Questions Re Jewel OTS (Dining,Shows, Condition)

We’ve cruised Royal Caribbean many times (more than any other line) on many of their ships. Wr are considering a 2 week cruise on Jewel OTS  in Europe. Can someone tell me if they still offer the following dining times:

early seating, late seating & anytime dining? 

We always enjoyed the Broadway style musicals that Royal Caribbean offered on many of their ships for a number of years. We were on the Quantum last summer in Alaska and they did not have one. We will be on the Explorer soon and that ship also will not have one. I know some of the ships still do.  Wondering if the Jewel  has most of it’s shows scheduled according to dining seatings, or if 

times vary quite a bit each night?  Is there generally a show of some sort each night? 

any information appreciated!

There is no Broadway show on Jewel. There are a couple of Royal production shows which (IMHO) are very average, otherwise the nightly entertainment is flown-in headliners. 

It’s old school cruise ship entertainment, nothing ground-breaking by any stretch of the imagination. Jewel attracts an older, more traditional crowd and the line-up reflects that.

Show times tend to be the same every night (7pm and 9pm IIRC) to fit around traditional dining times.

Edited by gumshoe958

Thanks so much for the info! Just wanted to know what to expect. May have to do battle trying to get late seating. At least it sounds like they still have some sort of performances at night. A neighbor recently went on a different cruise line, but it’s one of the mainstream American lines and complained that there were only shows a couple of the nights on their week long cruise. 
We pretty much know exactly what to expect regarding the food. I wonder how well  the ship has held up? I thought I read the last refurbishment was 2016 so that’s been a while.

thanks again and I really appreciate your reply.

Spent 25n on her in September- she is a lovely ship but very tired. The chairs in the lounges are practically threadbare! Vintages with the big red chairs is the best bar. 
The crew are great, she has a very friendly atmosphere, and she does the best itineraries in the fleet. In Europe the show times may be later -9.30 as people eat later. 

I was on Jewel of the Seas last week. Dining room first seating was at 5:30, second seating at 8:00, and My Time Dining 6:45-9:00. 

It was a seven night cruise. There was a show in the theater every night except one night (the night of the seventies party). The shows were at 7:15 and 9:15 every night (sometimes 7:15 and 9:30). Some of the shows were production shows using the Jewel singers and dancers, and some shows had feature entertainers. The ship also has a movie theater with stadium-style seating and they show a movie several times per day, a different movie each day. 

The ship was in fine shape and for the most part looked great. 

This was a Caribbean cruise, I suppose it's possible a European cruise could have different meal times and show schedules. 

• Like 1

I’m glad to hear they have shows most nights. We have been on some ships in this class, but it was quite a while back. Yes the glass feature is great because it’s nice to be able to see out here and there and know you’re actually on a ship! As for the late dining in Europe, that could easily be. I was thinking most of the times even in the Caribbean shows used to not start until 10 for the late diners but I think sometimes they did start at 9:30. We’ve been on ships when sometimes the late dining has been at 8:30. We kind of prefer eight most times,though. 

Actually, ALL ships don’t offer early and late seatings anymore although . Perhaps with Royal Caribbean (thankfully), but not other lines.  At least not the ones in the Celebrity’s Edge class. Princess doesn’t have it any longer either. I fear it’s beginning to disappear but I sure hope not! 

Anyway, thanks to all of you for all the news on the Jewel! 

We were on Jewel in 2019 and again this month, and it is better shape now than it was.

We also noted the MDR was better than the past couple of cruises on other RCL ships.

Chops was Chops, awesome, but Giovanni’s was better.  

The RCL shows were average.  The two headliner shows were great.  They had an English singer who was a Celine Dion impersonator, and wonderful.  When we first walked in I thought, oh no, it’s the CD impersonator we saw a few years ago which was so poor we walked out.  But it was not that person this time, and she put on a show.

The second act was a dance duo from Croatia or Serbia, or well I just don’t remember, but they go by “Gold Art Duo”   YouTube has some or their performances from various Countries Got Talent shows, and they were just incredible.

So we were on the great show side of Headline Shows, which is nicer than some of the previous cruises we sailed.  

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson