New to Princess…Medallion Questions

laudergayle

Just now, SLWalker said:

If I purchase Ocean Now but do not purchase wifi, would I still be able to order with the Princess App?

Yes. The ship's wifi network supports the Princess App. Connecting your device to MedallionNet wifi costs nothing and will give you access to OceanNow ordering, among other things (locate shipmates, events calendar, etc etc).

If you did choose to purchase internet, you would connect your devices to the same MedallionNet access point and follow the prompts. Once connected, your device will function as if connected to any standard wifi with internet access. 

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

Yes. The ship's wifi network supports the Princess App. Connecting your device to MedallionNet wifi costs nothing and will give you access to OceanNow ordering, among other things (locate shipmates, events calendar, etc etc).

If you did choose to purchase internet, you would connect your devices to the same MedallionNet access point and follow the prompts. Once connected, your device will function as if connected to any standard wifi with internet access. 

Thank you for the quick response!

• Like 1

Also, my husband and I do order drinks for each other on our apps. We just take turns ordering. And I believe somewhere else on cruise critic someone said the apps tell you how many drinks you've purchased so you know if your partner needs to use their app. I don't actually know this for sure as DH and I never get even close to 15 alcoholic drinks a day even if we count both of our drinks all day long.

14 hours ago, Pushka said:

So the medallion is waterproof then?  If looking on Amazon for accessories, do they specifically sell the medallion size or should we search for the Apple AirTag size. Is there a different medallion for each cruise you take? 

Just go to Amazon and type Princess Medallion Accessories in the search bar. Apparently AirTag accessories will also work but I don't have any personal knowledge of that (although I will check it out too.)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cynbar said:

Just go to Amazon and type Princess Medallion Accessories in the search bar. Apparently AirTag accessories will also work but I don't have any personal knowledge of that (although I will check it out too.)

Thankyou. I ended up buying two of the holders that attach to the phone. We've always got our phones and no extra bits to remember to take. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:19 PM, memoak said:

You need the medallion or a cruise card to get on and off the ship you do not need both. If you have a medallion no need for a cruise card and vice versa

Please point out to me exactly where I said both the cruise card and the medallion are needed to get on and off the ship. Where? Exactly.

SMH

Edited by Bgwest
Reading comprehension.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Please point out to me exactly where I said both the cruise card and the medallion are needed to get on and off the ship. Where? Exactly.

SMH

You mentioned other cruise lines (MSC) where you need 2 devices (1 to open the door and a different device to leave the ship). I was simply pointing out that on Princess you only need one device for everything 

37 minutes ago, memoak said:

You mentioned other cruise lines (MSC) where you need 2 devices (1 to open the door and a different device to leave the ship). I was simply pointing out that on Princess you only need one device for everything

“It’s really neat that the medallion can be used for going ashore either for excursions or at the end of the cruise. On OTHER cruise lines…….”

I’m sorry I made it difficult for you. 

a Lanyard will work fine for us... no need to splurge for medallion accessories 

on our only cruise to date (celebrity) we had a lanyard with our card on it and we just hung it up on a metal hook in our stateroom and every time we left the room we took it with us....

but it's good to know you can use the app  on board without needing wifi

Edited by Muffinz

35 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

“It’s really neat that the medallion can be used for going ashore either for excursions or at the end of the cruise. On OTHER cruise lines…….”

I’m sorry I made it difficult for you. 

Ain’t no big deal 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

but it's good to know you can use the app  on board without needing wifi

The Princess terminology is misleading and technically incorrect. You definitely do need wifi to use OceanNow. However, wifi is free. Internet access is not.

Princess refers to MedallionNet Wi-Fi as a single term.

• Wifi is the network protocol that allows your device to connect wirelessly to the shipboard network. This access is free and allows you to use the app to order drinks (if you have Plus or Premier or pay the one-time OceanNow fee), to check your folio, and to access all of the other onboard options of the app.
  • MedallionNet is the Internet connection that you have to pay for if you don't have Plus or Premier.

In summary, to use the app onboard, you need wifi (free) but you do not need MedallionNet (not free).

18 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

The Princess terminology is misleading and technically incorrect.

Not to de-rail the thread too far, but this isn't a Princess problem so much. The public at-large has been wrongly conflating "wifi" with "internet" forever.  Princess is simply marketing using terms people understand. It's not their job to educate people. They are selling internet access... excuse me, wifi.