Taxi availability in San Pedro?

br111

I'm generally an Uber guy, but after a disastrous experience disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale last year (app was so overloaded that it wouldn't even get to the "assigning a driver" screen) I now like knowing there's a taxi backup. I see several threads here about options from San Pedro to LAX, but didn't see exactly how prevalent taxis are in the port. Is there generally a pretty good supply waiting? On the Navigator so coming back on a Friday. Thanks!

We disembarked at San Pedro both in October and two weeks ago, once at Pier 92 and once from Pier 93. We are early disembarkers, preferring to walk off and get to the taxi line early to avoid the huge crowds. Both times, there were plenty of taxis standing in line right in front of the ship. I was happy to see the taxis, because the last time we had been in San Pedro, pre-pandemic, there were absolutely no taxis to be found that early in the morning, and we had to use a shuttle service van. In October, we used a taxi, but two weeks ago, we decided to try Uber from the port for the first time. We usually don't try Uber when leaving any port (particularly Port Everglades; we also find it a horrible experience), but this time it worked very well. There is a dedicated ride share pickup area, and our Uber driver and I found each other easily.  The wait for him to arrive was less than 5 minutes, the biggest delay with Uber drivers is that last few hundred feet while they snake through all the arriving and departing traffic right in front of the terminals. If you disembark a bit later, the crowds will have swelled, but I suspect finding your driver in the ride share area still won't be a problem

We booked our Uber two days before while at sea.  There were people who had been waiting at the curb for 20 minutes and no promised Uber driver had taken their fare yet.  We walked right to the curb and got in our Uber.  I did see several taxis parked just down the sidewalk a short distance.  

12 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We booked our Uber two days before while at sea.  There were people who had been waiting at the curb for 20 minutes and no promised Uber driver had taken their fare yet.  We walked right to the curb and got in our Uber.  I did see several taxis parked just down the sidewalk a short distance.  

4 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

What time did you disembark?   Is it better to leave early to get a taxi?

Early or late. Our last cruise with my parents my sister who dropped us off couldn't pick us up. We were darn near the last ones off the ship which turned out to be awesome. There was no one in line for immigration control so we breezed through in 20 seconds and there were still several cabs waiting.

Taxi fare to our Newport Beach home was $120 + tip so I figure LAX would be $90-100 + tip.

5 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

As Scott says, early or late is best. When we disembarked a few weeks ago (as we did in October as well), we were among the first off and there were a lot of taxis picking up and dropping off. If you imagine that there are upwards of 3000+ people getting off a ship over the course of only a few hours all crammed in to such a tight area and mixing with an equal number embarking, logic would dictate that trying to find a taxi right in the middle of the disembarkation period could be more of a challenge. As to Uber availability, we took one from our hotel to the port both times, and each time the driver dropping us off also picked up his next fare right at the same spot, so Uber availability early in the process should be pretty good as well..

8 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

We were in no hurry I think we headed off the ship about 0930 hrs.  We did grab a porter which probably saved us 20 minutes clearing CBP and we had Global Entry.