Inside Passage w/ Glacier Bay: Grand Princess vs. HAL Koningsdam vs. HAL Zaandam

Ileneilene123

OK, OP here — I’m back w/ an update, a twist and another question. Here goes:

First of all, thank you all for your helpful responses. It’s been a journey. Initially we booked our group of 10 onto the HAL Koningsdam for 2025. Then, some of us got cold feet about the cost. We are now down to 2 couples. 

For just the four of us, this summer 2024 is actually better than waiting until 2025. Unfortunately, we decided this too late for the Koningsdam — our “must do” excursions, including Tracy Arm, are sold out for our potential 2024 dates. 

The next best option for 2024 is the Zaandam. It has the dates that we need, the ports that we want, it’s truly inside passage the entire way, and all of our dream excursions are available. No, the Zaandam was not our first choice (older, with fewer bells and whistles) but we are going for it and now we are excited!

So, I’d appreciate a little more help from those familiar with the Zaandam. I’m trying to pick cabins on Zaandam now: Any advice on selecting a Vista cabin on the Zaandam?

Specifically, we are looking at Deck 6 (Verandah) Vista balcony staterooms. Midship, maybe port side above the Explorations Cafe? Around A 6188, A 6190. But open to suggestions. 

We really want a quiet location. Above, Deck 7 is all cabins — so that’s good. Below, Deck 5 is the Upper Promenade Deck — but we are hoping it wouldn’t be loud right above the Explorations Cafe? There are some Vista cabins on Deck 7 but they are below the Lido, which someone reported was loud.

Anyone notice any issues with weird noises on Deck 6 — creaking, vibration? One reviewer said their balcony was creaking loudly enough to keep them awake. Has anyone experienced this on Zaandam? Thx again for your continued help. 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I had a huge inside cabin on the Oosterdam also! I agree - it was the nicest inside cabin on any ship I have had. I later had a balcony on that ship and it was probably 1/2 the size. The inside wasn't an accessible cabin - it was like a deluxe cabin or something. It was nice. Corner couch, etc...

That's how ours was.  Our son slept on that corner couch that made up into a nice bed.  It was his first time to not be in a pullman!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

OK, OP here — I’m back w/ an update, a twist and another question. Here goes:

First of all, thank you all for your helpful responses. It’s been a journey. Initially we booked our group of 10 onto the HAL Koningsdam for 2025. Then, some of us got cold feet about the cost. We are now down to 2 couples. 

For just the four of us, this summer 2024 is actually better than waiting until 2025. Unfortunately, we decided this too late for the Koningsdam — our “must do” excursions, including Tracy Arm, are sold out for our potential 2024 dates. 

The next best option for 2024 is the Zaandam. It has the dates that we need, the ports that we want, it’s truly inside passage the entire way, and all of our dream excursions are available. No, the Zaandam was not our first choice (older, with fewer bells and whistles) but we are going for it and now we are excited!

So, I’d appreciate a little more help from those familiar with the Zaandam. I’m trying to pick cabins on Zaandam now: Any advice on selecting a Vista cabin on the Zaandam?

Specifically, we are looking at Deck 6 (Verandah) Vista balcony staterooms. Midship, maybe port side above the Explorations Cafe? Around A 6188, A 6190. But open to suggestions. 

We really want a quiet location. Above, Deck 7 is all cabins — so that’s good. Below, Deck 5 is the Upper Promenade Deck — but we are hoping it wouldn’t be loud right above the Explorations Cafe? There are some Vista cabins on Deck 7 but they are below the Lido, which someone reported was loud.

Anyone notice any issues with weird noises on Deck 6 — creaking, vibration? One reviewer said their balcony was creaking loudly enough to keep them awake. Has anyone experienced this on Zaandam? Thx again for your continued help. 

Personally, I pick cabins that are between floors with cabins - above and below.  If you have that option, I would go that route.  I realize it's late in picking cabins and that you're lucky there are verandahs left at all.  But if you only have that option, definitely cabins above you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 6:15 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

Personally, I pick cabins that are between floors with cabins - above and below.  If you have that option, I would go that route.  I realize it's late in picking cabins and that you're lucky there are verandahs left at all.  But if you only have that option, definitely cabins above you.

Thanks. We went with a mid ship Vista cabin on Deck 6. The specific cabin was recommended by two posters on CC. Our friends are next door. Unfortunately,  the Vista cabins on Zaandam all either have public space above or below. We chose Deck 6 so we have cabins above us & the Explorations Cafe below. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

• 4 weeks later...