for the 17 night repositioning.

When insuring the amount for the cruise I usually keep the taxes and port fees off. I am curious what others do. I think the company has to refund the taxes if you have to cancel. Not certain about the port charges though. This would be before sailing and not a trip interruption where it probably is more complicated.

Just wondering.

Thank You,

Karen

The type of insurance we get, with the coverages that we want, requires that we include ALL non-refundable costs (and also includes the initial deposit even if that was at one time refundable).

So we sometimes try to make hotels "guaranteed to a credit card" (and cancellable such as within 48 hours of arrival) but not actually "paid" to keep the insurance costs down.

In some cases, it's the full non-refundable airline fare, too.  In other cases, if there's a "change fee" or "cancellation fee", then that's all we need to insure.  We try to use awards for wonderful premium international flights (best use of awards ever! 🙂 ), and then it's just the fee to return the awards to the account.

Yes, any pre-paid but refundable costs do not get included in the total needing to be insured... for *our* policy type.

Make sure that you understand how *your* policy works, etc.

GC

I don't know that any cruise line has to refund the taxes if you cancel.  Your insurance should cover that.

My recent claim to a US based insurance company was the full price paid for everything, and the insurance covered it.  Rest assured if the tour company had the responsibility to refund the taxes, then the insurance would not have paid that to me.

• Like 1

Better read the policy.  Twice.  Question every paragraph that details coverage and exclusions.  Understand if there is any wiggle room, they'll issue a denial.

Read customer reviews and complaints on the BBB before buying.   Never take recommendations from people who only know how fast they deposit the premiums.  Listen to people who have attempted to make claims.  See how many of them know what color the checks are, and how long it takes for them to arrive.

6 hours ago, jclinard said:

Better read the policy.  Twice.  Question every paragraph that details coverage and exclusions.  Understand if there is any wiggle room, they'll issue a denial.

Read customer reviews and complaints on the BBB before buying.   Never take recommendations from people who only know how fast they deposit the premiums.  Listen to people who have attempted to make claims.  See how many of them know what color the checks are, and how long it takes for them to arrive.

Very good advice.

I would absolutely use Arch Insurance again because they were very easy to work with and the cheque/check came very quickly.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the responses.i have used Allianz for years and just spoke with their sales department. They were fabulous when i caught covid on the second to last day of our cruise a few years ago when it was mandated we had to stay in Canada another ten days. They told me since I got sick onboard with a pandemic illness that even though my trip only insured the cruise  they would continue coverage since I caught it during the cruise. They ended up paying for ten days of hotels and food beyond the cruise. We were amazed so I stick with them.

Their agent just told me I needed to cover non refundable items on this policy. If we stay a few days with friends in between or in refundable hotels which I always book no need to cover them. In Fiji we prepared several thousand ahead for a hotel and must cover that. She also said the cruise lines can not charge for taxes or port charges if we are not there and have to refund that which I had thought for years.

I know every policy is different. Thank you all for the feedback.

Much appreciated.

Karen

Edited by renroc13
Capitalize I’s

On 2/22/2024 at 3:40 PM, GeezerCouple said:

The type of insurance we get, with the coverages that we want, requires that we include ALL non-refundable costs (and also includes the initial deposit even if that was at one time refundable).

So we sometimes try to make hotels "guaranteed to a credit card" (and cancellable such as within 48 hours of arrival) but not actually "paid" to keep the insurance costs down.

In some cases, it's the full non-refundable airline fare, too.  In other cases, if there's a "change fee" or "cancellation fee", then that's all we need to insure.  We try to use awards for wonderful premium international flights (best use of awards ever! 🙂 ), and then it's just the fee to return the awards to the account.

Yes, any pre-paid but refundable costs do not get included in the total needing to be insured... for *our* policy type.

Make sure that you understand how *your* policy works, etc.

GC

Thank you….flying flatbeds free too! Have managed for years by saving those miles for overseas travels. Thank you. Looks like we do the same.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:31 PM, jclinard said:

Allianz has been very good to us through the years. I was just wondering how people work things that have extended travel dates. Thank you for the feedback….I did reread and called. It is never easy and so much for coverage. We were very lucky with the trip we took out of the country several years ago…..they paid more than I expected. Thank you.