Whale Watching - Juneau or ISP?

mrsmichaelene

33 minutes ago, mrsmichaelene said:

I would like to independently book a whale watching tour but unsure if I should do so in Juneau or ISP. Advice and recommendations are appreciated.

ISP (Hoonah) is better IMO.

https://www.g-wind.com Glacier Wind in Hoonah is a great family run company to book with!

• Like 1

They're both going to give you a guarantee of whale sightings, but Juneau has a lot more alternatives available - so unless you are mad keen to do either the huge zipline or a bear tour in ISP, there's pretty much nothing else except a whalewatch in ISP that would eat more than an hour (wandering into Hoonah proper is quick and easy, there's a cultural dance performance at the pier several times a day IIRC, and the cannery that the cruise tender dock was built from has a 'museum' which is basically like a Disney ride queue zone, various little exhibits to look at as you shuffled slowly along waiting to board your tender - now that there's a proper pier so you won't have that experience unless you're unlucky enough to be on a multi-ship-day it would take maybe 15minutes to read all the signs in the building)

20 hours ago, mrsmichaelene said:

I would like to independently book a whale watching tour but unsure if I should do so in Juneau or ISP. Advice and recommendations are appreciated.

This is a copy/paste of a post I made yesterday in response to a similar type of question. It refers to ISP.

Keep a close eye on the water even when onboard or if walking along the shoreline and you might well be lucky.

We and four others took  a private whale watching boat tour with a local vendor who is no longer in business.

ISP is probably even better than Juneau for whale watching and we saw many more than we had expected to.

On the walk along the shoreline when returning to the dock/tender area, we saw two quite close to shore  Once onboard, other pax told us they had seen several from the ship.

We do whale watching in both ports whenever we can --- just a personal preference.

For ISP, we would recommend Glacier Wind.  For Juneau, we would recommend Jayleen's Alaska.  We have gone out with both companies many times and have always had an enjoyable experience.

57 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

The main reason to do whale watching in ISP is that there is a lot more to do in Juneau besides whale watching.  In ISP your options besides whale watching are limited.

Also because I think whale watching is better in ISP/Hoonah.

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

Also because I think whale watching is better in ISP/Hoonah.

I guess it depends on each trip.  I have had better experiences in ISP area (Pt. Adolphus) and better experiences in Juneau sometimes.  YMMV.

29 minutes ago, junglecat said:

I contacted this vendor, and they were the nicest people.  Unfortunately, they are not operating in early May when we cruise.  

So sorry to hear that GW is not available.  What is your ISP date?

11 hours ago, junglecat said:

I contacted this vendor, and they were the nicest people.  Unfortunately, they are not operating in early May when we cruise.  

I am so sorry. I was there May 16th last year. Yes - they are a great family.

Just saw you are going May 3rd. That is early. Though there are sailings going in April now.

Edited by Coral

Maybe look at Alaska shore tours.  They were the only ones operating a whale tour for our stop in Icy Strait Point in April.  Hoping to see whales but if not, I hope that we will see seals or other marine life at least

• 3 weeks later...