Semi-Live NCL Epic: February 25 - March 3, 2024

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Sailing12Away was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

image.png.a3be0671d91d8dfb89dfd5d72e795fdf.png

Ok kids, the time is here for another adventure on the Epic. This will be our 3rd time sailing on her, but the first time since the renovations that were done during Covid, so we're excited to see the differences. Our friends are staying in the 2br Haven room we had last time, so I'm going to see if I can dig up some of the photos I took from that trip years ago to retake some new ones of the same views for a side-by-side comparison. 

Between our free wifi minutes and unlimited data when on land (yeah Tmobile), I should be fine for posting updates as we go. But priorities this trip will be confirming the cookie and hash brown situation (I already know about the crispy pucks, they're not even on the menu anymore :classic_sad: ), overall food quality in general (going to try a new trick for the wings at O'Sheehans), test how quickly we can run out of certain types of booze (don't worry, we're bringing our own on board as well), soak in a nice tub with some bubbles, and just get away from the NY cold for a few days. 

Normally our trips are about the itinerary first, and other stuff secondary. But this trip is a bit unique as it's about the people joining us first and foremost. Anything else is fluff and bonus. On our Panama Canal trip we were lucky to be in the Haven for 15 days, and got to sail with an amazing group of people. Even on a 7 day trip you can form some great friendships in a short amount time, so imagine the fun when you get a great group of fellow travelers on a journey twice as long. Two of those couples we met have husbands named Bob, and both of them decided to take another February trip and the timing, pricing, and interest were there where they both booked the same one. UK Bob reached out to me and simply said "NCL Epic, February 25th 2024. Be there, or be square." Hence this trip has been coined internally as the Bob-O-Rama trip.

image.png.82fcee35a0cc3ae2a4148bc81644e22c.png

To steal a phrase from another dear 🐀 friend I didn't 'pull the trigger' right away, because we had just gotten off of Prima and weren't too happy with how that went. But I had it added to my spreadsheet and was tracking the prices and # of remaining rooms. After final payment date the prices started to drop a bit and remaining cabins started getting snatched up. When there was just 3 Haven cabins left that I could see online, I called up my PCC and asked her what price she was seeing. She only saw 2 cabins left, and found a bonus 10% off coupon we were eligible for, some free OBC, and her price with taxes & fees was cheaper than what I saw online and was comfortable with so we just went with it. For some things she's great and I'll keep letting her make the booking (I always know my own price going in first though), but other things... not so much. As for external TA's - I'm swearing them all off for good. Don't get me started on the debacle I'm fighting with my upcoming Galapagos trip on Celebrity.

The next day I was peeking again and there were different cabins open, so we were able to move to the one we originally wanted on deck 16, and will be next door neighbors with our old cabin with the shortest walk possible to the bar. Priorities baby...

We've got another set of friends who were interested in tagging along as well, but they have a more complicated situation at home to juggle than us just finding a dog sitter for a week. By the time they were able to sort all that out, Haven had been sold out for several weeks. We had offered our 2nd bedroom up to them and they're aware that it's on the small side, but the price is right, they'll have access to the Haven, and it's a week of sunshine and fun with friends. So @oteixeira and his wife will be sharing the cabin with us and can chime in on how comfy it is for adults in there. 

The roll call for this trip has been fairly non-existent, but if anyone else is joining us feel free to add your own commentary and photos as we go.

Edited by Sailing12Away
  • Like 7

All checked in for our flights, packing is mostly done (just need to pack the champagne), and planning on running to the bank for cash for the dog sitter & butler/bartender tips while the dog is getting a last minute bath. She's a beefy 85lb couch potato, hound/pit mix.

image.thumb.png.bae1f1bd2721ae4ada9872ecb4fafcf0.png

image.thumb.png.da956864e2ee74d9891310e8686b9b28.png

For GSC we booked the 2br villa at Silver Cove. We've got 14 people so far sharing it, so that certainly helps with the cost. For now we haven't booked an excursion anywhere else, figure we're going to wing it at most places. Amber Cove will be new for us as is GSC, so we may book a last minute something or other there to get away from the port a bit.

San Juan we just want to get to Old Town (still not sure which port we're coming in at) and walk around, eating and drinking our way through town. Have a few places that we've bookmarked, so we'll see if that pans out for new snacks to munch on (alcoholic milkshakes with a cookie cup anyone? Drunken Cookies https://www.instagram.com/getdrunken/?hl=en).

Upcoming weather:

Cape Canaveral

image.thumb.png.27a058bce72942aed3dff249d2b66476.png

GSC Bahamas

image.thumb.png.f2c8d944703dfa137765fbacd4f475bc.png

San Juan (we have an umbrella, and despite being evil at times we will not melt in the rain)

image.thumb.png.6ed69b1a6d6578dd5428e85df34e5f61.png

St. Thomas

image.thumb.png.cc65c0627b23c64d9c19ef19ed1e4132.png

Amber Cove DR

image.thumb.png.52c38f296f0e3d02f0da1351fb4f8079.png

Sure beats what is expected back home...

image.thumb.png.a378deb569682368491e08e2ea22be78.png

• Like 4

We normally don't fly in a day early for same coast trips, but haven't been to Orlando in some time so figured we would take a day or two to ourselves first. Flight prices were insane (or I'm out of touch with reality), so we ended up using credits from my Delta Amex for a one way trip down, and points from my Capital One card for a one way flight back home. We're used to being able to get down to Florida for around $200/pp, but these flights were double-triple that. 

Looked into heading to Universal for just 1-2 days as we've never been there before. But unless you go for 5+ days, the pricing is insane (I'll just own up to it now I suppose, I've become an old curmudgeon I suppose). $150/pp/day just to get into the park, extra if you wanted to visit more than one park per day (not sure how that would work if you didn't have it as one of the Harry Potter rides takes you from one park to the other), extra if you don't want to spend hours waiting in line, extra extra extra. Worse than the NCL nickel & diming complaints. 

So if we stayed at a property close to the park and did 2 days with their park hopper thing, it would have cost us over 1K. For 2 days visiting Harry Potter and friends. Pass, I'll go back to England and visit the real Harry Potter studios first at that price. So we peeked at Disney, figuring we could just go visit the new Star Wars stuff. Nope - just as bad. 

We're not really Disney folks. Love the food & wine festival, and dig the Star Wars stuff... but I'm not dropping a thousand bucks on 2 days there. So we opted for just one day pre cruise, staying at a modest hotel near Disney Springs, and booked tickets for the Disney version of Cirque for the night. https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/drawn-to-life

Have a few places in mind for dinner afterwards, but just planning on walking around and vegging most of the day. If all goes well tomorrow we'll be from our front door at home to the gate of the plane in ~40 mins thanks to TSA pre check, and sitting near the hotel pool by 10:30am.

Dog is fresh and clean, so time to finish that last minute packing checks and go walk her over to the sitter.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Excited to follow along.. We are going on the Epic in a club balcony in December..  Slight concerned just because of the age and the uniqueness of the rooms... Hopefully your trip will get us super excited and allay some of our concerns!! 

Our first NCL trip was on the Epic in a club balcony suite. It was hubby, myself, and my MIL sharing the cabin together. The bathroom situation is a bit unique, but we made it work.

If it was just hubby & I there wouldn't be any issue, he's seen my bits and pieces so a shadow of them behind the frosted glass wouldn't be a big deal. With MIL we all wanted to be a bit more modest. But there's a curtain you can draw to separate the bathroom area from the living area. So at night we would pull that curtain and leave the potty light on as a night light, and if anyone needed a tinkle during the night it wouldn't both anyone else.

For showering, we just coordinated when we would each shower. So she typically would wait until we were done first, then we would head to the bar while she showered in the room alone. The only concern was if someone wanted a mid day shower, if you come into the room while someone is in the shower you would need to walk past them. Again - it was no big deal, just more of coordinating schedules and such. 

• Like 2

We'll be this Sunday as well (and also leaving a big couch potato/65lb lab/rescue mix at home!).  We'll look for your comments (and might add as appropriate?!): Cruise well, my friends!  

bern.jpg

• Like 3

Feel free to chime in as much as you want @CWMixer. All thoughts, opinions, and photos of cute pups are allowed.

Finally all packed up (almost forgot the luggage tags that were hanging on the fridge). Hubby waits until the last minute, so had to do some finagling with his gadgets to get the latest software updates installed, games loaded up, and batteries all charged.

In the process though of him packing up his messenger bag for the plane he found an envelope from the last trip. Inside was about $400 cash from when we got a refund for unused OBC the last trip. So I'll give you all one guess as to who is holding onto any leftover money after this trip....

Minor setback tonight as we'll be short one companion on our journey Sunday. Between the port fees, drink package, and prepaid gratuities it was over $500 coming back our way, so that's a plus considering we thought there was a chance the refund would be 0. Would still much rather have the full gang, but well life isn't always easy or predictable.

Flight is boarding at 6:20am from terminal 4 at JFK, which means a nearly mile long walk to the gate. So definitely getting up earlier than originally planned... need to stop booking Delta if they're going to keep flying out of terminal 4. 

• Like 2

From the front door of our house to the gate of the plane in 45 mins, and that includes waiting 5 mins to get a spot to hop out of the Uber. JFK was packed, but once you got inside it was fine.

Plane is empty, so we have a row of 3 in comfort plus for just the 2 of us. Yeah!

IMG_20240224_054905.jpg

IMG_20240224_055007.jpg

IMG_20240224_062115.jpg

IMG_20240224_062712.jpg

• Like 8

Looking forward to your semi live report. Hoping for smooth travels for you guys.

You said you had dinner plans in mind but if you’re going to the Cirque show tonight, might I suggest you consider City Works. It’s nearby and has a great menu and food is very good. It’s a brewpub type of place so if that’s not your thing then ignore my suggestion.

• Like 1

Off the plane and in the Uber to the hotel by 10:15. Lines at MCO to fly out of there were insane.

Quick stop in the Harry Potter store for a new headband (the one I bought nearly 8 yrs ago is finally wearing down) and on our way to the hotel.

NCL reps were there with signs, not sure if there's another ship leaving today.

IMG_20240224_070025.jpg

IMG_20240224_071405.jpg

IMG_20240224_071205.jpg

IMG_20240224_071420.jpg

IMG_20240224_071439.jpg

IMG_20240224_071526.jpg

IMG_20240224_072151.jpg

IMG_20240224_092838.jpg

IMG_20240224_095854.jpg

IMG_20240224_100057.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Looking forward to your semi live report. Hoping for smooth travels for you guys.

You said you had dinner plans in mind but if you’re going to the Cirque show tonight, might I suggest you consider City Works. It’s nearby and has a great menu and food is very good. It’s a brewpub type of place so if that’s not your thing then ignore my suggestion.

Thanks, it was on the list of possible. We saw an Asian place Hawkers that we were considering too. Trying to get something we can't get on the ship for 7 days if possible to mix it up.

18 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Off the plane and in the Uber to the hotel by 10:15. Lines at MCO to fly out of there were insane.

Quick stop in the Harry Potter store for a new headband (the one I bought nearly 8 yrs ago is finally wearing down) and on our way to the hotel.

NCL reps were there with signs, not sure if there's another ship leaving today.

IMG_20240224_070025.jpg

IMG_20240224_071405.jpg

IMG_20240224_071205.jpg

IMG_20240224_071420.jpg

IMG_20240224_071439.jpg

IMG_20240224_071526.jpg

IMG_20240224_072151.jpg

IMG_20240224_092838.jpg

IMG_20240224_095854.jpg

IMG_20240224_100057.jpg

Pretty sure the Escape leaves from port Canaveral today, they're usually on the Saturday circuit 🙂 Have the best trip! Thanks for the live! 

3 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Was there anything special happening in the circus tent on board? Years ago they had a dinner show.

On day 7 they did a broadway themed show - it seemed like maybe something they were just rolling out as part of the new entertainment direction - otherwise it went unused

Room was ready so we relaxed a bit before heading out. Wandering through Disney springs and grabbed a quick lunch at the Polite Pig. Great bourbon flights, food was decent. 

Going to walk and wander and find another bar to top off at before our 5pm show tonight over here.

Good bourbon certainly makes dealing with the excessive Disney lovers easier. Going to have to have some of that Blanton's when we get on board. The Stagg was really good too.

IMG_20240224_124333.jpg

IMG_20240224_124927.jpg

IMG_20240224_125509.jpg

IMG_20240224_125721.jpg

IMG_20240224_125728.jpg

IMG_20240224_125904.jpg

• Like 5

Cirque show was just ok. I like more acrobatic stuff, hubby liked the story line more, but it was ok overall.

We walked around and grabbed a bunch of snacks, debated about dinner, then just walked back over to the hotel. 12k steps today (my normal is only around half that much), and we were up since 4:45am so we were toast.

5+ hr wait for Gideons, so we went on the virtual queue before the show then were able to get in the smaller 15 min line by the time we got out. The peanut butter iced coffee was with the wait alone, will try a cookie for breakfast tomorrow.

Had wanted to grab an Uber and eat somewhere away from Disney but didn't feel like a $25 ride each way. Looked into delivery but the options were somewhat limited. Settled for just a kid chicken tenders and hot dog from the hotel Cafe, we were still stuffed from lunch anyway.

Calling it an early night then off to the port tomorrow.

IMG_20240224_142347.jpg

IMG_20240224_142512.jpg

IMG_20240224_140951.jpg

IMG_20240224_165510.jpg

IMG_20240224_193116.jpg

IMG_20240224_193201.jpg

IMG_20240224_193205.jpg

IMG_20240224_193341.jpg

IMG_20240224_193615.jpg

IMG_20240224_193630.jpg

IMG_20240224_193921.jpg

IMG_20240224_195823.jpg