Chair Hogs

twoshay

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

the problem is it is hardly ever enforced as the crew do not want to get into confrontations with passengers

I’ll let you know how it works out on this cruise.

• Thanks 1

10 years ago we booked a Lanai stateroom on the Volendam, we had two dedicated loungers outside our door to the lower promenade deck and several times we had to ask passengers to move from our chairs, even though there was signage about the chairs being reserved for the particular cabins. 

691141433728992.webp

The signs on the wall are small and could be overlooked, although the glass sliding door is a big hint. I've seen passengers in lanais put out their own large, laminated signs saying something like "this chair is reserved for cabin 000" or something like that.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Was surprised to see this on the Nav App this morning on the NS.  It was not there last week.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.5b07df948d3f57c4f1fef41d3e736c78.png

I guess it is better than nothing but doesn't go far enough. A time limit isn't stated or suggested and it doesn't say the pool attendants will be actively monitoring unoccupied loungers. Sadly, without a more thorough 'plan of attack' this posting is meaningless in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The signs on the wall are small and could be overlooked, although the glass sliding door is a big hint. I've seen passengers in lanais put out their own large, laminated signs saying something like "this chair is reserved for cabin 000" or something like that.

Once someone left a towel on our deck chair, I guess to reserve it, that we promptly removed. One of the times when I asked a passenger to move from our chairs, she said "what's the harm you weren't using it" 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Once someone left a towel on our deck chair, I guess to reserve it, that we promptly removed. One of the times when I asked a passenger to move from our chairs, she said "what's the harm you weren't using it" 

Certainly is an intriguing 'balcony'. Very old school. That said, time for the gag plastic vomit that I remembered as a kid :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Certainly is an intriguing 'balcony'. Very old school. That said, time for the gag plastic vomit that I remembered as a kid :classic_biggrin:

Great idea. Wonder what TSA would think when they saw it in your luggage?

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

Was surprised to see this on the Nav App this morning on the NS.  It was not there last week.  Wonder if it will be enforced?IMG_0187.thumb.png.5b07df948d3f57c4f1fef41d3e736c78.png

So, if a person is swimming, they will remove their stuff? 😒

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, if a person is swimming, they will remove their stuff? 😒

Of course not.  But I saw towels removed from 4 chairs set up before 8 am removed by the staff about 10.  I never saw anyone occupy the chairs.  I think the warning has made a bit of difference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Of course not.  But I saw towels removed from 4 chairs set up before 8 am removed by the staff about 10.  I never saw anyone occupy the chairs.  I think the warning has made a bit of difference.

I am on the same ship. By just after 6am an entire row of lounge chairs at the end of the lido pool was “reserved” with a combination of flip-flops, books and personal belongings that nobody occupied during the time I spent having coffee. They should have sent that notice out last night because by 8am when it went out there were literally dozens of loungers being held. 

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Of course not.  But I saw towels removed from 4 chairs set up before 8 am removed by the

31 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I am on the same ship. By just after 6am an entire row of lounge chairs at the end of the lido pool was “reserved” with a combination of flip-flops, books and personal belongings that nobody occupied during the time I spent having coffee. They should have sent that notice out last night because by 8am when it went out there were literally dozens of loungers being held. 

staff about 10.  I never saw anyone occupy the chairs.  I think the warning has made a bit of difference.

So, on the same ship one of you saw it working and one of you saw it not working!

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, on the same ship one of you saw it working and one of you saw it not working!

That could just be the timing of the observation. They both mentioned chairs were reserved at 8am but only one noticed the removal at 10am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

You were able to witness and document this 'abuse'. I don't see why the crew can't adapt to this ie. if you grab a chair in the morning and you leave your stuff is removed. At that point you don't have to allow a time limit. If you aren't in the pool you lose your chair. Where are you going... to breakfast well no saving a lounger for that.... to your cabin....well you just came from your cabin. OK if one person is sitting there and one leaves I don't think anyone will hassle you. I know chair hogging can still be an issue later in the morning and admit it is harder to police then but first thing in the morning it should be clear cut and in my opinion would eliminate a large segment of chair hogs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

You were able to witness and document this 'abuse'. I don't see why the crew can't adapt to this ie. if you grab a chair in the morning and you leave your stuff is removed. At that point you don't have to allow a time limit. If you aren't in the pool you lose your chair. Where are you going... to breakfast well no saving a lounger for that.... to your cabin....well you just came from your cabin. OK if one person is sitting there and one leaves I don't think anyone will hassle you. I know chair hogging can still be an issue later in the morning and admit it is harder to police then but first thing in the morning it should be clear cut and in my opinion would eliminate a large segment of chair hogs.

There needs to be some leeway for brief times away from the chair. Bathroom, quick run to the Lido to get a snack to take back to the chair, etc. It's hard to know if someone is in the pool, so that can get tricky. 

Maybe every hour, someone walks along the loungers and for those that have been "claimed," roll everything up in the towel and leave it. Next hour, any towel rolls still there get removed. Chairs whose occupants have returned will still have their chairs but the hogs will not. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There needs to be some leeway for brief times away from the chair. Bathroom, quick run to the Lido to get a snack to take back to the chair, etc. It's hard to know if someone is in the pool, so that can get tricky. 

Maybe every hour, someone walks along the loungers and for those that have been "claimed," roll everything up in the towel and leave it. Next hour, any towel rolls still there get removed. Chairs whose occupants have returned will still have their chairs but the hogs will not. 

I agree but people who run to the bathroom or for a snack are not going to be hassled as they would only be away for 10-15 minutes? Also most will have people with them on an adjoining chair? Again I think it is the 6AM let's reserve four chairs and come back at 9 that are the main problem. 

The rolled up towel or tag on chair is a good idea.... I can already hear the neighboring chair person pleading.... we are in the bingo tournament, if an attendant comes by can you please unroll the towel or remove the tag. That said it least it is a start.

The main problem is the crew really doesn’t like to be the bad guy and enforce any rules. During Covid when masks were mandatory and guests weren’t complying the staff said nothing and wouldn’t. They rarely enforce the rules against children in the hot tub or fitness center. They are trained to be nice and not say no to guests so it’s against their nature to police the guests. But we all know that rules that aren’t enforced are meaningless. That’s what the chair hogs (and breakers of other rules) rely on. 

• Like 1

I saw the video that was put out on a Carnival ship. They have a sticker that has a space where the time the sticker was placed is noted and another space where it says if you haven't returned by XXX your belongings will be removed. 

• Like 3