How to insure multi-leg cruise / land based trip 43-45 days

Planning a mult-leg cruise / land based trip that will start with roughly 6-7 pre-cruise days in Milan/Rome, then 7 day cruise out of Rome, return for 4 days land portion in Bologna or Venice then on to an 11 day Italy/Croatia cruise followed by a 13 day Transatlantic Cruise back to the US.   Cost will be roughly 20K (cruise and air, excludes hotels as I plan to book with some level of cancelation options).   We are currently 55 and 64.  The medical and evacuation is probably the most important for us as DH will be on Medicare at the time.

What is the best way to insure this trip?  Annual vs. single trip, other things to consider?

57 minutes ago, mdhbeh_11993 said:

Planning a mult-leg cruise / land based trip that will start with roughly 6-7 pre-cruise days in Milan/Rome, then 7 day cruise out of Rome, return for 4 days land portion in Bologna or Venice then on to an 11 day Italy/Croatia cruise followed by a 13 day Transatlantic Cruise back to the US.   Cost will be roughly 20K (cruise and air, excludes hotels as I plan to book with some level of cancelation options).   We are currently 55 and 64.  The medical and evacuation is probably the most important for us as DH will be on Medicare at the time.

What is the best way to insure this trip?  Annual vs. single trip, other things to consider?

This sounds like one trip... or have I missed that one of the locations is a stay back at your own home?

It sounds like you should just insure this as a "trip", and make sure to get the types of coverages that *you* want.  Different policies can have different coverage types, different exclusions, different maximum amounts, etc.

I'd suggest contacting a travel insurance broker who could help you select from several options.  CALL so they can discuss your specific situation with them to help you find the best fit.

We are among many here on CC who use

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(But again, CALL; the online policy summaries cannot capture the fine print, and your own situation may have special details.)

GC

I agree. Sounds like a single trip to me. Coverage will begin when you walk out your front door and ends when you walk back into the house.

In my opinion, travel insurance is a risk sharing business. If the expectation is to get insurance to cover 100% of all potential situations with no questions asked, then you'll be unhappy. Figure out what's most important to you and cover that potential. Travel insurance can be very complicated but can also be a life saver, physically, mentally, and financially.

I agree with calling TripInsuranceStore. They can help you find the coverage that best fits your needs. They might even have suggestions about things you haven't even considered.

Hope this helps. Safe travels.

Edited by klfrodo

Im taking a similar trip. If you have insurance with the cruise ship and pay with a credit card like Chase Sapphire Reserve couldn’t you just get insurance for the non cruise part of the trip?

We always use Squaremouth dot com for our travel insurance. More specifically we buy Tinleg Gold policy for the primary coverage, 500k for medical, and 500k medical evacuation.  The website is easy to navigate and see what options are offered.

Betty