Inside Passage w/ Glacier Bay: Grand Princess vs. HAL Koningsdam vs. HAL Zaandam

Ileneilene123

2025 7-Day Inside Passage + Glacier Bay, Round Trip Vancouver? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I am new to planning a cruise and wondering if I actually found all options for this itinerary, or are there other options I may have missed? Search Criteria:

*2025 7-day inside passage cruise w/ Glacier Bay. 

*Round trip from Vancouver. 

*July or the last week of June (or first two weeks of August as a back up). 

*No pre- or post-cruise land tour

*Question 1: I came up with these 3 ship options. Did I miss any other options for our dates & other criteria?

Grand Princess - Sailing July 15 

HAL Koningsdam - many departure dates

HAL Zaandam - many departure dates

*Question 2: is the Grand Princess truly “inside passage” b/c it looks otherwise from the mapped itinerary. Will we be in rougher waters for half of the itinerary? What about on the two HAL ships? 

*Question 3: Which ship/itinerary of the 3 would you choose & why? We are a group of 10 people in their 20’s and 50’s, well-travelled but new to cruising, with limited vacation time.

Thank you very much! Here are links to the 3 ships and their itineraries (hope these links work):

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=A520

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise?destinationIds:(A)&embarkPortCode:(YVR)&portsOfCall:(GB1)&departDate:[2025-06-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202025-08-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%2B1MONTH-1DAY]&duration:[6%20-%208]&shipId:(KO)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise?destinationIds:(A)&embarkPortCode:(YVR)&portsOfCall:(GB1)&departDate:%5B2025-06-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202025-08-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%2B1MONTH-1DAY%5D&duration:%5B6%20-%208%5D&shipId:(AA)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

It's looks like Grand Princess does Inside Passage one way, open ocean west of Vancouver Island coming back. So you would be exposed to the possibility of rougher seas. No way to predict if they will, or won't actually be rough. 

I think Koningsdam would be your best choice for all things considered across that variety of pax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Round trip Vancouver with the inside passage and Glacier Bay is a good choice.  Of the two Holland America I would choose the Koningsdam which is a newer ship and offers more entertainment and dining venues.  Both HAL ships show the service call at Tracy Arm.  You have to sign up early for the excursion.  Those who choose the excursion will transfer directly from the cruise ship to a smaller boat which will take you into the Tracy Arm fjord for a close-up view of the glacier and the shoreline.  The cruise ship will go on to Juneau and the boat will take you to the ship in Juneau at the end of the excursion.  It’s worth the cost.  

I agree that the Princess ship looks like the inside passage one way and the less scenic, rougher open ocean the other.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your replies. Sounds like Koningsdam is the best option for us. Would there be any reason why it might not take the inside passage one way at the last minute? I think one reviewer said  her Koningsdam round trip did not actually take the inside passage both ways and never announced the change nor explained why? Of course, I can’t find that review now. 

Which part of the ship/deck/side do you recommend for this itinerary? My husband was thinking mid ship to avoid too much motion? I think other reviews mention aft cabin location, but would we feel the waves more? Also, is the ship’s Queen bed the same size as it is on land?

Ah, thank you too for explaining this: “Tracy Arm Inlet ACCESS TO SHORE LIMITED TO SHORE EX,SERVICE CALL.” I was wondering what this meant.

Also, assuming we want to book HAL Koningsdam for July 2025, do you recommend booking directly on the Holland website, on a 3rd party site or with a travel agent? Is this the right time to book to get the best pricing? Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Thank you so much for your replies. Sounds like Koningsdam is the best option for us. Would there be any reason why it might not take the inside passage one way at the last minute? I think one reviewer said  her Koningsdam round trip did not actually take the inside passage both ways and never announced the change nor explained why? Of course, I can’t find that review now. 

Ah, thank you too for explaining this: “Tracy Arm Inlet ACCESS TO SHORE LIMITED TO SHORE EX,SERVICE CALL.” I was wondering what this meant.

The Captain can decide at the last minute to alter any part of the itinerary. Yes, it happens. It can happen for a variety of reasons or no reason what so ever. 

I highly recommend the Tracy Arm excursion. I would sign up early for it. It is $$$ so save for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My clear favorite of those 3 is Koningsdam.

I've cruised Princess Grand Class and not only are the ships extremely dated with small standard cabins that have no seating area, but those ships are also some of the most crowded I've ever felt.  

Never cruised Zaandam but based on my experience with older HAL ships, I have a very sleepy perception of her. 

I loved Koningsdam.  She is a beautiful new(er) HAL ship with great public spaces and really nice cabins.  I generally recommend a high deck room, but 2 decks below lido.  So, on K'dam, I believe that is deck 7.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Which part of the ship/deck/side do you recommend for this itinerary? My husband was thinking mid ship to avoid too much motion? I think other reviews mention aft cabin location, but would we feel the waves more? Also, is the ship’s Queen bed the same size as it is on land?

Mid ship is a good choice for less motion.  Port or Starboard both provide scenic viewing.  In Glacier Bay the Captain will turn the ship for viewing on both sides or you can go to the outside decks, the bow, or Crow’s Nest.   You have to be outside to hear the sound of the glacier calving.  Aft veranda staterooms offer a view on both sides and are somewhat protected from the wind but the aft of the ship also has more movement in rough waters.  The bed will be two twins or two twin beds put together which seems wider than a Queen.  The Neptune Suites will have a true King size bed.

The Captain will adhere to the itinerary unless weather or other factors come into play.  Most Captains communicate daily with the passengers and if a change is necessary an announcement will be made.

I would not book online.  You may have questions when you book or before you cruise.  If you book through a TA they will answer your questions and handle any issues.  You can call HAL’s reservations line or you can ask for a Personal Cruise Consultant to book your cruise.  Generally the quietest staterooms have staterooms above and below.  You can see the layout of the ship online.  The dining room is at the aft. (quieter most of the time).  The showroom and music venues are closer to the front of the ship (noisier).  Under the pool or the Lido can be noisy.

Alaska is amazing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:29 PM, Aquahound said:

My clear favorite of those 3 is Koningsdam.

I've cruised Princess Grand Class and not only are the ships extremely dated with small standard cabins that have no seating area, but those ships are also some of the most crowded I've ever felt.  

Never cruised Zaandam but based on my experience with older HAL ships, I have a very sleepy perception of her. 

I loved Koningsdam.  She is a beautiful new(er) HAL ship with great public spaces and really nice cabins.  I generally recommend a high deck room, but 2 decks below lido.  So, on K'dam, I believe that is deck 7.  

Helpful! On paper, the passenger capacity is similar between the Grand Princess and HAL Koningsdam. Is it the layout that made the Princess feel more crowded? Or, something else? Thx. 

27 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Helpful! On paper, the passenger capacity is similar between the Grand Princess and HAL Koningsdam. Is it the layout that made the Princess feel more crowded? Or, something else? Thx. 

Yeah, it's gotta be about the layout because looking at the numbers, you wouldn't know it.  Something about the primary corridors that lead fore and aft, and go through lounges create a lot of bottlenecks.  K'dam is more open feeling with less bottlenecks.  In fact, I can honestly say I've never felt crowded on any HAL ship.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Wondering what the technical issues are on the Grand Princess? Thank you. 

I have been on the Grand a ton, including Christmas 2021 (last time). There is one issue where the center stairs don't go between a few floors. I think it is around Deck 5-7 or something like that. This was fixed in subsequent ships. I don't find it to be a big issue as there are other steps in the atrium that hit those floors.

The ship is fine and was in great condition when I was on her last.

The ship has a promenade deck and a covered pool. It is not as crowded as some of the newer ships out there. There are great places for viewing glaciers.

I would have no hesitations sailing on her to Alaska. I personally have not found the Grand any more or less crowded than HAL ships I have been on.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Wondering what the technical issues are on the Grand Princess? Thank you. 

To actually answer this question, I'm not aware of any issues recently.  She does have a history of engine trouble and engine room fire, but I don't think anything major has happened in the past 8 or 9 years.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 6:23 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

Also, assuming we want to book HAL Koningsdam for July 2025, do you recommend booking directly on the Holland website, on a 3rd party site or with a travel agent? Is this the right time to book to get the best pricing? Thanks. 

Use a TA that knows Alaska.If there are any problems, they can take care of it easier than you can.

• Thanks 1

I have sailed all 3 of these ships and Koningsdam would be my pick. Grand, and her whole ship class, is a ship I will never sail again as long as there are other choices. Grand is old and tired, and the cabins look and feel like visiting grandmas house. 

Zaandam is ok. She is nice for that small ship feel, but don’t expect much for evening entertainment. 

I loved Koningsdam. She is a beautiful ship. Whenever I consider HAL, the Pinnacle Class ships are the first I look at. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 1:32 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

It's looks like Grand Princess does Inside Passage one way, open ocean west of Vancouver Island coming back. So you would be exposed to the possibility of rougher seas. No way to predict if they will, or won't actually be rough. 

I think Koningsdam would be your best choice for all things considered across that variety of pax.

Based on the Princess map, I agree they show it returning down the West Coast and entering Juan de Fuca. However, since they are not stopping in Victoria, it makes no sense to steam all those extra miles at a higher speed, to save about 4 hrs of pilotage fees.

Would be very interested to see a posting from anyone who has completed this cruise, as the Grands and Super Grands have no issues in the Inside Passage.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, OP here. Another question. Would love to know folks’ favorite HAL shore excursions in Juneau. I’m such a Newbie and not sure where to look on CC, or where the best place would be to post this question?  Thank you so much!  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Hi, OP here. Another question. Would love to know folks’ favorite HAL shore excursions in Juneau. I’m such a Newbie and not sure where to look on CC, or where the best place would be to post this question?  Thank you so much!  

Shore excursions are pretty much the same, regardless of what cruise line one goes on. Only the price differs. I wouldn't hesitate to book independently. You may want to spend time on this board reading reviews of other individuals  shore excursions.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 6:13 AM, Heidi13 said:

Based on the Princess map, I agree they show it returning down the West Coast and entering Juan de Fuca. However, since they are not stopping in Victoria, it makes no sense to steam all those extra miles at a higher speed, to save about 4 hrs of pilotage fees.

Would be very interested to see a posting from anyone who has completed this cruise, as the Grands and Super Grands have no issues in the Inside Passage.

I was on Crown Princess last summer.  We went outside when the last port was Sitka.  We then went inside Vancouver Island but the weather was bad so that may have been an exception.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I was on Crown Princess last summer.  We went outside when the last port was Sitka.  We then went inside Vancouver Island but the weather was bad so that may have been an exception.

One of the years I did the Alaska season, Sitka was our last port. We steamed a similar route - down the coast from Sitka, but we entered the Inside Passage at Dixon Entrance by Prince Rupert.

With the Crown being a super Grand Class, the most logical course is as you described, steaming down the Alaska Coast, through Hecate Strait and enter the Inside Passage at Queen Charlotte Sound.

• Like 1

Just MPO, but with those ages, I wouldn't do a HAL cruise.  I did one in my late 40s and swore to not do another one until I was in my 80s.  I refered to it as the COP cruise - Crabby Old People.  Besides being run over by scooters, wheel chairs and walkers, there was an abundance of rude, entitled behavior.  But the icing on the cake was all the old people cutting in front of my 10yo for ice cream more than once.  For some people, the fact that HAL ships tend to shut down between 9-10pm, if you're looking for nightlife, HAL isn't it.

The ships are nice, the food is good as is the service.  We had the nicest inside cabin we'd ever had on that ship (Oosterdam).  But we clearly didn't fit into that demographic.

I think Princess would be a better choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

The ships are nice, the food is good as is the service.  We had the nicest inside cabin we'd ever had on that ship (Oosterdam).  But we clearly didn't fit into that demographic.

I think Princess would be a better choice.

I had a huge inside cabin on the Oosterdam also! I agree - it was the nicest inside cabin on any ship I have had. I later had a balcony on that ship and it was probably 1/2 the size. The inside wasn't an accessible cabin - it was like a deluxe cabin or something. It was nice. Corner couch, etc...

• Like 1