Basic WiFi package

Traderboy

On 4/14/2024 at 11:47 PM, awhcruiser said:

How do you share a hotspot without using data?

I Have a Samsung s23 ultra.  I shutoff data roaming, login to the ship WiFi, then I am able to toggle my hotspot button on the phone. At this point I put my phone in airplane mode and my WiFi and hotspot stays on. 

16 minutes ago, Bosjoe said:

I Have a Samsung s23 ultra.  I shutoff data roaming, login to the ship WiFi, then I am able to toggle my hotspot button on the phone. At this point I put my phone in airplane mode and my WiFi and hotspot stays on. 

Yes, most Android based phones can do that.  iPhones cannot.  With an iPhone you must be connected via the Cellular in order to share over your WiFi.  That's why I travel with a travel router than is capable of two WiFi connections simultaneously. 

On 4/16/2024 at 7:51 PM, DaKahuna said:

Yes, most Android based phones can do that.  iPhones cannot.  With an iPhone you must be connected via the Cellular in order to share over your WiFi.  That's why I travel with a travel router than is capable of two WiFi connections simultaneously. 

What I'm reading here seems very interesting although I'm extremely confused. 

Both my mom and I have Samsung (android) phones. I have S21, she has S22. 

We have the 1 device package. 

Are you saying that (somehow), we can both be on wifi at the same time even though only 1 device package was purchased? 

If yes, please explain in detail. I've heard of Hotspot but am not familiar in how to use it. 

Thanks so much!

30 minutes ago, CruiserQ123 said:

Are you saying that (somehow), we can both be on wifi at the same time even though only 1 device package was purchased? 

No I am saying the one of you that bought the 1 device package can create a log in and log in from their device.  If the other person wants to log in, the person currently using the account must log off and give the login information to the second person.  1 Device using 1 login account can be connected. 

30 minutes ago, CruiserQ123 said:

If yes, please explain in detail. I've heard of Hotspot but am not familiar in how to use it. 

A Hot spot is a feature on smart phones that turns them into a wireless access point.  An android device can simultaneously connect to one WiFi network, in this case the ship's WiFi service that was purchased, and at the same time, we in Hotspot mode (it's normally found under settings), become an access point that a second device can connect to via WiFi.  You need to know what you are doing when you do this because the have the risk of setting up and open WiFi access point that anyone can use. 

If you are not familiar with it, I would recommend you do not risk it.  However, if you have sufficient time to learn, I am sure there are many video's on YouTube that show how to do this. 

I am an iPhone user and the iPhone is only able to Hotspot between WiFi and Cellular services and the last thing you want to do is connect to the ship's very expensive cellular service. 

36 minutes ago, CruiserQ123 said:

What I'm reading here seems very interesting although I'm extremely confused. 

Both my mom and I have Samsung (android) phones. I have S21, she has S22. 

Thanks so much!

I would google your phone model of how to set up a hotspot as the person you quoted has a different model.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is when you go into settings, network, and hotspot.  So once you successfully get your phone in hotspot mode, you would log in X's wifi, which would then share the wifi through your hotspot.  Then your mom simply connects to your phone's wifi.  Your phones will need to somewhat be near each other and it will split the speed between the two of you

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I would google your phone model of how to set up a hotspot as the person you quoted has a different model.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is when you go into settings, network, and hotspot.  So once you successfully get your phone in hotspot mode, you would log in X's wifi, which would then share the wifi through your hotspot.  Then your mom simply connects to your phone's wifi.  Your phones will need to somewhat be near each other and it will split the speed between the two of you

***Also replying to DaKahuna but I'm not sure how to add him/her into this message also. 

I have 2 months before the cruise, so if I learn how to use hotspot and am sure not to connect to the ships cellular service, would this mean I WOULD be able to share the wifi at the same time as my mom? We would both just have weaker signals?

Edited by CruiserQ123

8 hours ago, CruiserQ123 said:

I have 2 months before the cruise, so if I learn how to use hotspot and am sure not to connect to the ships cellular service, would this mean I WOULD be able to share the wifi at the same time as my mom? We would both just have weaker signals?

If done correctly, yes that is my understanding from other android phone users.  I would recommend you practice setting this up on your home WiFi network to make sure you understand how to do it and that you are doing it correctly before trying it on the ship.

Not necessarily weaker signals but you would be sharing the bandwidth.   The signal strength would depend on how far the phone connected to the ship's WiFi is from the ships WiFi access point and the signal strength on the other phone would depend on how far it was from the phone connected to the ship's WiFi.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CruiserQ123 said:

***Also replying to DaKahuna but I'm not sure how to add him/her into this message also. 

Yes...To simplify it, you connect to X's wifi 1 device plan, turn on your wifi hotspot and your mom connects to your wifi hotspot.  You can even connect additional devices but the speed is split between them

You cannot do this with an iPhone.  However, you can with a laptop running Windows or a Mac

We have the basic wifi package included in our cruise.   Does this mean that both of us in the cabin can login on one device each?  Or is it just one device per cabin at a time?

2 hours ago, sushraya said:

We have the basic wifi package included in our cruise.   Does this mean that both of us in the cabin can login on one device each?  Or is it just one device per cabin at a time?

The package is person,  just like drink package 

4 hours ago, sushraya said:

As @Ex-Airbalancer said, it is one login account per person with a single device per person at a time.  You can use multiple devices and your wife can use multiple devices but only one device at a time for each of you can be connected.